Author Topic: Full Conversation of Naval Ravikant and Kapil Gupta  (Read 205 times)

raushan

• from India
    • S. N. Goenka switched to Samatha Forest Tradition
Full Conversation of Naval Ravikant and Kapil Gupta
« on: April 14, 2021, 08:25:39 PM »
A full conversation between Naval Ravikant (An angel investor) and Kapil Gupta if anyone interested in this. For me it's mindblowing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBtuqpNZwio&t=178s

raushan

• from India
Re: Full Conversation of Naval Ravikant and Kapil Gupta
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2021, 09:05:07 PM »
Hi Matthew,

I am not sure that I really understand what he is saying. It seems paradoxical to me but at the same time seems to be true. I would like to have your feedback if you have time to listen to this.

dharma bum

• Certified Zen Master (second degree black belt)
    • vipassana
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2021, 12:28:54 AM »
He is using some Buddhist ideas to free yourself to do "amazing things". If you want to do amazing things, then you're obviously not 'free'. Gupta does have a very persuasive, charismatic voice. He is an executive coach, so he is selling his services as one. I have to say I don't particularly find him persuasive.
Mostly ignorant

Middleway

• Just be a witness.
    • Vipassana as taught by Mr. Goenka - Switched to Shamatha
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2021, 12:38:01 AM »
I would go one step further. He is a fraud. He says in that podcast that money is an absolute necessity. Only one species on this planet “needs” and uses money. Isn’t it odd that only humans “need” money?
Take everything I say with a grain of salt.

dharma bum

• Certified Zen Master (second degree black belt)
    • vipassana
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2021, 12:54:53 AM »
I would go one step further. He is a fraud. He says in that podcast that money is an absolute necessity. Only one species on this planet “needs” and uses money. Isn’t it odd that only humans “need” money?

I didn't want to hurt Raushan's feelings. :)

From his twitter:
Merlin to King Arthur. Pythia to Alexander.
CEO's, Professional Athletes, Performing Artists.
(Exclusively by Invitation)
The Private Discourses: Monthly subscription
Siddha Scrolls: Monthly subscription
Apply: Kapil@KapilGuptaMD.com
The Secret Writings: Website
Siddha Arrivals: Detailed course-like systems (website)
Untold Secrets Podcast: Website
Direct Truth Podcast:

All these 'secrets' and permanent cures. But hey, what do I know. Maybe high level executives need this kind of stuff.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2021, 01:38:52 AM by dharma bum »
Mostly ignorant

Middleway

• Just be a witness.
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2021, 08:09:40 AM »
In his interview/conversation/infomercial on the YouTube (that Raushan shared), he says there is no “how to” for extreme performance and yet he charges arm and leg to “coach” people (CEO wannabes) on “how to”.

As people get sophisticated, the con artists get even more sophisticated to swindle them.

raushan

• from India
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2021, 10:10:28 AM »
I welcome everyone's honest view. No, it won't hurt my feelings. I can take my ego getting hurt. :)

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2021, 01:47:30 PM »
Raushan,

I've listened twice, and read some other things from his website, but before I respond to your question, perhaps you could answer mine? What is it you find 'mindblowing' about this? Also, what don't you understand?
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

raushan

• from India
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2021, 05:43:07 AM »
Raushan,

I've listened twice, and read some other things from his website, but before I respond to your question, perhaps you could answer mine? What is it you find 'mindblowing' about this? Also, what don't you understand?

Maybe this is not evident in this audio but overall I would say he doesn't reiterate the same thing that everyone is telling. What he does speak is often entirely different and opposite than others. I would agree with his fact there is an entire self Improvement industry that is often fake and probably doing more harm than doing good.

I agree with him when he tells that in books like "The 7 habits of being an effective leader" and other thousands of similar books all these things are nonsense. When he tells that prescriptions don't work what he is telling that prescriptions arise from our reactions. Often we try to fix the intermediary rather than trying to understand the source. When we try to fix an intermediary without knowing the cause then we often revert back to the same state as before.

Also, he isn't a monk so he doesn't speak in the traditional monk style. He does live in the world and to live in the world we do need money.

So Yes I myself realized these things in my life that's why I found his writings mindblowing. What I don't understand sometimes that he at the same time opposes the traditional mediation methods but talk at the same time about doing the meditation. It seemed paradoxical. But I found same confusion when I was reading the Jiddu Krishnamurti books so I don't entirely assume that he is wrong.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2021, 05:54:32 AM by raushan »

Middleway

• Just be a witness.
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2021, 07:39:04 PM »
Maybe this is not evident in this audio but overall I would say he doesn't reiterate the same thing that everyone is telling. What he does speak is often entirely different and opposite than others. I would agree with his fact there is an entire self Improvement industry that is often fake and probably doing more harm than doing good.

I agree with him when he tells that in books like "The 7 habits of being an effective leader" and other thousands of similar books all these things are nonsense. When he tells that prescriptions don't work what he is telling that prescriptions arise from our reactions. Often we try to fix the intermediary rather than trying to understand the source. When we try to fix an intermediary without knowing the cause then we often revert back to the same state as before.

Also, he isn't a monk so he doesn't speak in the traditional monk style. He does live in the world and to live in the world we do need money.

So Yes I myself realized these things in my life that's why I found his writings mindblowing. What I don't understand sometimes that he at the same time opposes the traditional mediation methods but talk at the same time about doing the meditation. It seemed paradoxical. But I found same confusion when I was reading the Jiddu Krishnamurti books so I don't entirely assume that he is wrong.

Obviously he is differentiating himself from the rest of the self help industry which he also belongs to. Of course, he would criticize all others in his market space and say he is the only real deal. This is marketing 101. He is not selling kitchen cabinets.

Yes, we need money to live in this world. It is convention. But ripping off people by selling 5 min long top secret audio on his website for $500 is ridiculous.

Maybe I should read heart sutra and record a one minute audio and sell it as top secret of TRUTH for $500. Any takers? Sorry, I do not have a total marketing package to go with it.

Raushan, if you did not understand JK and have similarly confused what this gentleman is saying, it does mean he is right. Check your logic on how arrives at that conclusion.

Hope you don’t take this blunt talk personally.

Warm regards,

Middleway

raushan

• from India
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2021, 08:41:27 PM »
I think we should close this topic. I can write the detailed answer that How am I right. Then I will get further answers. I don't think It will be productive discussion. I follow multiple people read multiple books. I like some of the writings. I do not like some of the writings. Many people like Osho. Many consider him fraud.

Middleway I won't be taking it personally. But I guess it's not a good idea to discuss it further. Maybe you're right and I'm wrong. I try to take every teaching lightly.

Middleway

• Just be a witness.
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2021, 10:00:40 PM »
I agree. Let’s close this thread. I realize this is not your intent, but we should refrain from bringing up for-profit self help gurus into our forum discussions.

My apologies for raking up this issue.

Best,

Middleway
« Last Edit: April 16, 2021, 10:02:49 PM by Middleway »