Author Topic: Identification with thought  (Read 160 times)

ma_

• Who are you?
    • Vipassana (Use Sam Harris' "Waking Up" app)
Identification with thought
« on: May 31, 2020, 11:57:59 AM »
Is there anyway to prevent being identified with thoughts as much? Some days I feel I can disidentify quite easily when meditating but some times when I’m feeling quite horrible I find it a lot harder to do.
Thanks

NewPathForward

• Who are you?
    • Beginner in Vipassana / The Path
Re: Identification with thought
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2020, 04:20:40 PM »
Hi friend.  I have only been practicing for four months, and have been maintaining around 90 minutes daily as of recently.  I know of the internal struggle you speak of, when you are aware that you are identifying with thoughts but simply don't know how to let go.  I do it all the time as well, as I am human and am not yet free from suffering.  Every now and then, I get very deep in Anapanasati, to the point where I can actually witness first-hand the difference between the observing mind and the thinking mind.  I see them as two completely seperate entities, and very vividly. 

It does not happen every single time I practice, for I am still very much so identified with my thoughts.  It's a very gradual practice.  Just by becoming aware that you are identified with thought in the moment, you are building awareness, and in time, wisdom which seeps into your actions and practice naturally.  Keep practicing, and perhaps finding more creative ways to practice (Try focusing more / less on body sensations, random things like this). 

We will not be perfect ever, so don't beat yourself up when you feel you're "identified".  This is a very long path.  It sounds like you are doing great  :) :)

Dhamma

• Who are you?
    • I practice Vipassana meditation + mental noting (mostly Theravadan)
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2020, 04:46:11 PM »
Remember that we are on a Path; and on this path, many a hurdle await us. Even focusing too much on goals leads to suffering. We have to learn to be in the here and now.

Sometimes, deep emotional conflicts take years to resolve internally when meditating.  I still experience severe anxiety gripping me after 2 years of meditation. But guess what? It's part of the Path, so I get never leave it; for to do so would only create unbearable suffering. Every time I meditate, it's a drop in the bucket towards liberation. And ultimate reality promises us that all things shall pass, such as my crippling anxiety as nothing is permanent.

May we all find liberation from all suffering, and may we all fulfill our deepest wish: to be forever happy.

stillpointdancer

• stillpointdancer
  • Retired teacher, deepening understanding of Dharma
    • Insight meditation
    • Exploring the results of 30 years of meditating
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2020, 10:35:46 AM »
Is there anyway to prevent being identified with thoughts as much? Some days I feel I can disidentify quite easily when meditating but some times when I’m feeling quite horrible I find it a lot harder to do.
Thanks

I wouldn't worry overmuch. Thoughts come and go. Sometimes they demand to be paid attention to and some days they don't. If something important needs to be thought through, then think it through. If you are really worried use the breath as a focus, and return to it when you realise you have been distracted again.
“You do not need to leave your room. Remain sitting at your table and listen. Do not even listen, simply wait, be quiet, still and solitary. The world will freely offer itself to you to be unmasked, it has no choice, it will roll in ecstasy at your feet.” Franz Kafka