Author Topic: Experiences during meditation, what is this?  (Read 354 times)

Whoami

• Who are you?
    • Buddhist meditation
Experiences during meditation, what is this?
« on: September 03, 2020, 09:30:46 AM »
Hi everyone, im a new member so hello everybody  :)

I have two questions regarding two experiences ive had during meditation.
They are hard to describe but i Will do my best.
The First experience happens from time to time for me; everything starts to feel much more distant/a long way from me. My hands/limbs/sound/my body in generel feels like its much further away than normal. Sometimes it feels like i cant tell if im sitting down or standing up, the body is kind of on the verge of dissapearing sort of.

The second experience happend when i continued to meditate for a long time after the First experience occured. This one is Really hard to explain without sounding like a new age hippie. It felt like my consciousness was not in my head anymore, it felt like ”i” was everything in the universe, it felt like my counciousness was the empty space all around us. This is the best way i can describe it.

Any thoughts on this? What is this? Thanks and have a great day  :)

Thanisaro85

• When thoughts, sensations, feelings arise,know it
    • Reverend father Jaran, Pramote. Theravada
    • Still breathing.
Re: Experiences during meditation, what is this?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2020, 04:37:08 PM »

Is it not like you are a molecule, no body, in a big dark space? No sound, no feel, and the conscious is a little weak but still manageable? When you come out of meditation, how many hours had passed?

A Mind Unshaken, when touches by worldy matter, sorrowless, secure and dustless, this is the ultimate great blessing~ Mangala Sutta

Whoami

• Who are you?
    • Buddhist meditation
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2020, 05:26:50 PM »

Is it not like you are a molecule, no body, in a big dark space? No sound, no feel, and the conscious is a little weak but still manageable? When you come out of meditation, how many hours had passed?

No sorry not like that. Im very conscious when both of these things happen
First experience that had happen a few times:
-its like everything (limbs, sounds etc) feels much more further away than usual.
And i cant feel my body as good as i usually can.

Second experience which has only happend once:
-happend when i continued to meditate even though it felt like mentioned above.
It felt like my consciousness was not inside of my head anymore, it felt like i was the space existing everywhere. Felt like my consciousness was extremely Big in dimension.

I did not meditate for very long when this happend, maybe 40 minutes.

Dhamma

• May we all fulfill our deepest wish for happiness
    • I take from all Buddhist schools + some yogic schools
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2020, 05:48:12 PM »
Dear OP,

Ajahn Brahm tells us that many (not all) of our bizarre and scary experiences in meditation come from our inability to just sit and be in peace.  We fight it at every turn.

Peace and enlightenment. :)
You are already Buddha

Whoami

• Who are you?
    • Buddhist meditation
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2020, 06:34:30 PM »
Dear OP,

Ajahn Brahm tells us that many (not all) of our bizarre and scary experiences in meditation come from our inability to just sit and be in peace.  We fight it at every turn.

That makes sense. Like som sort of self defence mechanism?

Dhamma

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2020, 08:08:07 PM »
Dear OP,

We fight the peace.  We believe that there is something fundamentally deep in our bones that feeling peace at all or for too long is wrong and immoral.

I've had sensations and feelings where I thought I was dying during meditation. I don't so much anymore, but it's normal. Calming the mind and body is a real feat for most people.

Stick with it. Don't analyze. Just learn to be with all phenomena. It takes time, but will happen. And learn to be at peace with the peace that will come. Enjoy!

Much love in the Dhamma. :)
You are already Buddha

Whoami

• Who are you?
    • Buddhist meditation
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2020, 08:56:51 PM »
Dear OP,

We fight the peace.  We believe that there is something fundamentally deep in our bones that feeling peace at all or for too long is wrong and immoral.

I've had sensations and feelings where I thought I was dying during meditation. I don't so much anymore, but it's normal. Calming the mind and body is a real feat for most people.

Stick with it. Don't analyze. Just learn to be with all phenomena. It takes time, but will happen. And learn to be at peace with the peace that will come. Enjoy!

Much love in the Dhamma. :)

Interesting. I am interested in the peace ofcourse but that is not my main interest when it comes to meditation. I am most interested in how it changeds the way one sees oneself, others, reality, social constructs etc. is that something that have changed for you because of your meditation practice?

stillpointdancer

• stillpointdancer
  • Retired teacher, deepening understanding of Dharma
    • Insight meditation
    • Exploring the results of 30 years of meditating
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2020, 12:16:10 PM »

Interesting. I am interested in the peace ofcourse but that is not my main interest when it comes to meditation. I am most interested in how it changeds the way one sees oneself, others, reality, social constructs etc. is that something that have changed for you because of your meditation practice?

I got into meditation as an experiment to see if i could change my state of consciousness and 'see' the world in a different way, not using chemicals. Not really expecting anything to happen, I was rather surprised when it did. Many years later I came to understand that we change continually, although most of this is change confirming what we already think the world is like. Meditation can change us in new ways, actually rewiring the brain as we do so. The kinds of changes which happen depend on our circumstances. In my case I became a Buddhist, mostly because what I saw in Buddhist writings explained what happened to me in my experiments. Most of the time the changes are incremental, so it is usually other people who comment on them rather than seeing them ourselves.
“You do not need to leave your room. Remain sitting at your table and listen. Do not even listen, simply wait, be quiet, still and solitary. The world will freely offer itself to you to be unmasked, it has no choice, it will roll in ecstasy at your feet.” Franz Kafka

Dhamma

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2020, 04:58:38 PM »

Hi there again!

What has changed for me?

I understand the nature of reality much better than I did. Even if I still fall often into delusion, I am more "aware".  I do have a few more periods of peace, but I try not to get reach for them, or expect them.  I also have more of an ability to stop the *reactive* mind.

Much love in the Dhamma,

Dhamma
You are already Buddha

Whoami

• Who are you?
    • Buddhist meditation
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2020, 05:39:46 PM »

Hi there again!

What has changed for me?

I understand the nature of reality much better than I did. Even if I still fall often into delusion, I am more "aware".  I do have a few more periods of peace, but I try not to get reach for them, or expect them.  I also have more of an ability to stop the *reactive* mind.

Much love in the Dhamma,

Dhamma

Interesting. Im glad you’ve had some great progress. The only progress that had happend to me so far is quite often i percieve everything as a game, the whole human experience... and my logic mind is gone with the wind, understanding Koans more and more. But i am a novice so it has not changed very much in a deep way, except the logic-thing  :) im glad i have this forum so can collect some valueble knowledge.

Dhamma

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2020, 01:40:38 AM »

Hi there again!

What has changed for me?

Much love in the Dhamma,

Dhamma

Interesting. Im glad you’ve had some great progress. The only progress that had happend to me so far is quite often i percieve everything as a game, the whole human experience... and my logic mind is gone with the wind, understanding Koans more and more. But i am a novice so it has not changed very much in a deep way, except the logic-thing  :) im glad i have this forum so can collect some valueble knowledge.

Thank you for your kindness.

Yes, life is sort of like a game/dream, or a silly adventure, if you will.  But remember, Buddhists are not nihilists - never! There is conventional reality, and there is ultimate reality. We find a balance between the two in order to become more enlightened.

Koans are great! That is what they use in Zen Buddhism, particularly the Rinzai school. They help us see more clearly, in addition to our meditation practice.  Each school of Buddhism has their gems for sure (Theravada, Tibetan schools, etc.)

Much love in the Dhamma
You are already Buddha

Whoami

• Who are you?
    • Buddhist meditation
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2020, 10:20:14 AM »

Hi there again!

What has changed for me?

Much love in the Dhamma,

Dhamma

Thank you for your kindness.

Yes, life is sort of like a game/dream, or a silly adventure, if you will.  But remember, Buddhists are not nihilists - never! There is conventional reality, and there is ultimate reality. We find a balance between the two in order to become more enlightened.

Koans are great! That is what they use in Zen Buddhism, particularly the Rinzai school. They help us see more clearly, in addition to our meditation practice.  Each school of Buddhism has their gems for sure (Theravada, Tibetan schools, etc.)

Much love in the Dhamma

That balance is important, thanks for reminding me. I kind of get all absorbed sometimes by the whole game-thing.

Yes i love koans, it happend to me suddenly after a meditation session that my mind let go of all ”conventional logic”. I have spoke to a few people about this but they think i have gone a little insane  :D

Funny that you mention that all schools have their gems, because im joining a tibetan buddhist community soon and im looking forward to it. New in the game you know  ;)

Dhamma

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2020, 07:19:25 PM »
That balance is important, thanks for reminding me. I kind of get all absorbed sometimes by the whole game-thing.

Yes i love koans, it happend to me suddenly after a meditation session that my mind let go of all ”conventional logic”. I have spoke to a few people about this but they think i have gone a little insane  :D

Funny that you mention that all schools have their gems, because im joining a tibetan buddhist community soon and im looking forward to it. New in the game you know  ;)

No, you've not gone insane: you are just wakening up to ultimate reality. Koans can help us do this.

All schools do have their gems. I wish you the best of luck in the Tibetan Buddhist community you plan on joining. You should be looking forward to it -- it can and will be life-changing. Tibetan Buddhist is beautiful for its explanations on emptiness, its visualization meditations, a little physical yoga (tsa lung, kum nye, etc.) thrown in, which is based on Indian yoga, etc.  I'm not sure what lineage of Tibetan Buddhism you're joining, but I know they do Tibetan yoga in most Tibetan schools (5 schools there are, I believe).

No matter what, all authentic schools of Buddhism have the same beliefs. While there are a little differences in beliefs here and there, in the end, the schools are just "dressed up" differently. But I think it's a good thing.

Best wishes and much love,

Dhamma

« Last Edit: September 08, 2020, 07:21:15 PM by Dhamma »
You are already Buddha

Whoami

• Who are you?
    • Buddhist meditation
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2020, 09:47:45 AM »

No, you've not gone insane: you are just wakening up to ultimate reality. Koans can help us do this.

All schools do have their gems. I wish you the best of luck in the Tibetan Buddhist community you plan on joining. You should be looking forward to it -- it can and will be life-changing. Tibetan Buddhist is beautiful for its explanations on emptiness, its visualization meditations, a little physical yoga (tsa lung, kum nye, etc.) thrown in, which is based on Indian yoga, etc.  I'm not sure what lineage of Tibetan Buddhism you're joining, but I know they do Tibetan yoga in most Tibetan schools (5 schools there are, I believe).

No matter what, all authentic schools of Buddhism have the same beliefs. While there are a little differences in beliefs here and there, in the end, the schools are just "dressed up" differently. But I think it's a good thing.

Best wishes and much love,

Dhamma

I honestly feel a little bit insane but at the same time i feel free.  ???

Thanks, i dont know much about buddhism except the meditation bit and the understanding of reincarnation.

If its not too much to ask, what do you think about the other strains of buddhism? What are their gems? Whats unique about them...  I would very much like to know :)
« Last Edit: September 09, 2020, 09:50:18 AM by Whoami »

Whoami

• Who are you?
    • Buddhist meditation
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2020, 01:34:12 PM »

I got into meditation as an experiment to see if i could change my state of consciousness and 'see' the world in a different way, not using chemicals. Not really expecting anything to happen, I was rather surprised when it did. Many years later I came to understand that we change continually, although most of this is change confirming what we already think the world is like. Meditation can change us in new ways, actually rewiring the brain as we do so. The kinds of changes which happen depend on our circumstances. In my case I became a Buddhist, mostly because what I saw in Buddhist writings explained what happened to me in my experiments. Most of the time the changes are incremental, so it is usually other people who comment on them rather than seeing them ourselves.

Sorry i missed your post. To have no expectations is something i have to learn... to be open minded. Im glad you’ve had such positive effects :) what a luxary to have so many years spent on meditation. What a gift :)

mobius

• vipassana
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2020, 12:37:34 AM »
Other people here are better at giving emotional and spiritual advice so I'll add some scientific two cents I've learned over the past few years;

I'm responding to your first post mostly btw;

your first experience sounds similar to mine and may be this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alice_in_Wonderland_syndrome

exactly what it is; is unknown but imo it is likely a product of sensory deprivation, which meditation is in a sense. Our mind begins to lose the ability or gets confused on the input it's getting from our senses or lack there of.

As to the second experience; there is something new we have discovered about the human brain called the default mode network. This 'network' gets decreased or turned off when a person successfully meditates and practices for a number of years.
This part of the brain is what is responsible for maintaining your ego or your sense of self and what differentiates you from other things. Without this our method of interacting/interpreting the world is very different. IMO; it is necessarily impossible, in a sense, to describe in this way because writing and talking to each other involves the ego. (but maybe it doesn't' have to??) This is an altered state of consciousness. It's like if life is a car ride then everything we do is going to different places in the car. But meditating takes you outside of the car.
That's probably the lamest analogy ever lol.

But it's important to note how intense and difficult these changes can be. I read about this before I started meditating and thought "ooh this sounds cool I wanna try it!" Haha, I had no idea what I was getting into!!  :D

When you said you perceive everything as a game; this reminds me of Allan Watts. He talks about this philosophy a lot.
"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Whoami

• Who are you?
    • Buddhist meditation
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2020, 09:33:01 AM »
Other people here are better at giving emotional and spiritual advice so I'll add some scientific two cents I've learned over the past few years;

exactly what it is; is unknown but imo it is likely a product of sensory deprivation, which meditation is in a sense. Our mind begins to lose the ability or gets confused on the input it's getting from our senses or lack there of.

As to the second experience; there is something new we have discovered about the human brain called the default mode network. This 'network' gets decreased or turned off when a person successfully meditates and practices for a number of years.
This part of the brain is what is responsible for maintaining your ego or your sense of self and what differentiates you from other things. Without this our method of interacting/interpreting the world is very different. IMO; it is necessarily impossible, in a sense, to describe in this way because writing and talking to each other involves the ego. (but maybe it doesn't' have to??) This is an altered state of consciousness. It's like if life is a car ride then everything we do is going to different places in the car. But meditating takes you outside of the car.

But it's important to note how intense and difficult these changes can be. I read about this before I started meditating and thought "ooh this sounds cool I wanna try it!" Haha, I had no idea what I was getting into!!  :D

When you said you perceive everything as a game; this reminds me of Allan Watts. He talks about this philosophy a lot.

Oh lord thanks! Its probably Alice in wonderland syndrome! Sounds just like it. Haha!
Very cool :D

Default network you say, thats very cool too. I have tried my best to get that experience again but it had not happend :D i became very shocked after the experience, just sat and had a blank stare for like 10 minutes.. couldnt believe it.
That analogy made me laugh :D

Haha yeah meditation was not really what i had expected too, its funny. :)
Yeah i know alan watts talk about it alot, like a game of egos :D

Thanks for your reply, learned some new stuff. :)

Dhamma

« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2020, 05:13:25 PM »

I actually think you are just as good in giving advice as anyone else; in fact, your advice above is perfecto. I agree with 110% with what you said.

These egos of ours -  they cause so much suffering.

In Zen Buddhism, they also see life as a game; in other words, we all took life way too seriously, when we should have been laughing our way joyfully through it.

It's interesting that talk about how we perceive life through our senses, and how that impacts our minds. In the yogi world in India, they have something called "Pratyahara", where you purposefully block your senses such as sight and hearing in order to have a clearer mind about ultimate reality. Now, I know that in Buddhism, we are not to run from reality, but "sit with it." However, I believe you can incorporate Pratyahara into your Buddhist routine without  no problems.  Just don't use Pratyahara as escapism, but rather for developing a clearer mind.

Peace and enlightenment.  :)
You are already Buddha