Author Topic: Views on Revertant Pramote?  (Read 305 times)

Thanisaro85

• When thoughts, sensations, feelings arise,know it
    • Reverend father Jaran, Pramote. Theravada
    • Still breathing.
Views on Revertant Pramote?
« on: April 13, 2021, 05:56:43 PM »
Hi Matthew and sangha,

I am interested in your view pertaining lp pramote.  I would like to understand what is it? This is more for me to see my own blind spot toward his view and speeches.

As i did mention before, i am deeply rooted in theravada. And i mostly read books from theravada monks, only english and thai monks. Some of them, i believe has certain views, which are deeply rooted from their culture, so it may not be credible, or is evident to say it is right. Some of the biased view are easy to spot, but some are not.

So i would appreciate your view on his points.
A Mind Unshaken, when touches by worldy matter, sorrowless, secure and dustless, this is the ultimate great blessing~ Mangala Sutta

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
Re: Views on Revertant Pramote?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2021, 06:54:36 PM »
Hi Thanisaro,

I hope it's OK with you - I split this into a new topic, as it is somewhat a different matter to the original thread posted in.

Personally I haven't looked at many of his teachings - I did watch the video you posted in the thread I started on grief. There are definitely things I appreciate about his presentation. He rightfully points out that in Asia Buddhism has become about rituals, and that this is not what Buddhism is about. In that video he spoke about the mind and body being different things, and this is something I'm not so sure about.

I need to watch more to give better feedback. As I am putting more of my time into practice at the moment I will try to do this.

Warm regards,

Matthew
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

Thanisaro85

• Still breathing.
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2021, 10:46:09 AM »
Hi Matthew,

Thanks for the response. I look forward to hear your view if you have time to do that.

As  I am not expose to a lot of Buddhist sect, i think sometime we might blindly take teaching if we are not able to fully digest them.

Regards
A Mind Unshaken, when touches by worldy matter, sorrowless, secure and dustless, this is the ultimate great blessing~ Mangala Sutta

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2021, 10:49:17 AM »
Thanisaro,

He's doing a better job than most I can say already: he doesn't encourage people to indulge in ritual to win good karma (or the lottery!) - he encourages people to do the hard work of fully facing up to oneself in meditation. This is not so common.

M
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

Middleway

• Just be a witness.
    • Vipassana as taught by Mr. Goenka - Switched to Shamatha
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2021, 03:01:12 AM »
Hi Matthew and sangha,

I am interested in your view pertaining lp pramote.  I would like to understand what is it? This is more for me to see my own blind spot toward his view and speeches.

As i did mention before, i am deeply rooted in theravada. And i mostly read books from theravada monks, only english and thai monks. Some of them, i believe has certain views, which are deeply rooted from their culture, so it may not be credible, or is evident to say it is right. Some of the biased view are easy to spot, but some are not.

So i would appreciate your view on his points.

LP Pramote is enlightened in my opinion (at this time).
Take everything I say with a grain of salt.

Thanisaro85

• Still breathing.
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2021, 12:52:38 PM »

LP Pramote is enlightened in my opinion (at this time).

Hi Middeway,

I hope he is. And i hope we can too, if not, hopefully stream enterer.

What do you think of his teaching? .

Regards

Middleway

• Just be a witness.
    • Vipassana as taught by Mr. Goenka - Switched to Shamatha
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2021, 02:45:21 PM »
His teachings are consistent with Buddha’s teachings as I understand. He teaches from his own experience although he refers to Buddha.

I hope to see him in person some day.

Regards,

Middleway
Take everything I say with a grain of salt.