Author Topic: Jhana  (Read 504 times)

DogManStar

• Who are you?
    • Vipassana
Jhana
« on: June 10, 2020, 02:39:09 PM »
Hello,

I am just reading Beyond Mindfulness in Plain English.   I would like to start practicing the jhanas most evenings.   I wondered how many people on this forum experience jhana every day.

Thanisaro85

• When thoughts, sensations, feelings arise,know it
    • Reverend father Jaran, Pramote. Theravada
    • Still breathing.
Re: Jhana
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2020, 12:24:20 AM »
Hello,

I am just reading Beyond Mindfulness in Plain English.   I would like to start practicing the jhanas most evenings.   I wondered how many people on this forum experience jhana every day.

If you could Really focus easily for 2 to 5 mins, you could enter into jhana. I did not experience jhana every day though.
A Mind Unshaken, when touches by worldy matter, sorrowless, secure and dustless, this is the ultimate great blessing~ Mangala Sutta

DogManStar

• Who are you?
    • Vipassana
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2020, 02:50:20 PM »
Hmmm, I must say I am disappointed more people are not practising jhana on this forum.

Thanisaro85

• Still breathing.
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2020, 03:13:03 PM »
Hmmm, I must say I am disappointed more people are not practising jhana on this forum.

There are people who experiences jhana here, but most probably dun want to talk about it.( I think) Coz it may get into some debatable discussions. As it is seems that in other platform people are questioning each other. Claiming that what they experiences is this or that level, or not jhana,and mostly end up with no conclusion.  ;D

But to me, experiecing jhana allow me to verify what my first teacher said is true, and that is the force to allow me to carry on to continue meditations, as I did not really benefits from meditations in my earlier years,even with experiencing of jhana.

A Mind Unshaken, when touches by worldy matter, sorrowless, secure and dustless, this is the ultimate great blessing~ Mangala Sutta

stillpointdancer

• stillpointdancer
  • Retired teacher, deepening understanding of Dharma
    • Insight meditation
    • Exploring the results of 30 years of meditating
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2020, 11:37:56 AM »
The problem is one of definition. Jhana can mean meditation itself, so by that definition anyone meditating is doing jhana practice. Another meaning is a way of describing what happens during meditation. Buddhism is full of lists of things, and one is a list of stages of meditation experience, the jhanas. Some then take it that they can't be making progress unless they go through certain stages, "I was in the 5th jhana" sort of thing. The downside is that some Buddhist get uptight if anyone claims to have gone through certain jhanas, as Thanisaro85 mentioned, so people stay quiet about it. Personally I'm too old to care overmuch, so don't mind saying that if jhanas exist then I've been there and got the t-shirt for them all, but if someone wants to argue about it then I haven't been through any.
“You do not need to leave your room. Remain sitting at your table and listen. Do not even listen, simply wait, be quiet, still and solitary. The world will freely offer itself to you to be unmasked, it has no choice, it will roll in ecstasy at your feet.” Franz Kafka

DogManStar

• Who are you?
    • Vipassana
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2020, 03:22:56 PM »
Thanks for your answers.  Can I ask approximately how long were you practicing before you first reached any jhana.  Were you doing hours per day?

Thanisaro85

• Still breathing.
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2020, 04:02:41 PM »
ot the t-shirt for them all, .

I had hurt my wrist these few days and were experiencing immense pain, your reply put a smile on me... :D..sometimes the not intended humor from an elderly is gold.

Thanisaro85

• Still breathing.
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2020, 05:04:01 PM »
Thanks for your answers.  Can I ask approximately how long were you practicing before you first reached any jhana.  Were you doing hours per day?

Like 2 to 3 years after I started meditation? Meditate 1 to 2 times a week and 10 to 20 mins per sessions. To be Frank, I didn't start off meditation to have peace or to seek the truth, I started off for psychic power, like knowing the future . Then I come across these 2 books by Ajarn Mun(biography of forest monk) and Lp Jaran wat amphawan( fruits of karma) and then my path changed a little..... I learnt to observe rising and falling of the stomach (lp jaran method) and the first time was an unexpected entry.

Dhamma

• May we all fulfill our deepest wish for happiness
    • I take from all Buddhist schools + some yogic schools
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2020, 06:06:05 PM »
The problem is one of definition. Jhana can mean meditation itself, so by that definition anyone meditating is doing jhana practice. Another meaning is a way of describing what happens during meditation. Buddhism is full of lists of things, and one is a list of stages of meditation experience, the jhanas. Some then take it that they can't be making progress unless they go through certain stages, "I was in the 5th jhana" sort of thing. The downside is that some Buddhist get uptight if anyone claims to have gone through certain jhanas, as Thanisaro85 mentioned, so people stay quiet about it. Personally I'm too old to care overmuch, so don't mind saying that if jhanas exist then I've been there and got the t-shirt for them all, but if someone wants to argue about it then I haven't been through any.

Boy, didn't you speak truth there?!

Thank you, dear friend. ;)
You are already Buddha