Author Topic: How to better see whats going on in my unconscious?  (Read 411 times)

Username

• Who are you?
    • Non self taught
How to better see whats going on in my unconscious?
« on: February 18, 2021, 01:21:20 AM »
I cant always see all of it!

Its quite hard to just be aware of it.  You see some or alot of it but then there's more you dont see and that gets you when you cant see it.

So I presume the solution is see it all better? Any tips in order ot be able to do that?
« Last Edit: February 18, 2021, 01:23:32 AM by Username »

Siddharth

• unlearning, relearning and letting go
Re: How to better see whats going on in my unconscious?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2021, 04:23:10 PM »
you seem to want to become more aware. awareness is but one aspect of the process of meditation. in order to progress on the path, ultimately you have to walk on the path.
one of the aspects of the path is right view. right view is not just concerned with awareness, but also equanimity, and compassion arising out of equanimity and awareness. these seem to develop hand in hand each aiding other's development.
Thus "becoming more aware of the subconscious" as you write, is a natural outcome of overall progress on the path.
I read another of your post and sense an ambition inside you to slash through whatever is needed in order to "achieve" a certain higher state through meditation... see that such desire comes out of right view - to get liberated from all the suffering that is entrenched in our existence, and not out of some egoistic desire to become superior being...

to sum up : it seems to me that you will benefit by practicing equanimity and compassion through right view, along with awareness that is a product of meditation practice.

Hope you find peace within.
with Metta,
Siddharth
And what is good, Phædrus,
And what is not good...
Need we ask anyone to tell us these things?

Username

• Who are you?
    • Non self taught
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2021, 11:15:20 PM »
I would like a simple answer to this if possible, just simple tips, on how to better see the sometimes illusive unconscious goings ons. Thankyou

Middleway

• Just be a witness.
    • Vipassana as taught by Mr. Goenka - Switched to Shamatha
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2021, 12:05:08 AM »
To see what is going in unconscious, you have to become conscious. Conscious in the present moment, from moment to moment. To become conscious like that, you should stop thinking.

Once there is no discursive thought process running, you become conscious. Then you can watch the unconscious.
Take everything I say with a grain of salt.

Siddharth

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2021, 12:07:23 AM »
I would like a simple answer to this if possible, just simple tips, on how to better see the sometimes illusive unconscious goings ons. Thankyou
I would like to become enlightened right now. but that is not how it works.
Peacefully inquire into the reason of your restlessness to get an answer, and you might become more aware of your subconscious - a simpler answer for you  ;)
And what is not good...

Username

• Who are you?
    • Non self taught
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2021, 05:06:51 AM »
I would like to become enlightened right now. but that is not how it works.
Peacefully inquire into the reason of your restlessness to get an answer, and you might become more aware of your subconscious - a simpler answer for you  ;)

Lol for example , have a beer, relax, deep breathes, a sedative, put on meditation music , look at a present detailed picture 1st , (im not suggesting these just answering)  you know its very simple to give tips, I hope I havnt lost favour with the best guys in this forum their answers were really really good
« Last Edit: February 20, 2021, 05:11:05 AM by Username »

Siddharth

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2021, 11:13:32 AM »

Lol for example , have a beer, relax, deep breathes, a sedative, put on meditation music , look at a present detailed picture 1st , (im not suggesting these just answering)  you know its very simple to give tips

These tips that you mention or things like that would more often than not take you away from reality, and cloud your awareness. Contemplate rather, on why do you want tips, rather than a more detailed pathway, why is speed such an important aspect for you? why do you even want to become aware of your subconscious? why are you on this forum, or more importantly, why do you meditate..?

answering these questions within 200 words and in less than 5 minutes would be a good place to start. - here goes a tip for you..

as far as losing favour - you will find that everyone  here is devoting their time, only out of goodwill and compassion, to help reduce suffering in general. So please do not feel intimidated. this is a safe space where people are trying to help as best as they can. At the same time, put anyone on a pedestal at your own risk of getting disappointed later.

what kind of meditation practice are you currently engaged in? how much time if any do you spend on the couch? please let us know this so we can  have a better communication.
And what is not good...

stillpointdancer

• stillpointdancer
  • Retired teacher, deepening understanding of Dharma
    • Insight meditation
    • Exploring the results of 30 years of meditating
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2021, 01:51:05 PM »
Although you can't see the unconscious you can work on changing it. The idea is not to see what is happening in terms of thoughts, but to let them go after a brief glance at them. In terms of the unconscious goings on you don't need to let them go because you can't see them. What you do is work on them in your practice, such as mindfulness and metta practice.
“You do not need to leave your room. Remain sitting at your table and listen. Do not even listen, simply wait, be quiet, still and solitary. The world will freely offer itself to you to be unmasked, it has no choice, it will roll in ecstasy at your feet.” Franz Kafka

raushan

• from India
    • S. N. Goenka switched to Samatha Forest Tradition
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2021, 01:10:55 AM »
Yes, it's circular. The more you see the more you let go. The more you let go the more you see.

Alex

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2021, 02:30:26 PM »
Its quite hard to just be aware of it.

Those are interesting observations. We don’t see everything. And wanting to see doesn’t mean that we automatically see more. Maybe on the contrary, maybe frustration about not seeing prevents you from seeing clearly? Something to investigate (I'll come back to that below)…

In any case, appreciate this progress, because you’re now aware of something you weren’t aware of before!

I also invite you to embrace this ‘not-knowing,’ it’s not a problem to be fixed. Good things come from not-knowing! Understanding for example grows out of confusion/not-knowing.

So I presume the solution is see it all better?

The simple answer is no ;)
The practice is, as Middleway suggested, to become aware in each and every moment of what is actually present. You don't go looking for something to become aware of. Give awareness to what is actually there.

Seeing what is actually present is a do-it-yourself thing. We can only give pointers. And as Siddarth suggested, there are other qualities to be developed in order to see better (not necessarily more).

I’m trying to think about an image that can help you understand better why simple tips won’t help you…
What we do in meditation is creating conditions for awareness and other factors of awakening to develop. Much like when we create good conditions for a plant to grow (light, water, nutrients,…). The growing itself is beyond our control. The organism ‘reorganizes’ itself in its own way, on its own time.

We can only create conditions, that's as far as the 'doing' goes.

Its quite hard to just be aware of it.  You see some or alot of it but then there's more you dont see and that gets you when you cant see it.

So, there is something to be understood/seen, and conditions to be developed, not something simple or practicle to be 'done'.
I do want to give you a more practical pointer. There is something that gets you, right? Sounds like frustration? I wonder, how aware are you of this frustration when it’s present? It seems like this frustration is making you chase solutions/tips? Again, how aware are you of this process?
Siddarth also hinted at this.

Does it seem interesting or important to become more aware of this frustration? To see it through a broader lense then you're seeing it now?

If not, that’s normal. There’s usually aversion towards unpleasant experiences linke 'being frustrated'. Frustration is not something we want, so we try to correct it, and go and look for solutions. We've then missed our chance to develop awareness!

But if it does seem interesting to become more aware of what's actually present, then here are some practical tips:
When you notice this frustration… Pauze for a minute… Relax. Breathe. It’s okay. This is a common human experience. Better not use a sedative by the way ;) And then gently bring your attention towards your experience... how does the body feel? What mental activity can you notice? Investigate. What can you discover? Do this genty, without judging, patiently, without being attached to a specific outcome (again, this is why we also need to develop these qualities of metta, non-judging, patience, etc).
Feel free to share what you discover.

Kindly
Alex
« Last Edit: February 21, 2021, 02:33:59 PM by Alex »

Username

• Who are you?
    • Non self taught
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2021, 07:32:05 AM »
Its quite hard to just be aware of it.

Those are interesting observations. We don’t see everything. And wanting to see doesn’t mean that we automatically see more. Maybe on the contrary, maybe frustration about not seeing prevents you from seeing clearly? Something to investigate (I'll come back to that below)…

In any case, appreciate this progress, because you’re now aware of something you weren’t aware of before!

I also invite you to embrace this ‘not-knowing,’ it’s not a problem to be fixed. Good things come from not-knowing! Understanding for example grows out of confusion/not-knowing.

So I presume the solution is see it all better?

The simple answer is no ;)
The practice is, as Middleway suggested, to become aware in each and every moment of what is actually present. You don't go looking for something to become aware of. Give awareness to what is actually there.

Seeing what is actually present is a do-it-yourself thing. We can only give pointers. And as Siddarth suggested, there are other qualities to be developed in order to see better (not necessarily more).

I’m trying to think about an image that can help you understand better why simple tips won’t help you…
What we do in meditation is creating conditions for awareness and other factors of awakening to develop. Much like when we create good conditions for a plant to grow (light, water, nutrients,…). The growing itself is beyond our control. The organism ‘reorganizes’ itself in its own way, on its own time.

We can only create conditions, that's as far as the 'doing' goes.

So, there is something to be understood/seen, and conditions to be developed, not something simple or practicle to be 'done'.
I do want to give you a more practical pointer. There is something that gets you, right? Sounds like frustration? I wonder, how aware are you of this frustration when it’s present? It seems like this frustration is making you chase solutions/tips? Again, how aware are you of this process?
Siddarth also hinted at this.

Does it seem interesting or important to become more aware of this frustration? To see it through a broader lense then you're seeing it now?

If not, that’s normal. There’s usually aversion towards unpleasant experiences linke 'being frustrated'. Frustration is not something we want, so we try to correct it, and go and look for solutions. We've then missed our chance to develop awareness!

But if it does seem interesting to become more aware of what's actually present, then here are some practical tips:
When you notice this frustration… Pauze for a minute… Relax. Breathe. It’s okay. This is a common human experience. Better not use a sedative by the way ;) And then gently bring your attention towards your experience... how does the body feel? What mental activity can you notice? Investigate. What can you discover? Do this genty, without judging, patiently, without being attached to a specific outcome (again, this is why we also need to develop these qualities of metta, non-judging, patience, etc).
Feel free to share what you discover.

Kindly
Alex

Thats is SUPERB Alex thankyou so much!! You helped me with things I didnt even realise I needed help with, you are so impressive!! Thanks so much for your time generosity and expert knowledge!!

Username

• Who are you?
    • Non self taught
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2021, 07:33:53 AM »
Yes, it's circular. The more you see the more you let go. The more you let go the more you see.

Thanks so much brother !! You are highly adept!!

Username

• Who are you?
    • Non self taught
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2021, 07:35:18 AM »
Although you can't see the unconscious you can work on changing it. The idea is not to see what is happening in terms of thoughts, but to let them go after a brief glance at them. In terms of the unconscious goings on you don't need to let them go because you can't see them. What you do is work on them in your practice, such as mindfulness and metta practice.

Thanks as always for your generosity brother , you are so generous!!

Username

• Who are you?
    • Non self taught
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2021, 07:35:50 AM »
To see what is going in unconscious, you have to become conscious. Conscious in the present moment, from moment to moment. To become conscious like that, you should stop thinking.

Once there is no discursive thought process running, you become conscious. Then you can watch the unconscious.

Brilliant thanks for your help brother!!

Username

• Who are you?
    • Non self taught
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2021, 07:39:15 AM »
If any of you guys need a favour dont hesitate to ask me , I really appreciate such help, it means alot to me , not many nice people like you guys in the world

Alex

« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2021, 11:32:38 AM »
You're welcome, username  ;)
Helping other people (like yourself) liberate themselves from ignorance, greed and aversion is reward enough.
Feel free to practice dana (generosity) near you.

Kind regards
Alex

Username

• Who are you?
    • Non self taught
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2021, 02:38:29 AM »
You're welcome, username  ;)
Helping other people (like yourself) liberate themselves from ignorance, greed and aversion is reward enough.
Feel free to practice dana (generosity) near you.

Kind regards
Alex

Steady on there im not liberate :p

xxxxxxxx

:)))

dharma bum

• Certified Zen Master (second degree black belt)
    • vipassana
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2021, 06:50:38 PM »
Steady on there im not liberate :p

haha
Mostly ignorant