Author Topic: Something very wierd occurs when i meditate, anyone relate please?  (Read 170 times)

Emoint

• Who are you?
    • Emotional intelligence
Guys, something very strange and powerful is happening when I meditate, if anyone can relate to this or has equivilant forms of experience please share yours.
I do blame it on taking lsd when i was a teenager, but I seem to be tapping into places that i doubt i'd be able to reach without my 16 yr old curiosity showing my perceptive self the way in.
I meditate and can feel my spine connected with the earth it feels like it goes a long way down and i feel very rooted and at one with things. I must confess i went on another forum because this forum does not include all meditators in the world. When i mentioned my root to the earth through spine connection. Someone on the other forum said 'try going skywards to the other source, and remember when you find it bring some of the energy back with you.' Well.....I've gone to the ceiling of what i would call the universe. I found the source, and brought some energy back with me. I know on this forum people use meditation to find things, confront things, learn things about their own individual path. But has anyone done, or, experienced this different state or use of meditation in this way. I recall monks mention entering the universe, but has anyone here experienced their own universe? I am very happy and secure with what im feeling through meditation, but i hope i'm not the only one. Anyone relate to what i'm mentioning, thanks in anticipation

stillpointdancer

• stillpointdancer
  • Retired teacher, deepening understanding of Dharma
    • Insight meditation
    • Exploring the results of 30 years of meditating
Re: Something very wierd occurs when i meditate, anyone relate please?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2020, 11:39:22 AM »
Hi Emoint. It's something I used to do a lot. You visualise the base of the spine when you are sitting to be open to the energy from the Earth, them visualise the top of your head open to the energy from the universe. For me the spine is open to red light, the head to white light as part of my own visualisation. Eventually the energy becomes very intense and hard to handle, until you understand that it has very little to do with you, and that you have become a conduit rather than a recipient.

Whether there really is any energy there is beside the point, which is that when you meditate stuff happens, and often the best way to deal with it is to bring your own understanding to the situation. Another of mine is to breath in energy and then breath it out as unconditional metta in the form of white light. Again, not measurable in terms of physics, but that's not what it's about when I meditate.
“You do not need to leave your room. Remain sitting at your table and listen. Do not even listen, simply wait, be quiet, still and solitary. The world will freely offer itself to you to be unmasked, it has no choice, it will roll in ecstasy at your feet.” Franz Kafka

Emoint

• Who are you?
    • Emotional intelligence
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2020, 12:04:06 PM »
Wow, thanks, This i can explore. You see, my spine goes straight to centre of earth. But to reach the source i have to let vines reach the clouds, then the vines change to tree roots or bundled rods of wood, till i leave the earth, but i never leave the earth conciously, I'm suddenly in the black, then when i hit the black stuff, my shaft of direction that my eyes follow turns into a swirlinging cloud of upward direction. its like I am always following it, not climbing it. Your reply has put my mind at rest. When I did get to the source, my own climbing shaft of cloud pushed against the ceiling of what i thought was the universe, it was filmy like a skin on oil, then my climbing thing merged with it and funnelled out like the end of a trumpet and it was so silent, i knew it was my own vision cause it was imperfect. I must admit on the way up when i reached cloud height i stayed there. Clouds are just the best!!!! on the way up and on the way down i observed clouds, I've always dreamt of being a bird, but just not that high up. And to draw any energy from the source I had to draw in with my breath, but i did not know where the energy i had was stored then when i got back into my body and came out of meditation, It felt like there were two bags of oxygen stuff attached to my temples and crouching above my eyes, by the time i had written my description, it had absorbed into self. It never scared me but i know how to go back there, as also i know how to burrow into the earth. It was interesting still point dancer that i never saw any lights, like you, the red for earth the white for sky. We are so different, its unbelievable, Thanks once again.

dharma bum

• Certified Zen Master (second degree black belt)
    • vipassana
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2020, 03:39:04 PM »
When you go to sleep and dream, your brain is not completely at rest, but still working, shuffling things around, accessing memory, old desires, maybe new ones. That is what you see or feel in your dreams. When you meditate something similar can happen. Even when you don't meditate your mind is engaging in some fantasies. It's just that there is so much going on in the non-meditative state that we don't always notice them.

The general attitude of many meditators is to not pay any importance to such visions because they don't mean anything.
Mostly ignorant

Emoint

• Who are you?
    • Emotional intelligence
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2020, 05:40:09 PM »
Ok Dharma bum, my problem is the visions grip me so much I'm feeling them as they unfold, it's true I want to head some where, but once it starts it never stops till I reached the ceiling of my universe and drew energy from it. I was observing myself going to this source. Am Isupposed to ignore it and not go with it? Is this what you mean? But if I don't go with it, what am I meditating around? Or what should I be waiting for when I meditate? Sorry for questions-

Middleway

• Staff
  • Just be a witness.
    • Vipassana as taught by Mr. Goenka - Switched to Shamatha
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2020, 05:50:31 PM »
If you read a lot about Madonna and visualize that you are Madonna, then your mind will project a dream onto your consciousness and will make you believe that you are Madonna. Mind plays all kinds of tricks. It projects the entire world which we experience. The purpose of meditation is to break free (of the mind) and know our true nature.

All your descriptions are visualization as projected by mind. They are mere dreams. Buddha’s entire teaching is about awakening from the dream world projected by the mind.
Take everything I say with a grain of salt.

Dhamma

• Who are you?
    • I practice Vipassana meditation + mental noting (mostly Theravadan)
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2020, 06:47:08 PM »
@ Middleway: This is why Tibetan Buddhist do visualizations? It makes perfect sense. I think they are fine. I've never done deity visualization, although I've done a few by Tenzin Wangyal Rinpoche, in which you envision that your mind is the sky, or that you filled with luminous white light. I see that they can be effective.

Visualizations are never done in Zen and Theravadin traditions, as far as I know. That doesn't make these traditions any less true or beautiful, however. All schools of Buddhism have their gems.

Peace and enlightenment.

Middleway

• Staff
  • Just be a witness.
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2020, 07:39:01 PM »
Visualization of a lotus or a Buddha statue etc as on object of meditation is used for developing concentration and mindfulness. Fantasizing that we are reaching to the end of universe to grab energy is not helpful for developing concentration and mindfulness.

dharma bum

• Certified Zen Master (second degree black belt)
    • vipassana
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2020, 10:42:49 PM »
Am Isupposed to ignore it and not go with it? Is this what you mean?

In the Buddhist tradition of meditation, you let go, not go with your thoughts. Please read the following:

https://www.vipassanaforum.net/meditation/Shamatha.pdf

If you follow your visions, after some time, you will get bored with the visions and they will seem less exciting and then you will stop meditating and find something else to stimulate yourself. It is better to understand what meditation is really about.
Mostly ignorant

Dhamma

• Who are you?
    • I practice Vipassana meditation + mental noting (mostly Theravadan)
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2020, 02:15:10 AM »
Perhaps I am quite ignorant about Tibetan visualization meditations.  The few I have done were more about relaxing the body.  I don't really understand the deity meditations.

Yes, real Buddhist meditation, as I have always understood it, is about non-clinging  - whatever comes are way in terms of thought, we flow with it, neither pushing away or grasping after.  We simply "are" with whatever presents itself.  We become neutrally accepting of all phenomena.

Peace and enlightenment

Emoint

• Who are you?
    • Emotional intelligence
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2020, 08:47:29 AM »
What you say guys is true. Middleway I think i was upset when the other forum member on the other forum said go to the source. It never entered my head to go upward, but i thought i'd give it a go and hey presto i did find something, There was no feeling by the way, just this funnelled out cloud vine, in contact with the filmy oil ceiling of what i thought was the universes ceiling. When i reported back what i had experienced, his words seemed to change, the goal posts changed and I was miffed and realised he may have been pretending to know what he was suggesting. It was the pretense and my naivete that threw me. Yes middleway it is imagination, but its also Bhuddas imagination that says awaken from the dream world projected by the mind. I'm not trying to provoke a fight, i am being as true to the perception of someone else telling me how they felt, and because thats how they felt about it, or, interpreted what their own imaginations helped them conclude-as has bhudda.
Dhamma you are a gentle soul.
Dharma bum I can see where your coming from and totally agree with the following visions, that sort of imagination only has a finite amount of fuel before you crash. But at the time i was exhilerated that i could actually achieve reaching the source. I even felt myself bringing back energy from the source. The imagination is v powerful, and more reliable than memory in my observations.
Thankyou all for being patient guys, though I fear on this website I am discovering i relate less and less with this form of meditation than originally envisioned. Something happened this morning while i was doing my version of mindfulness or walking meditation that floored me. This is a true account.
I have been practising sensing my 3d vision but was only touching the surface. I can know walk for ten/15 minutes and everything I see is in 3d, its, hard when the wind blows as my eyes can't keep up with so much movement, but i aim to learn how to do it in gusts.

Anyway, I locked onto a 3 headed thistle this morning, i followed the stems that held the leaves, I followed the main stem trunk into the ground. I was suddenly aware of its root and where they were and how they held the thistle up. And how the earth/mud seemed to be nurturing it. It was too much I had to break the lock, but as i was breaking the lock, the roots of the grass that surrounded the thistle were felt, and for the first time in my life, i followed the root of the grass, that i felt, to the grass above the surface that I could see. This is happening, I am naturally developing this awareness. I'm not strong enough to do it with anything bigger yet, but that is where my nature is telling me to go and practise. I don't think it has anything to do with practising vipassana i'm afraid. And thanks for spending time with my notes on my imagination. I hope I have not wasted too much of your times. Your comments are guiding me but I think not in your meditational directions if that makes sense

Middleway

• Staff
  • Just be a witness.
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2020, 10:23:21 AM »
. Something happened this morning while i was doing my version of mindfulness or walking meditation that floored me. This is a true account.
I have been practising sensing my 3d vision but was only touching the surface. I can know walk for ten/15 minutes and everything I see is in 3d, its, hard when the wind blows as my eyes can't keep up with so much movement, but i aim to learn how to do it in gusts.

Anyway, I locked onto a 3 headed thistle this morning, i followed the stems that held the leaves, I followed the main stem trunk into the ground. I was suddenly aware of its root and where they were and how they held the thistle up. And how the earth/mud seemed to be nurturing it. It was too much I had to break the lock, but as i was breaking the lock, the roots of the grass that surrounded the thistle were felt, and for the first time in my life, i followed the root of the grass, that i felt, to the grass above the surface that I could see.

You are hallucinating. Please go see a doctor. Take care!