Author Topic: Shadow work help  (Read 319 times)

Corrupted Catnip

• Cosmic being
  • Negotiating with infinity
    • Taoism
    • Healing
Shadow work help
« on: June 05, 2020, 06:19:43 AM »
So I've been doing shadow work and for a long time I've felt like two people in one body. But it's a lot harder to ignore now, sometimes I feel like there's something in me ready to take over and do something crazy like go on a serial killing spree. I'm doing my best to accept this part but not become it. Is this a sign of kundalini approaching?
"Do you want control over chaos or do you want to let go and give in to it? Which is it? Order or chaos? Choose!" - my brain?

stillpointdancer

• stillpointdancer
  • Retired teacher, deepening understanding of Dharma
    • Insight meditation
    • Exploring the results of 30 years of meditating
Re: Shadow work help
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2020, 10:41:38 AM »
Never heard of it before, so I looked it up. Scary stuff and not to be recommended for anyone unless they know what they are doing. There are elements of some Buddhist meditations, but these are best left to being part of a structured practice when safeguards have already been built in. My advice would be to leave off this kind of thing for a year or two and try something else.
“You do not need to leave your room. Remain sitting at your table and listen. Do not even listen, simply wait, be quiet, still and solitary. The world will freely offer itself to you to be unmasked, it has no choice, it will roll in ecstasy at your feet.” Franz Kafka

mobius

• vipassana
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2020, 12:38:58 AM »
I read a little bit about it. To me it sounds like thinking that kind of goes against Buddhist philosophy
Like about "coming to terms with your inner self; or that part of your self that you'd rather hide".

Yes; in some sense I think this is important, but also; since according to Buddhism; in the long run there is no self. And I'm skeptical of the "one self for this person, other self for this job, other self for this group of people" etc. I personally think these things are constantly changing, coming and going and pinning them down gets harder the more you think about it and especially if you meditate.

Anger and other emotions get buried all the time and I've very occasionally had insane thoughts like "killing sprees", fortunately they are getting less now-a-days. Maybe buried anger or other intense emotions lead to these outbursts. Maybe dwell on how acting upon these outbursts of thought will not lead to anything good what-so-ever.  And recall how dwelling on positive thoughts, like loving everyone and yourself; lead to good things. Seeing these things for what they are really helps put things into perspective.
That is; imo; you don't really have a serial killer somehow hidden inside of you; these are just thoughts that arise; and like all thoughts good and bad; they will go away. And the quicker you realize that and let it go; the quicker it will fade.
"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Dhamma

• May we all fulfill our deepest wish for happiness
    • I take from all Buddhist schools + some yogic schools
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2020, 02:21:17 AM »
Many disturbing thoughts in "normal" people are rooted in anxiety and fear. They are all very normal to have; in fact, meditators -- even the most sane of them -- think really bizarre stuff at times. It's all natural and normal; after all, they're just thoughts in a very anxious and fearful mind. When you look at the mind intensely, a lot of really, really crazy things come to the surface. LOL.

All that said, for those with severe psychological issues, meditation is not advised without being under the guidance of a professional Buddhist teacher/psychologist.

Normal people can appear super crazy at times, and still be very normal, or sane of mind (severe anxiety attacks, grief, depression, etc). That said, we have to use sound judgment to know when someone has crossed the line into psychosis, and are no longer sane of mind.

@ OP:  If you are sane of mind, all if fine. Just stay away from what you have been doing. Things will go back to normal. Follow the Buddhist path only. Thoughts are just thoughts - and they come and go.  They are not who we are in the least. I will be thinking of you. I offer you much compassion.

^ We all have some degree of serious mental illness in a non-conventional sense. That's why we are all here: to liberate ourselves from delusion.

« Last Edit: June 07, 2020, 03:16:34 AM by Dhamma »
You are already Buddha