Author Topic: Strange feeling when meditating  (Read 311 times)

Will1138

• Who are you?
    • Meditation, yoga
Strange feeling when meditating
« on: July 12, 2020, 11:12:40 PM »
Hi, I new here. Looking for insight on strange experiences I had during meditation. It has been a few years since regularly meditating but in the last year, I’ve been practicing yoga regularly. Years ago when meditating, I would have an intense feeling go up my spine which had so much intensity, my body would convulse. The feeling would not go past the bottom of my skull. This would usually take 30 minutes of meditation to get to, and afterward, I would see strange visions. I was told this feeling in my spine was kundalini. Back then, after two reiki sessions, I was told my third eye was too open by two different practitioners but one said my crown was open and the other said my crown was not. Today I meditated for the first time in a long time and just a few minutes into it, that energy feeling up and down my spine continued, but something was different this time.

A few minutes into this meditation, the energy shooting up and down my spine was so intense that I was already shaking. Normally this feeling feels intense but good, this time it was almost painful. The energy continued upward, past my spine and into my head where I felt a small pop towards the front top of my head. Immediately, my arms and hands went completely numb and I was thrown into a vision of a place I had been in a meditation years back. I was inside a tunnel of red, purple, and pink clouds, which floated in outer space. At the end of the tunnel, there was a presence above that I could not see. All around were chatters of faint voices. Then, I felt another movement inside my head more in the forehead area, and was instantly standing in Antarctica. There was nothing but flat snow in all directions, then a shadowy figure walking towards me in the distance. As the figure walked closer, there was no light cast upon it, it was a silhouette even in sunlight. As it walked up to me, face to face, the darkness of it’s silhouette became negative space which filled my POV. Snow was seen only around the edges of my POV like a white vignette and the silhouetted figure was now a full framed oval of negative space /darkness. Then it became outer space. This was ten minutes into meditation, and for whatever reason, I snapped out of it and opened my eyes.

I experienced the normal feelings I’d have after a 45 minute meditation after only 10 minutes, light, out of my body, etc. But as the rest of the day went on, something was different, I felt extreme bliss, energy moved throughout my body rapidly, especially my legs and feet, and although I felt great, I was extremely fatigued. Throughout the rest of the evening, I felt movements similar to the feeling of your sinuses opening up, but higher up, in the center of my forehead. That feeling of bliss is gone today. Can anybody give me any insight as to what was happening with me?

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Staff
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
Re: Strange feeling when meditating
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2020, 03:58:07 PM »
Hey Will,

I've had some similar experiences personally - particularly this energy people label as kundalini. The first time was in Munich in 94 when a friend leant me Sogyal Rinpoche's "Tibetan Book of Living and Dying".

After reading a few chapters I came across a meditation called 'Tonglen' or 'sending and receiving'. In this practice one visualises breathing in all the darkness in the world and sending out loving kindness to replace it. Wow! Was I in for a shock. After 20 minutes I had this energy running up and down my spine - it sure was intense. Not painful exactly, yet so intense and joyous as to almost be unbearable. So I stopped. Let it dissolve, and it did. I wanted to see if the experience was reproducible or a one off, so once I was sat fully in peace I started the practice again. Sure enough, this time after just a few minutes, there it was - like I had electrodes attached at the top and base of my spine inducing powerful waves of energy.

I kind of scared myself at this point, what with no training, no reference points, and just a dusty old book as my guide 😁

So I didn't go there again. Not then. Since I have experienced similar strange manifestations of many kinds in practice. My rule of thumb with whatever arises is to let it be, to watch its arising and falling, and most importantly, not to apply too many labels or stories to it. Things are what they are - words and stories hide reality from us more often than they reveal it.

How are you doing now I wonder? Has anything else like this happened? Are you able to practice without clinging to such experiences?

Kindest regards,

Matthew
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

Professor Yaffle

• Who are you?
    • whatever works
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2020, 08:08:30 PM »
This sounds very much like the experience of the Arising and Passing Away (See, Progress of Insight) or Bangha Nana in the other Vipassana tradition. In kundalini yoga it would appear that this is the end point (Im not super well cursed in that practice though).

You've had some classic A&P style kundalini and some extraordinary (but not uncommon) visuals to go with it. The question for you now is "do I wish to continue?". I know that sounds strange but if it is what it appears to be it can often be followed by some far less pleasant experiences.

Mine lasted about 5yrs and was utterly dreadful. I would not wish it on anyone. Having said that, on the other side of the unpleasant stuff (which depending on your age, psychological baggage, unresolved issues etc may not be as bad as mine :) ) lies the good stuff.

Look that stuff up. Get a little info before plunging onward my friend.

stillpointdancer

• stillpointdancer
  • Retired teacher, deepening understanding of Dharma
    • Insight meditation
    • Exploring the results of 30 years of meditating
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2020, 01:01:22 PM »
Hi Will1138. That kind of stuff happens a lot. Some describe it as freeing energy in the body as meditation gets to work, others that you channel energy, or whatever. It goes with the territory of meditating and comes and goes. Sometimes I have to stop meditating if it results in my body physically reacting. I consider it a side effect and a distraction, so I try to ignore it until it goes away, as it eventually does if you don't pay it any attention.

Some go for that kind of feeling, the 'Bliss Bunnies' as we used to call them. I can see why because it's hard to resist being able to call up bliss whenever you want it. But it's like any other kind of drug, even if it is self-induced, and should be treated as such. I always managed to work through such episodes and get back to meditating without such a distraction. Although I can get back to the bliss whenever I want, it's enough to be able to, so I don't.
“You do not need to leave your room. Remain sitting at your table and listen. Do not even listen, simply wait, be quiet, still and solitary. The world will freely offer itself to you to be unmasked, it has no choice, it will roll in ecstasy at your feet.” Franz Kafka

Dhamma

• May we all fulfill our deepest wish for happiness
    • I take from all Buddhist schools + yogic school of Advaita Vedanta
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2020, 05:01:29 PM »
I am going to repeat what Ajahn Brahm has always said: "Peace - not bliss - is the highest happiness."
You are already Buddha

dharma bum

• Certified Zen Master (second degree black belt)
    • vipassana
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2020, 02:13:54 PM »
Some go for that kind of feeling, the 'Bliss Bunnies' as we used to call them. I can see why because it's hard to resist being able to call up bliss whenever you want it. But it's like any other kind of drug, even if it is self-induced, and should be treated as such. I always managed to work through such episodes and get back to meditating without such a distraction. Although I can get back to the bliss whenever I want, it's enough to be able to, so I don't.
Modify message

Does the sense of bliss affect the rest of the day positively or is it only during the sitting?

It seems to me that peace and calm are physiological changes while bliss appears to be a mood change, and so more likely to change, but if the effects last then it might still be a useful thing to have.
Mostly ignorant