Author Topic: It's so harmful to be delusional  (Read 396 times)

raushan

• from India
    • S. N. Goenka switched to Samatha Forest Tradition
It's so harmful to be delusional
« on: January 31, 2021, 01:48:13 AM »
Remaining ignorant is costing us fortunes we can't even imagine how. If our life is reactive our every decision is influenced by someone else. We will be constantly chasing from one thing to another never realizing what we should be truly doing. We are each born great by default. There is greatness in every one of us but as we get older we become victims of society and loses our uniqueness. It's so painful to realize it.

I don't know each day what it is costing me when I am ignorant of the truth.

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
Re: It's so harmful to be delusional
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2021, 03:26:16 PM »
This is a quite profound realisation. It can become a great motivation or a great hindrance, depending on whether you respond to it as a window into potential wisdom, or react in habituated ways of conditioning.
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

raushan

• from India
    • S. N. Goenka switched to Samatha Forest Tradition
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2021, 05:32:29 PM »
Thanks, Matthew, I can see slowly the conditioning of the mind. It's difficult and subtle. But Will try my hardest not to act according to conditioning.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2021, 06:00:40 PM by raushan »

Dhamma

• May we all fulfill our deepest wish for happiness
    • Zen/Tibetan/Theravada
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2021, 02:51:35 AM »
Remaining ignorant is costing us fortunes we can't even imagine how. If our life is reactive our every decision is influenced by someone else. We will be constantly chasing from one thing to another never realizing what we should be truly doing. We are each born great by default. There is greatness in every one of us but as we get older we become victims of society and loses our uniqueness. It's so painful to realize it.

I don't know each day what it is costing me when I am ignorant of the truth.

^ Truth

Peace and enlightenment.
You are already Buddha

May we see clearly the emptiness of all phenomena

Dharmic Tui

• Something
    • Some Theravada, some secular
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2021, 07:23:46 AM »
Often I don't use my time wisely but I try not to beat myself up.

Recently I have been living a day as if that was all my life would ever be. One opportunity for a life to come and pass. And it's wonderful, most days. Beyond wonderful, beyond value. I feel like I have not done anywhere near enough to earn what I have, but obviously it was enough to get by.

stillpointdancer

• stillpointdancer
  • Retired teacher, deepening understanding of Dharma
    • Insight meditation
    • Exploring the results of 30 years of meditating
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2021, 10:43:20 AM »
There is no day ignorant of the truth when you know you are ignorant of the truth
“You do not need to leave your room. Remain sitting at your table and listen. Do not even listen, simply wait, be quiet, still and solitary. The world will freely offer itself to you to be unmasked, it has no choice, it will roll in ecstasy at your feet.” Franz Kafka

Dharmic Tui

• Something
    • Some Theravada, some secular
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2021, 04:46:34 AM »
I mean, without trying to get to philosophical, you can know you are ignorant, but that doesn't mean you know truth.

stillpointdancer

• stillpointdancer
  • Retired teacher, deepening understanding of Dharma
    • Insight meditation
    • Exploring the results of 30 years of meditating
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2021, 10:58:30 AM »
I mean, without trying to get to philosophical, you can know you are ignorant, but that doesn't mean you know truth.

It's a big step along the wisdom trail when you know you are ignorant and you don't know what truth is any more. You sometimes have to reset to move forwards.
“You do not need to leave your room. Remain sitting at your table and listen. Do not even listen, simply wait, be quiet, still and solitary. The world will freely offer itself to you to be unmasked, it has no choice, it will roll in ecstasy at your feet.” Franz Kafka

Dhamma

• May we all fulfill our deepest wish for happiness
    • Zen/Tibetan/Theravada
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2021, 05:03:58 PM »

Sometimes on here, I've given the impression that I know something, but I really do not. I am only trying to help myself and others. At the end of the day, however, I am super ignorant at my core, and glad to admit it.

The only thing I am know is that I don't know. :)

Peace and enlightenment.
You are already Buddha

May we see clearly the emptiness of all phenomena

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2021, 06:35:04 PM »

Very true. It is also true that knowing what you don't know is a step forward.
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~