Author Topic: What are the different types of feelings you can get from meditation?  (Read 570 times)

Username

• Who are you?
    • Non self taught
Ive felt happiness, serenity, but also a deep pleasurable peaceful feeling, Ive felt many other things ive never felt before also, Im wondering what are the main feelings that can happen when you meditate and meditate well?

Goofaholix

• Write something about yourself here
    • Theravada / Insight Meditation
Re: What are the different types of feelings you can get from meditation?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2020, 03:59:59 AM »
Ive felt happiness, serenity, but also a deep pleasurable peaceful feeling, Ive felt many other things ive never felt before also, Im wondering what are the main feelings that can happen when you meditate and meditate well?

You can get pleasant feeling tone, unpleasant feeling tone, and neutral feeling tone.  If you are practising vipassana you don't need to you don't need to be interested in feeling any more than to be able to notice which of these you are experiencing at any given time.

Middleway

• Just be a witness.
    • Vipassana as taught by Mr. Goenka - Switched to Shamatha
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2020, 08:02:38 AM »

Is this some kind of a clever research project you are conducting for your school?  Research projects are not allowed as per forum rules you signed up to. Thanks!
Take everything I say with a grain of salt.

Username

• Who are you?
    • Non self taught
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2020, 12:29:48 PM »

Is this some kind of a clever research project you are conducting for your school?  Research projects are not allowed as per forum rules you signed up to. Thanks!

You cant troll in the mindfulness section do u like a challenge or something?

Middleway

• Just be a witness.
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2020, 03:14:17 PM »
Trolling was not my intention. Sorry if I made you feel that way. Please accept my apologies. Please can you let us know why you want to know our feelings when we meditate well. How does that help you with your practice. Do you see that it might actually harm your practice?

raushan

• from India
    • S. N. Goenka switched to Samatha Forest Tradition
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2020, 03:59:07 PM »
Book "Mindfulness, Bliss, and Beyond" by Ajahn Brahm. He has described many different stages of meditation in this book. Beautiful breath, Nimitta, Jhana there are many stages. You can read those in the book and then relate it to your own journey.

I guess because of your inaccurate English your questions are being misinterpreted.

Username

• Who are you?
    • Non self taught
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2020, 10:24:02 PM »
Book "Mindfulness, Bliss, and Beyond" by Ajahn Brahm. He has described many different stages of meditation in this book. Beautiful breath, Nimitta, Jhana there are many stages. You can read those in the book and then relate it to your own journey.

I guess because of your inaccurate English your questions are being misinterpreted.

I dont want to read a whole book for a month to find out one question lol

raushan

• from India
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2020, 10:34:15 PM »
I think it's relevant to have a whole book for this topic that's why it exists. Otherwise do what you wish.

stillpointdancer

• stillpointdancer
  • Retired teacher, deepening understanding of Dharma
    • Insight meditation
    • Exploring the results of 30 years of meditating
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2020, 11:30:51 AM »
How about fear and deep despair? When you meditate all kinds of feelings arise, depending on the individual. There is no list in the reality of meditation, but there are loads that you can google from people who write about it. Buddhism is full of lists, none of which are 'the' list you may have been looking for. Make sure you look at the bad as well as the good.
“You do not need to leave your room. Remain sitting at your table and listen. Do not even listen, simply wait, be quiet, still and solitary. The world will freely offer itself to you to be unmasked, it has no choice, it will roll in ecstasy at your feet.” Franz Kafka

Siddharth

• unlearning, relearning and letting go
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2020, 01:02:03 PM »

I dont want to read a whole book for a month to find out one question lol

You should contemplate about your statement, username. One question can be deep enough to spend lifetime(s) on, let alone reading a book. From what I could gather, you seem to have baught in the "meditation market" on the internet, and looking for quick fix/answers. Unfortunately, Meditation and the path in general is exactly not that.

Regards,
Siddharth
And what is good, Phædrus,
And what is not good...
Need we ask anyone to tell us these things?

raushan

• from India
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2020, 12:02:48 AM »

One question can be deep enough to spend lifetime(s) on, let alone reading a book. . Unfortunately, Meditation and the path in general is exactly not that.

Hi Siddharth,

Well said. I often recommend this blog on this forum. Not everyone may agree with it. But I find truth in his posts.

I like what he says. Here the term legend may sound egoistic. But if you read his other posts you will find he is mainly talking about finding the truth. And often the truth is so counterintuitive so against what society believes that we can't even fathom it. I am beginning to feel everything is a lie. Almost everything virtually everything that anyone speaks or tells is untruth.

Username this is unrelated to your question. You may skip it.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2020, 08:43:58 PM by raushan »

Siddharth

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2020, 05:00:38 PM »
I often recommend this blog on this forum. Not everyone may agree with it. But I find truth in his posts.

he is mainly talking about finding the truth. And often the truth is so counterintuitive so against what society believes that we can't even fathom it. I am beginning to feel everything is a lie. Almost everything virtually everything that anyone speaks or tells is untruth.

It was a good read Raushan. thanks for sharing.
I guess the way we are conditioned and evolved to act is through imitation. We tend to find heroes to follow in almost all domains. This mode of action can be detrimental in areas like spirituality and the path, because people good at "selling" are basically good at lying. This might have magnified with globalisation and mass media, but conning people by selling them spirituality is something that even missionaries did to tribals in india in medieval times etc.

I feel learning to think for ourselves, trust our observations etc is something which needs massive amount of aggression/arrogance in a child today, to survive the conditioning of modern schooling etc. We are mostly taught by average people that we are not good enough. There have been many instances even on the forum where people tend to put one member on a pedestial and then get disappointed later. The same with all those who worship these "mystics" or "babas" mushrooming all over the internet. A lot of them are great scholars and are helpful in treading the path, the issue arises when people want to get spoon-feeded, get a quick spiritual fix... So yeah there is a lot of conditioning and lies as you pointed out all across. Some of it is actually helpful to live day-to-day life(in my opinion).

But mostly it is going to be about developing the ability to trust ourself, even at the risk of perishing. it is a game we only get to play if we go all-in, and it frightens me at times. like jumping from the edge of a cliff hoping to learn to fly before you hit the ground. For now I am trying to deal with one un-truth within me at a time.

Regards,
Siddharth
« Last Edit: December 04, 2020, 08:45:59 PM by raushan »
And what is not good...

Siddharth

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2020, 05:06:37 PM »
I often recommend this blog on this forum. Not everyone may agree with it. But I find truth in his posts.

he is mainly talking about finding the truth. And often the truth is so counterintuitive so against what society believes that we can't even fathom it. I am beginning to feel everything is a lie. Almost everything virtually everything that anyone speaks or tells is untruth.

It was a good read Raushan. thanks for sharing.
I guess the way we are conditioned and evolved to act is through imitation. We tend to find heroes to follow in almost all domains. This mode of action can be detrimental in areas like spirituality and the path, because people good at "selling" are basically good at lying. This might have magnified with globalisation and mass media, but conning people by selling them spirituality is something that even missionaries did to tribals in india in medieval times etc.

I feel learning to think for ourselves, trust our observations etc is something which needs massive amount of aggression/arrogance in a child today, to survive the conditioning of modern schooling etc. We are mostly taught by average people that we are not good enough. There have been many instances even on the forum where people tend to put one member on a pedestial and then get disappointed later. The same with all those who worship these "mystics" or "babas" mushrooming all over the internet. A lot of them are great scholars and are helpful in treading the path, the issue arises when people want to get spoon-feeded, get a quick spiritual fix... So yeah there is a lot of conditioning and lies as you pointed out all across. Some of it is actually helpful to live day-to-day life(in my opinion).

But mostly it is going to be about developing the ability to trust ourself, even at the risk of perishing. it is a game we only get to play if we go all-in, and it frightens me at times. like jumping from the edge of a cliff hoping to learn to fly before you hit the ground. For now I am trying to deal with one un-truth within me at a time.

Regards,
Siddharth
All this being said, there are definitely people, and even apps that can initiate people. The important thing is to be able to discern the right people, again based on one's own judgement ultimately, and also to not put them on too high a pedestial. The path is a lonely road I guess.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2020, 08:46:11 PM by raushan »
And what is not good...

raushan

• from India
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2020, 08:45:27 PM »
Agreed most of what you said. Yes. we are conditioned and evolved to act through imitation. And those who don't conform to that often have to deal with becoming misfits in society.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2020, 09:27:23 PM by raushan »

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2020, 09:35:33 PM »
Agreed most of what you said. Yes. we are conditioned and evolved to act through imitation. And those who don't conform to that often have to deal with becoming misfits in society.

Hence why Buddha often used metaphors such as floating upstream when describing the path: you have chosen not to fit in.

This is a basic truth of the Dhamma, not to live within the confines of the socially accepted/acceptable untruths, but to see and act beyond them. It is one of the reasons development of both equanimity and compassion are such important tools on your travels.

Equanimity to stay calm when swimming against the tide, and compassion for those who choose to be swept along with the current.
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

Alex

« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2020, 10:33:45 AM »

I'm curious about this blog, and not finding a link/reference.
Can you please share?

raushan

• from India
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2020, 06:04:51 PM »

I'm curious about this blog, and not finding a link/reference.
Can you please share?

Hi Alex,

This is the link I had shared.

Removing the link as it doesn't fit with the forum policy. Sent PM

I had removed it because I wasn't sure that it fits with this forum. I personally find those blog articles really insightful.

Regards
Raushan
« Last Edit: December 08, 2020, 08:06:45 PM by raushan »

Middleway

• Just be a witness.
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2020, 07:32:33 PM »
I had removed it because I wasn't sure that it fits with this forum. I personally find those blog articles really insightful.

Regards
Raushan

I agree, this blog does not fit in with the forum. Anybody who wants to sell a 9 min audio podcast with a title “there is nothing” for 500 USD, should not be referred in this forum. Please delete and PM Alex the link. Thanks!