Author Topic: Bad sensations in the chest  (Read 197 times)

Vipassana_it

• Who are you?
    • vipassana
Bad sensations in the chest
« on: December 19, 2020, 09:47:04 PM »
I have always had, as far as i can remember, a chronic chest oppression sensation for at least 5 years. It was not a gross sensation, and i just recently realized to have this sensation that accompained me for years.
Recently i meditated and i was feeling some suffering in the body, as always, BUT this time i noticed at a certain point that oppression no longer existed! And, stopped meditation, i was still able to feel this freedom sensation.
It is strange, I haven't felt this sensation for many years, and it feels Great. I felt free to think, say and act whatever i think it's good for others and for me.
I sometimes related this bad sensation as an obstacle during hugs, for example, something that made me somehow repulsive to have important touch contacts.
It have passed months since i started struggling with this chest sensation. It looked like my life will be doomed forever by suffering, expecially that chest suffering. That pain, that tension, is always there, anytime i'm mindful, and has always been there.
If i think about my life, i feel that the sensations i'm feeling in the body sometimes obliged myself to act and talk in forced ways ( assertiveness, for example, or shyness ) by getting more intense. I think these sensations are somehow related to relational and affective problems.
Maybe a very bad and ancient sankhara is going to be eradicated soon if i keep meditating and ( eventually ) meditate only on these very chest sensations for a while?

dharma bum

• Certified Zen Master (second degree black belt)
    • vipassana
Re: Bad sensations in the chest
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2020, 06:47:16 PM »
Sorry if this is not a question you expected - have you had a doctor examine you for your chest discomfort?
Mostly ignorant

Vipassana_it

• Who are you?
    • vipassana
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2020, 07:21:27 PM »
Yes some time ago.
Does my post looks strange in any way?
« Last Edit: December 20, 2020, 07:23:29 PM by Vipassana_it »

mobius

• vipassana
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2020, 02:37:23 AM »
Could you clarify or be a little more specific with what you mean by "oppression" or the sensations in your chest? from a tactile or physiological perspective; if possible?

-----

Since meditating I have noticed strange sensations in my chest; some times minor sometimes alarming; enough for me to visit a doctor in case I was experiencing AFIB or something like that; but they said I was fine. I haven't had any real bad episodes lately but occasionally they do still come. Never figured out what it is. It feels like a lightness or uplifting feeling (but not exactly in a good way, but not painful either). Once it sort of felt like my heart beating too fast or rushing or something. I'm guessing this is nothing like what you're describing.
"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Vipassana_it

• Who are you?
    • vipassana
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2020, 11:03:25 AM »
Well, there can be  many  unharmful symptoms in chest which hurts but are not alarming.
The sensation is a fatigue to breath, which brings short breaths. There is a tight sensation which unables me to breath free; there is a chronic compression in the diaframma, as i can feel it in every time of my day if i focus there. The tightness sensation feels like i'm in case and i cannot express myself due to anxiety, and it doesn't make me able me to feel many sensations inside the chest.

stillpointdancer

• stillpointdancer
  • Retired teacher, deepening understanding of Dharma
    • Insight meditation
    • Exploring the results of 30 years of meditating
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2020, 11:46:08 AM »
When I first started meditating I used to get a feeling like that in my chest. Turns out I was panicking when concentrating on the breath and when the conscious breathing was about to become unconscious breathing, the sort we do without thinking. I became aware of the transition in some way and started to panic.
“You do not need to leave your room. Remain sitting at your table and listen. Do not even listen, simply wait, be quiet, still and solitary. The world will freely offer itself to you to be unmasked, it has no choice, it will roll in ecstasy at your feet.” Franz Kafka

Thanisaro85

• When thoughts, sensations, feelings arise,know it
    • Reverend father Jaran, Pramote. Theravada
    • Still breathing.
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2020, 03:43:54 PM »
How long do you normally sit per session? Do you think it is more like a physical illness like some people having lower back pain type of things, and due to a non movement of the body, the pain arised?
A Mind Unshaken, when touches by worldy matter, sorrowless, secure and dustless, this is the ultimate great blessing~ Mangala Sutta