Author Topic: What Type of meditation to you practice?  (Read 244 times)

muse99

• Who are you?
    • meditation
What Type of meditation to you practice?
« on: December 14, 2020, 08:16:50 PM »
I am new, Hello!

What type of meditation do you practice? How does it help you? What teachers do you like?

I am just starting out, so I don't really know much about it. I have seen some videos with Yongey Mingyur Rinpoche and he seems a nice gentle soul. I am hoping that it helps me with some trauma that I am dealing with (a lot of arguments that I get sucked into at home) and I just want to feel more content with life in general.

DogManStar

• Who are you?
    • Vipassana
Re: What Type of meditation to you practice?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2020, 12:19:53 PM »
I am glad you brought this up.

I listen to a podcast on Spotify called I can't believe it's not Buddha.  They have been talking about the Wim Hoff technique.  It was invented by a man called Wimbledon Hasselhoff,  who can hold his breath for two hours. It involves rapid breathing,   holding the breath for 5 or 6 minutes and then having a cold shower.  Has anyone here tried this?  It's supposedly a great aid to meditation.

DogManStar

• Who are you?
    • Vipassana
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2020, 01:37:10 PM »
Actually I just looked into it and the two hour thing is his record for full ice body contact not holding his breath.

And his name is n't Wimbledon Hasselhoff, its just Wim Hof.  He is Dutch.

raushan

• from India
    • S. N. Goenka switched to Samatha Forest Tradition
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2020, 02:13:21 PM »
I am new, Hello!

What type of meditation do you practice? How does it help you? What teachers do you like?

I am just starting out, so I don't really know much about it. I have seen some videos with Yongey Mingyur Rinpoche and he seems a nice gentle soul. I am hoping that it helps me with some trauma that I am dealing with (a lot of arguments that I get sucked into at home) and I just want to feel more content with life in general.

https://www.vipassanaforum.net/forum/index.php?page=2

Also, check the last four responses from this thread.

https://www.vipassanaforum.net/forum/index.php?topic=835.msg37245;topicseen#new

Diogenes

• Who are you?
    • Mindfulness
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2021, 07:14:49 PM »
I can't comment on Wim Hof's meditation method itself (as I haven't tried it - though I do know many people who have), but - as an experienced winter swimmer/ice miler - I can tell you that his claims about training the body to tolerate extreme cold via his method is pure snake oil. Don't get me wrong, meditation can't hurt anyone training their body for extreme cold, but it's no better than simply training by swimming in cold water. I wouldn't usually shoot someone down like this but he's making a lot of money from a lot of people through selling what is - by all accounts - snake oil.