Author Topic: Getting back into the groove  (Read 356 times)

mobius

• vipassana
Getting back into the groove
« on: March 09, 2021, 01:24:24 AM »
I started meditating in 2018. It has been a very strange and rocky road but for most of this time I feel like I have been benefiting myself and slowly progressing. Usually able to do at least a small amount of time being deeply focused and relaxed and quieting my thoughts mostly or totally.

Recently it occurred to me that I hit a plateau or have basically been lapsing big time. I'm not even sure how long this has been going on but it's been several months now at least; since Autumn of this past year at least. I've been sitting and just day dreaming the entire time for 10, 20 minutes or longer. I get no where near the focus I used to. I realized this for a few weeks and thought about it; but not enough clearly and simply forcing myself to get more focus hasn't worked. I'm not sure why this has happened or what I might do to solve this.

The only obvious cause I  can think of is unusual extra stress in my life; I'm looking to buy a house right now and I'm pretty nervous about it. But I'm not constantly thinking about that anyway.
"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

stillpointdancer

• stillpointdancer
  • Retired teacher, deepening understanding of Dharma
    • Insight meditation
    • Exploring the results of 30 years of meditating
Re: Getting back into the groove
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2021, 10:36:14 AM »
If things are stressful or just plain too busy for longer meditations they can merely be an added stress. When this happens to me I try shorter meditations, even a minute or two a day. I can get back to longer meditations when I get time to do them and I'm in a better mental place. If this doesn't work I take a month's break. it's a long term project,so don't worry about times you can't practice.
“You do not need to leave your room. Remain sitting at your table and listen. Do not even listen, simply wait, be quiet, still and solitary. The world will freely offer itself to you to be unmasked, it has no choice, it will roll in ecstasy at your feet.” Franz Kafka

Siddharth

• unlearning, relearning and letting go
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2021, 10:55:16 AM »
If things are stressful or just plain too busy for longer meditations they can merely be an added stress. When this happens to me I try shorter meditations, even a minute or two a day. I can get back to longer meditations when I get time to do them and I'm in a better mental place. If this doesn't work I take a month's break. it's a long term project,so don't worry about times you can't practice.

these days I treat meditation practice similar to having good posture. you can strengthen the muscles at the gym and that helps, but ultimately you've got to sit straight while doing things that you need to do. The same with being mindful/centred/compassionate.
And what is good, Phædrus,
And what is not good...
Need we ask anyone to tell us these things?

dharma bum

• Certified Zen Master (second degree black belt)
    • vipassana
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2021, 02:12:07 AM »
I think over time some staleness can creep into any activity including meditation. Maybe you need to do something different to regain the 'beginner's mind', or perhaps something that challenges you a bit.

https://youtu.be/3vDfq1Yt5to?t=170
Mostly ignorant

dhammaseeker

• Who are you?
    • Vipassana (Goenka)
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2021, 05:19:23 AM »
I try not to let day dreaming bother me. If it happens, it happens. On ocassions when the day-dreaming starts to become a nuisance, I begin with beathing awareness (Anapana).

Oh! When you have a short break from meditation. You can utilise that time to see how it compares against when you were meditating. Its a useful opportunity to analyse how things are different when you haven't been meditating. Just an idea for you to do a bit of self-appraisal.

Take care!

Thanisaro85

• When thoughts, sensations, feelings arise,know it
    • Reverend father Jaran, Pramote. Theravada
    • Still breathing.
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2021, 01:58:38 AM »
t; since Autumn of this past year at least. I've been sitting and just day dreaming the entire time for 10, 20 minutes or longer. I get no where near the focus I used to.

As you already know, our body and mental condition varies from times to times. As you go deeper into the course of meditation, you will realise the aim of meditation is not just focus and going into a thoughtless and calm state.

Can't focus is another mental state itself.. We need to be mindful of the mental state( in your case, can't focus in that 2 weeks) at every meditation sessions. Know it, the can't focus ( at then) and keep knowing it. The arises of the "awareness" to know that the mind can't focus will bring back the focusing by its own.. The "can't focus" mental state will disperse. Then get back to your breathing or whichever anchoring method you are using.

Hopefully i had used an appropriate terminology that correctly described the process. Btw, i thought i had written about the same things, dejavu? :D

Regards.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2021, 03:24:11 AM by Thanisaro85 »
A Mind Unshaken, when touches by worldy matter, sorrowless, secure and dustless, this is the ultimate great blessing~ Mangala Sutta