Author Topic: Do others find it harder to meditate at certain times of the day?  (Read 629 times)

Diogenes

• Who are you?
    • Mindfulness
Do others find it harder to meditate at certain times of the day?

I’m still relatively new to meditating and finding it much harder in the mornings. More precisely, I’m practicing mindfulness meditation and finding that I am swamped by intrusive thoughts when I try to meditate in the morning (much more so than at midday, the afternoon and evening, anyway).

Does anyone else experience anything similar and have any advice on how to handle it? Should I, for instance, try to persevere with morning meditation? Or just focus my attention on other times of the day for the time being? Or, to put it another way: does the fact that I find it difficult in the morning mean that this is the time when I most need to meditate to prepare myself for the day? Or, would I just be making it unnecessarily difficult for myself?

Any guidance on this would be greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2021, 08:09:13 PM by Diogenes »

Thanisaro85

• When thoughts, sensations, feelings arise,know it
    • Reverend father Jaran, Pramote. Theravada
    • Still breathing.
Re: Do others find it harder to meditate at certain times of the day?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2021, 03:26:03 PM »
Do others find it harder to meditate at certain times of the day?

I’m still relatively new to meditating and finding it much harder in the mornings. More precisely, I’m practicing mindfulness meditation and finding that I am swamped by intrusive thoughts when I try to meditate in the morning (much more so than at midday, the afternoon and evening, anyway).

Does anyone else experience anything similar and have any advice on how to handle it? Should I, for instance, try to persevere with morning meditation? Or just focus my attention on other times of the day for the time being? Or, to put it another way: does the fact that I find it difficult in the morning mean that this is the time when I most need to meditate to prepare myself for the day? Or, would I just be making it unnecessarily difficult for myself?

Any guidance on this would be greatly appreciated.

If you are new to meditation, perhap you would like to meditate at any moment when u have less thoughts. It brings you to calmness easily where heartbeat slowdown, breath became shallow and you can see your mind clearly.   reaching this stage frequently allow you to build your foundation and know how to cope in the many thoughts moments. Its like getting familiar with holding a knife to cut onion, start slow, not unsettled, once you are familiar, u can cut fast as u already know the techniques.

Depend on individual, some can overcome this hurdles pretty quick.

A Mind Unshaken, when touches by worldy matter, sorrowless, secure and dustless, this is the ultimate great blessing~ Mangala Sutta

dharma bum

• Certified Zen Master (second degree black belt)
    • vipassana
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2021, 04:10:48 AM »
Mornings are hard to meditate for me too. The brain isn't completely functional and there are more of anxieties and fears clouding the mind than any other time of the day. I think the reason is biological - something to do with the reptilian brain. I find it more beneficial to go for a walk in the mornings than to sit at home. My theory based on nothing at all is that my brain needs some extra oxygen in the morning.

There used to be a meditation group at a workplace. They started at 4 in the afternoon and I invariably fell asleep and woke up completely refreshed. I really needed the 4pm nap.
Mostly ignorant

stillpointdancer

• stillpointdancer
  • Retired teacher, deepening understanding of Dharma
    • Insight meditation
    • Exploring the results of 30 years of meditating
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2021, 11:21:31 AM »
It really depends on your meditation practice. For me the earlier the better, as I am awake and refreshed after a night's sleep. I prefer meditating when I can stay alert during the meditation, but as a teacher I could only do that of a weekend and during holidays. Over the summer break I could get into a nice routine sitting, often with a morning cup of coffee, for an hour or so.
“You do not need to leave your room. Remain sitting at your table and listen. Do not even listen, simply wait, be quiet, still and solitary. The world will freely offer itself to you to be unmasked, it has no choice, it will roll in ecstasy at your feet.” Franz Kafka

Diogenes

• Who are you?
    • Mindfulness
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2021, 01:54:03 PM »
Thanks for the responses. I think that - for the time being - I'll focus on the afternoons for my meditation and try meditating in the morning once I have a stronger shamantha foundation to my practice.