Author Topic: electrifying sensation?  (Read 456 times)

JavierAndrew

• Who are you?
    • theravada buddhism
electrifying sensation?
« on: January 18, 2021, 04:25:27 PM »
Hello I have been practicing vipassana since 20 years ago, and I think I understand properly the technique and I am aware that the way to evaluate if I advance on the path of meditation is by my degree of equanimity and not by the type of sensation I experience, and that I should not stay for more than 2 minutes in the same area and instead keep on moving to a different area, but it is true that my question is related to a specific type of sensation that is causing me trouble.
2 years ago I began to feel a vibrating sensation behind the right shoulder blade (it moves in that area) from being a gross vibration sensation to being a vibration like electricity, since then this sensation has been increasingly vibrating with much more energy to the point that this sensation continues even after leaving the meditation sesion, in the daily life, even in the last days I can't sleep because this feeling persists during the night.
Because it is such a strong and electrifying type of sensation, during meditation my whole body becomes electrified and when I pass through the spine, the whole of it is also becomes electrified.
A curious thing that happens to me outside the periods of meditation when I still have the sensation in that area (I understand this confirms we are talking about electricity), is that if I put my hand on the shoulder blade, the electrifying sensation ceases immediately and begins a new one just below where i put my hand.
Here is my question:
┬┐Is this type of electrifying sensation something normal that is part of the purification process and although I continue to notice it during the day all this is normal, or on the contrary, perhaps I have been paying too much attention to it and I have been giving it more importance and I have been intensifying it by my wrong attitude towards it, and I should be careful or change my attitude in some way? Really my problem now is that during the night this sensation does not stop and I cannot control to stop feeling it, it is out of my control and it does not let me sleep and what is even worse, I am afraid that this situation will avoid me to continue meditating. I would be very gratefully if somebody could help me. Metta for all

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
Re: electrifying sensation?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2021, 05:58:43 AM »
Totally normal. Stop following the technique religiously and follow the sense of energy, always staying anchored in calm and concentration through mindfulness with breathing.
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

JavierAndrew

• Who are you?
    • theravada buddhism
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2021, 03:47:02 PM »
Thank you very much for your advice Matthew!, Could you explain me a little bit more about" Stop following the technique religiously and follow the sense of energy"? Thank you!!

raushan

• from India
    • S. N. Goenka switched to Samatha Forest Tradition
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2021, 08:48:31 PM »
What I could understand from Matthew's answer that you must not stay for more than 2 minutes in the same area these type of things. This is following the technique religiously. I didn't practice Goenka meditation for long but I guess your understanding shouldn't be limited to the sensations it should have a wider field. Like your thoughts, emotions, energy you are talking about.

I think sometimes when we get too much into the technique we forget the original goal of why we are using the technique in the first place. This is my view.

Matthew may have something else to say.

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2021, 03:14:48 PM »
Thank you very much for your advice Matthew!, Could you explain me a little bit more about" Stop following the technique religiously and follow the sense of energy"? Thank you!!

Rather than scanning, explore this sensation. What is it telling you? Don't focus too hard, gentle exploratory attention based in calm, based in breath, let it be and pay gentle attention to explore what it is. Focus too hard, you can solidify it .. follow it gently and it will change ..
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

JavierAndrew

• Who are you?
    • theravada buddhism
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2021, 09:53:55 AM »
THANK YOU VERY MUCH Raushan and Matthew for your help!!, I take good note of your indications.  For a few days, I am noticing in my meditation that everything is going better, I think that a big problem in my case was the FEAR that this electrifying feeling was something physically dangerous for my health. Once I have worked during meditation leaving fear aside, everything is going much better.