Author Topic: Deeply intense radiant and blissful sensation irregularly occurring during sits  (Read 566 times)

NewPathForward

• Who are you?
    • Beginner in Vipassana / The Path
Hey everyone. 

I had this experience when I first picked up my practice, on my third week.  It occurred during my Anapana practice.  I started with a tense mind, which I then found equanimity toward in the sit.  My shoulders and legs were killing me, but throughout the sit I identified the pains as simple sensation, and saw clearly the separation between mind and pain.  Pain was still there but did not bother me at all past that point.  I found deep relaxation, in body and mind.

Then my eyes seemed to shut closed with a lot of pressure, and this was involuntary.  My eyes were already closed beforehand, but now they were being shut very hard.  I felt some kind of energy (For lack of a better less ambiguous word) "firing" within my body, it felt like something incredible was about to happen, and I became absorbed and attached to it, at which point it died down as I lost awareness of breath. 

A month later, it happened again, but this time my practice had developed a bit to the point where I was able to let it happen without interference a bit more, and I felt waves of bliss fire through my body from head to toe.  It was incredible.  My heart started pounding very quickly and it once again left me as I grasped onto it too much and probably tensed up.  Then it happened again the morning after.  My eyes were closed but it felt like I could see a hint of light, more than the moments before the experience occurred.

I am curious as to whether this is something I can work with or just let be and get on with my practice?  I have let go of expecting it to happen because that only hinders my progress.

gannuman

• I'm a human being. What more is necessary to say?
    • Mostly Theravada, some Hatha Yoga, some Taoism, some Vajrayana, very little Chan
    • Continuos interior remodeling
How awesome!!! That sounds like second Jhana to me. And the light you experienced is called the nimita. I've never had those, but the instructions I've read pointed to what your intuition is already!

The nimita is best that you ignore, it might grow brighter and you should let it be and don't try to manipulate it in any way. You might use the bliss as the meditation object, once it arises, so that you go deeper into that Jhana. But, as you've noticed, if you desire it you'll lose it, so you have to turn your mind towards it, but relenquish clinging.

Ajahn Brahm talks a lot about those experiences (though the instruction I gave aren't from him). He says "the more you let go, the more bliss you get" (not an actual There is a talk from him on youtube named "riding waves of bliss", which I never saw but might be insightful to you heheh!

Hope this helps, even though I can't say much based on my own experience  :P
Lord of gods, there are two kinds of happiness ... Two kinds of sadness ... Two kinds of equinimity: That which you should cultivate and that which you should not cultivate.

stillpointdancer

• stillpointdancer
  • Retired teacher, deepening understanding of Dharma
    • Insight meditation
    • Exploring the results of 30 years of meditating
Hi NewPathForward. It's one of the better by-products of meditation, so much so that it can eventually get pretty distracting. Some only meditate in order to get to that state and stay there. We used to call them 'bliss bunnies', a somewhat derogatory term I'm afraid, but one used as a warning to others to be aware of what might hold you back. I found that such feelings can arise and not leave for a few months at a time so I had to develop ways of ignoring it during meditation. On the plus side I can quickly get back into it if I need to.
“You do not need to leave your room. Remain sitting at your table and listen. Do not even listen, simply wait, be quiet, still and solitary. The world will freely offer itself to you to be unmasked, it has no choice, it will roll in ecstasy at your feet.” Franz Kafka

dharma bum

• Certified Zen Master (second degree black belt)
    • vipassana
Is bliss the same state as peace? Why is it such a bad thing?
Mostly ignorant

NewPathForward

• Who are you?
    • Beginner in Vipassana / The Path

I don't think it's a bad thing at all, I think it's how we approach it that can get weird.  Something I noticed after my first time experiencing this was that for several weeks afterward I was seeking it for the sole purpose of how good it felt, and this hindered the quality of my practice quite a bit.  I began to judge the quality of my sits on how close I felt I was getting to this feeling.  I was attached and grasping, and it led to suffering!  So I think stillpoint / gannuman may be referring more so in how it can be handled badly rather than the actual experience itself being "bad" or not.

Interesting enough, I haven't experienced it in a couple months I believe.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2020, 05:31:07 PM by NewPathForward »

stillpointdancer

• stillpointdancer
    • Insight meditation

Bliss and peace are somewhat opposite, although both are 'good'. Bliss is an all-powerful, all-encompassing emotion that takes all the happy emotions you have ever had, all the wonderful stuff life can offer, and then raises it to the nth degree. Never having taken such drugs, I guess it can equate to all the most incredible 'trips' you could experience all rolled into one. Having gone through it multiple times though, peace gives it a good run for its money, so much so that I personally would take peace every time.

The 'bad' thing about bliss is that it can be a distraction from the purposes of meditation, and any distraction, good or bad, can hold you back from making progress. Which still doesn't mean that  I'm not glad I can get back to it when I need to.
“You do not need to leave your room. Remain sitting at your table and listen. Do not even listen, simply wait, be quiet, still and solitary. The world will freely offer itself to you to be unmasked, it has no choice, it will roll in ecstasy at your feet.” Franz Kafka

Dhamma

• May we all fulfill our deepest wish for happiness
    • I take from all Buddhist schools + some yogic schools
Ajahn Brahm tells us that peace is the highest happiness.

Bliss is fleeting...
You are already Buddha

dharma bum

• Certified Zen Master (second degree black belt)
    • vipassana
I think I've probably not felt bliss then. When I feel 'peace', there is a kind of stillness. Every breath is effortless. It actually took me many years to realize what they mean by stillness of the mind. When the mind moves, it is either through some force of desire or aversion. When it is still, there is neither desire nor aversion.

It doesn't happen to me very often, but it is not that rare either. All the jhana stuff is just beyond my comprehension. First jhana, second jhana - I have no idea what they are. I think I'm going to skip all this and go straight to enlightenment. ;)
Mostly ignorant

Dhamma

• May we all fulfill our deepest wish for happiness
    • I take from all Buddhist schools + some yogic schools
I think I've probably not felt bliss then. When I feel 'peace', there is a kind of stillness. Every breath is effortless. It actually took me many years to realize what they mean by stillness of the mind. When the mind moves, it is either through some force of desire or aversion. When it is still, there is neither desire nor aversion.

It doesn't happen to me very often, but it is not that rare either. All the jhana stuff is just beyond my comprehension. First jhana, second jhana - I have no idea what they are. I think I'm going to skip all this and go straight to enlightenment. ;)

Ha, ha...I agree...

Yes, perfect stillness of the mind is what it's all about, friend. We want to experience "pure consciousness" and transcend the "I".  But, again, we really have no goal, right?

I'm following a more Zen-type path now, doing Shikantaza.

The Jhanas are beautiful and serene states of intensive meditation, but they are not easy to grasp without sound instruction. They're used in the Theravada tradition, as you probably know. And,  like you, I know very little about them.

All schools of Buddhism lead to enlightenment when practiced properly - don't let anyone fool you. But certain schools are more appealing than others for reasons of simplicity, personality, current personal needs, accessibility, etc.

You are already Buddha

running

• shakti
Hey everyone. 

I had this experience when I first picked up my practice, on my third week.  It occurred during my Anapana practice.  I started with a tense mind, which I then found equanimity toward in the sit.  My shoulders and legs were killing me, but throughout the sit I identified the pains as simple sensation, and saw clearly the separation between mind and pain.  Pain was still there but did not bother me at all past that point.  I found deep relaxation, in body and mind.

Then my eyes seemed to shut closed with a lot of pressure, and this was involuntary.  My eyes were already closed beforehand, but now they were being shut very hard.  I felt some kind of energy (For lack of a better less ambiguous word) "firing" within my body, it felt like something incredible was about to happen, and I became absorbed and attached to it, at which point it died down as I lost awareness of breath. 

A month later, it happened again, but this time my practice had developed a bit to the point where I was able to let it happen without interference a bit more, and I felt waves of bliss fire through my body from head to toe.  It was incredible.  My heart started pounding very quickly and it once again left me as I grasped onto it too much and probably tensed up.  Then it happened again the morning after.  My eyes were closed but it felt like I could see a hint of light, more than the moments before the experience occurred.

I am curious as to whether this is something I can work with or just let be and get on with my practice?  I have let go of expecting it to happen because that only hinders my progress.

If im understanding you correct that is from the side i started as well. The feminine aspect. Your starting from the current as in bliss. The subtler energies are activating your brain and nervous system as joy in the body. She is expressing herself in you as joy.

Its been my experience and i think this is how it goes for most.  It begins in moments. to minutes. to periods of time. To that joy without interruptions and  irrespective to what is going on.

Although desire for it can be a block. So maybe wanting it to much may push it away for the time being. Maybe it isn't an obstruction for you. In any case experiences of bliss bring it closer to you and her power clears out the obstructions.

American Trucker

running

• shakti
Hi NewPathForward. It's one of the better by-products of meditation, so much so that it can eventually get pretty distracting. Some only meditate in order to get to that state and stay there. We used to call them 'bliss bunnies', a somewhat derogatory term I'm afraid, but one used as a warning to others to be aware of what might hold you back. I found that such feelings can arise and not leave for a few months at a time so I had to develop ways of ignoring it during meditation. On the plus side I can quickly get back into it if I need to.

over time its not a hindrance in life. It only is during the process as the whole system has to become acclimated to the power of the divine mother. Once acclimated and in it without interruptions imagine what you are capable of when you are your own source. Causeless and endless joy.  Life becomes much easier. Which is good for everyone.  Also everywhere you go it can rub off on others making them feel better and clear through their things by the power of the mother.
American Trucker

running

• shakti
Hey everyone. 

If im understanding you correct that is from the side i started as well. The feminine aspect. Your starting from the current as in bliss. The subtler energies are activating your brain and nervous system as joy in the body. She is expressing herself in you as joy.

Its been my experience and i think this is how it goes for most.  It begins in moments. to minutes. to periods of time. To that joy without interruptions and  irrespective to what is going on.

Although desire for it can be a block. So maybe wanting it to much may push it away for the time being. Maybe it isn't an obstruction for you. In any case experiences of bliss bring it closer to you and her power clears out the obstructions.

after reading i see people sound like they are after silence. so let me just add this. Bliss brings one to silence. As silence brings one to bliss. Some start from the mother. Others from the father. Either way. One brings the other. Bliss brings silence. Silence brings bliss. The two become one in you. Bliss and silence in you.
American Trucker

stillpointdancer

• stillpointdancer
    • Insight meditation
Hi running
I think I meant that bliss becomes the object of meditation for some people and can be a hindrance if it does so. It also depends on the nature of the bliss for the individual. I once went through a stage where, sorry to be rather crude but I can't think of any other apt words, I went through whole body orgasms (but wholesome, not sexual in any sense of the word) for half an hour or so at a time. By the end I was pretty exhausted. This went on for a month or so before I got through to somewhat better meditations. Over the years I learned the signs and developed methods to control the bliss.

running

• shakti
Hi running
I think I meant that bliss becomes the object of meditation for some people and can be a hindrance if it does so. It also depends on the nature of the bliss for the individual. I once went through a stage where, sorry to be rather crude but I can't think of any other apt words, I went through whole body orgasms (but wholesome, not sexual in any sense of the word) for half an hour or so at a time. By the end I was pretty exhausted. This went on for a month or so before I got through to somewhat better meditations. Over the years I learned the signs and developed methods to control the bliss.

you were experiencing extreme bliss because your system is clearing out and opening up to the divine. she has to work through all your stuff. just as she has to do with everybody. during the process she is more concerned about making a home in you than she is about how you may feel about it. in her view in the big picture with her residing in you, is a benefit to you and humanity. the process generally takes years.

as far as meditating for the bliss.  if it helps bring it on or open to more of it, that could but not always make the process faster. She is like water. She will go through and clean everything up. when enough is cleaned up and cleared up she will always be expressing herself in you. Causeless and endless. somebody in that is already there so there is no reason or benefit to focus on her as there may have been during the process. but for some wanting her pushes her away. so its not always a benefit to focus on her in the process.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2020, 03:01:35 PM by running »
American Trucker