Author Topic: Struggling with samadhi  (Read 488 times)

Dhruv

• Sila, Samadhi, Panna
    • Vipassana
Struggling with samadhi
« on: July 16, 2020, 02:05:32 PM »
So, I struggle a lot with samadhi(concentration) during my sittings, like my mind wanders in 5-10 seconds. I do not sit twice daily as suggested by Goenka ji, so that's the first point I should focus on to increase my samadhi. The other point I should take into account is practicing sila(morality). But are there any other points/tips from the fellow meditators to increase concentration?
Thanks.

Alex

Re: Struggling with samadhi
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2020, 03:00:50 PM »
Hi Dhruv

Bringing back a wandering mind IS the practice of concentration, so it seems you're doing great  ;)
I guess you know the basics in terms of avoiding or moderating sensual pleasures, TV and computer time, managing other sources of stress, etc.

Here some other tips
  • Know your meditation object, which aspects of it you give attention to, don’t switch
  • Have focused friends, avoid distracted friends
  • Keep your house or room clean
  • Find balance between faith / trust and  effort / energy
  • Sparkle a dull or discouraged mind, calm an enthousiastic mind
  • Reflect on the peace of concentration and other qualities of the concentrated mind instead of concentration as an (ego-)achievement
  • Don't judge the wandering mind, every time this happens, there is a little friction or arousal that stands in the way of the development of concentration
  • Develop patience, concentration will develop naturally when conditions are right

Kindly
Alex

Goofaholix

• Write something about yourself here
    • Theravada / Insight Meditation
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2020, 08:31:27 PM »
If you are telling us that your mind wanders every 5 to 10 seconds then you are noticing it wander every 5 to 10 seconds and that is a whole lot better than not noticing it and half an hour later not knowing what really happened in your mediation.

Just keep noticing that, and bringing the mind back over and over again.  It takes time, patience, and consistancy.

Dhamma

• May we all fulfill our deepest wish for happiness
    • Zen/Tibetan/Theravada
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2020, 02:30:27 AM »
If you are telling us that your mind wanders every 5 to 10 seconds then you are noticing it wander every 5 to 10 seconds and that is a whole lot better than not noticing it and half an hour later not knowing what really happened in your mediation.

Just keep noticing that, and bringing the mind back over and over again.  It takes time, patience, and consistancy.

YES!

That you *know* that your mind is wandering is what it's all about.  There is no goal; we just need to be completely aware and sit with all phenomena as it arises.

Peace and enlightenment
You are already Buddha

May we see clearly the emptiness of all phenomena

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2020, 08:58:09 PM »
Samhadi is a fruit of practice. It grows as you feed it. As others have said, you're going about it the right way. Keep practicing. Samhadi will come to you when you are ready.
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~