Author Topic: new meditator  (Read 183 times)

NICKY999

• Who are you?
    • mindfulness
new meditator
« on: August 12, 2020, 05:08:34 AM »
hey people im new to meditation and i have some questions so id really appreciate everyones input. I have been meditating 20 minutes everyday for a little over 2 months now (focusing on my breath at the nostrils and bringing my attention back to the breath when i lose concentration} and im not noticing any changes in myself or in my practice. i started meditation mostly because i wanted to bring peace and joy that i have lost back into my life and to calm my anxiety panic and depression but things kind of seem to have gotten worse. Am i being impatient or should i try a different style of meditation at this point? also i dont know if its worth mentioning but i have stopped taking antidepressants that i was on for 10 years around the same time i started meditating which was only a couple months ago so i dont know if that could have any effect on my practice in any good or bad way. im wondering if the benefits of meditation may take longer because my brain is still adjusting to living without the medication or something. i dont know, but if anyone has any experience with anti depressants (paroxetine) and meditation i would love to hear your feedback.   Also do people mostly stick to one style of meditation or do they bounce around to different syles? i dont know if i should be sticking to one practice so that i can master it or if i should experiment with others.

i guess thats all for now. i appreciate any and all feedback, thanks ;)

dharma bum

• Certified Zen Master (second degree black belt)
    • vipassana
Re: new meditator
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2020, 04:14:13 PM »
Welcome to the forum Nicky999.

You could try instructions in the home-page of the forum authored by Matthew

https://www.vipassanaforum.net/forum/index.php?page=2

I think perhaps for a beginner meditating at home, the Calm Abiding meditation might be more beneficial.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2020, 04:28:53 PM by dharma bum »
Mostly ignorant