Author Topic: Energy blocks/knots during shamatha meditation  (Read 168 times)

Calm Mind

• Shamatha
Energy blocks/knots during shamatha meditation
« on: December 18, 2020, 05:10:20 PM »
Hi all,

I've been doing anapanasati and recently I've been distracted by tensions in the chest and throat. Not sure what I'm supposed to do here. Is it advised to focus on the tension and try to release it or stay focused on the breath?

I've read conflicting info on how to work with energy blocks. Some say to focus on it, others say not to... any pointers?

Thanks!
Luke :)

Goofaholix

• Write something about yourself here
    • Theravada / Insight Meditation
Re: Energy blocks/knots during shamatha meditation
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2020, 04:15:18 AM »
Firstly you should use this as an opportunity to teach the mind to not be distracted.  You can maintain the importance of your primary object the breath while also being aware of other objects on the periphery without being drawn to them or frustrated by them, it takes time and practice.

If your attention keeps getting drawn to these objects though it might be worth making one of them your primary object for a while and see what happens.  I wouldn't recommend doing this with the expectation that attention will release the tension as expectation causes a lot pf problems, just relax with it and appreciate it as an opportunity to learn.

Nicky

• Pali
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2020, 05:40:17 AM »
I've been doing anapanasati and recently I've been distracted by tensions in the chest and throat. Not sure what I'm supposed to do here. Is it advised to focus on the tension and try to release it or stay focused on the breath?

The above appears to make little different because both the tension and the breathing are in the same sphere of awareness.

I've read conflicting info on how to work with energy blocks. Some say to focus on it, others say not to... any pointers?

The above sound irrelevant. If you practise anapanasati, you still cannot avoid awareness of the energy blocks.

As for the energy blocks, you should consider & give up their source, such as smoking, yoga practise, etc.

Regards  :)

stillpointdancer

• stillpointdancer
  • Retired teacher, deepening understanding of Dharma
    • Insight meditation
    • Exploring the results of 30 years of meditating
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2020, 10:33:24 AM »
Hi all,

Thanks!
Luke :)

Energy comes out in its own time. You sit down one day and there she blows, so to speak. As to tension I find it best to spend ten or fifteen minutes relaxing each part of the body before mindfulness of breathing.
“You do not need to leave your room. Remain sitting at your table and listen. Do not even listen, simply wait, be quiet, still and solitary. The world will freely offer itself to you to be unmasked, it has no choice, it will roll in ecstasy at your feet.” Franz Kafka