Author Topic: Right livelihood as a coal miner  (Read 136 times)

Artisticwatching

• What a mystery we are
    • Vipassana
Right livelihood as a coal miner
« on: September 03, 2020, 12:07:42 PM »
I’ve been pondering a change in my work lately as I think being a coal miner is not in line with the Buddha’s teachings. The only benefit I can think of is I’m helping to supply electricity to developing countries, but at the same time I’m adding to the decline of the planet as a whole.

Not to mention the unwholesome mind states that arise from working night shift.

Can you all illuminate some other reasons for me to act on leaving the occupation.

Thank you

Live where the headlights shine

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Staff
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
Re: Right livelihood as a coal miner
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2020, 01:13:52 PM »
I think you know the decision you will make, and I don't think you need help making it. Hopefully there is an occupational switch you can easily transition to that will allow you to provide for yourself and anyone who depends upon you and that will not leave you feeling conflicted morally.
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

Artisticwatching

• What a mystery we are
    • Vipassana
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2020, 01:56:27 PM »
Thank you Matthew.

I’ve become debt free recently so it’s a perfect time to move on, in not skilled in much else but I’m sure I’ll find something.

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Staff
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2020, 04:07:57 PM »
Artisticwatching,

It does sound like an opportune time to make a change to something which works for you - both to sustain yourself, and that fits with your moral/ethical sense.

The economy is going through (and will go through) big changes at the moment, due to structural and technological factors, as well as the challenges raised by the pandemic. This means there may be openings for you in something that also interests you and contributes towards positive change in the world - especially if you are willing to forgo short term earnings to learn new skills or a new trade.

My general advice to people about work is to try and follow what you love, what gives a sense of meaning to your life, what feels wholesome to you. Work this way is something that is not a chore but actually nourishes your growth in life instead.

I wish you success - if you mindfully contemplate your way forward I am sure you will find it. You make your own luck in this life.

Kindly,

Matthew
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

Dhamma

• May we all fulfill our deepest wish for happiness
    • I take from all Buddhist schools + some yogic schools
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2020, 05:35:53 PM »
I’ve been pondering a change in my work lately as I think being a coal miner is not in line with the Buddha’s teachings. The only benefit I can think of is I’m helping to supply electricity to developing countries, but at the same time I’m adding to the decline of the planet as a whole.

Can you all illuminate some other reasons for me to act on leaving the occupation.

Thank you

You've touched me profoundly, and I'm not sure why. I think it's because you sincerely wish for greater enlightenment, and I really sense it. That is just beautiful.

You seem to understand the Buddha's teachings well on this matter.

We must seek activities that cause least harm to ourselves and others.

May you fulfill your deepest wish for happiness.

Much love in the Dhamma to you. :)
You are already Buddha

Artisticwatching

• What a mystery we are
    • Vipassana
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2020, 07:36:18 AM »

Thank you

You've touched me profoundly, and I'm not sure why. I think it's because you sincerely wish for greater enlightenment, and I really sense it. That is just beautiful.

You seem to understand the Buddha's teachings well on this matter.

We must seek activities that cause least harm to ourselves and others.

May you fulfill your deepest wish for happiness.

Much love in the Dhamma to you. :)

May you be happy 😊