Author Topic: Osho Documentary  (Read 207 times)

DogManStar

• Who are you?
    • Vipassana
Osho Documentary
« on: May 16, 2020, 08:47:33 PM »
I'm watching this documentary about Osho on Netflix.  I am having trouble in understanding how so many apparently wise people seem to consider Osho to be awakened when he seems to have no understanding of what the consequences of his actions might be or the difference between right and wrong.

It's making me wonder if having a still mind really brings any great insight at all?

Middleway

• Staff
  • Just be a witness.
    • Vipassana as taught by Mr. Goenka - Switched to Shamatha
Re: Osho Documentary
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2020, 10:04:00 PM »
Osho lived the life of extreme opposites. There was a 15th century zen master Ikkyu Sojun who also lived the life of opposites. 
Take everything I say with a grain of salt.

Dhamma

• Who are you?
    • I practice Vipassana meditation + mental noting (mostly Theravadan)
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2020, 12:44:46 AM »
I'm watching this documentary about Osho on Netflix.  I am having trouble in understanding how so many apparently wise people seem to consider Osho to be awakened when he seems to have no understanding of what the consequences of his actions might be or the difference between right and wrong.

It's making me wonder if having a still mind really brings any great insight at all?

I don't believe their minds are really still at all, friend. No, I don't.  Nor do I believe they have an ounce of enlightenment.

I don't want to turn this into a negative conversation, but Osho and Mooji both are cult leaders, and thus very dangerous.  I get eerie vibes from both from what I have gathered in their videos, forums, etc.

On the other hand, it's not like Geshe Kelsang Gyatso of the New Kadampa Tradition (Buddhist), on whom many unfortunate things have befallen over a split with the Dalai Lama. There appears to have happened some very unwholesome things done in the name of the NKT. But if you scrutinize Geshe Kelsang Gyatso's teachings, they are perfectly beautiful and in line with Tibetan Buddhist teachings. Some of his books are fantastic. And, I do believe he is highly enlightened. The only thing I find bothersome about the NKT centers is that their libraries only contain books written and approved by Geshe himself.  I don't care much for that. So, yes, that doesn't sit super well with me.

I've also read a lot of people with great experiences at NKT centers. They are very bothered when people ask them if they belong to a cult. They are left highly puzzled. That said, I do know that there have been very scandalous things done within the NKT among the monastics, but you can easily find very unwholesome Buddhist monks in all traditions and schools. 

I just don't want to be judgmental, and maybe what I am saying is not helpful. But these things do need discussing - they really do. 
« Last Edit: May 17, 2020, 12:57:43 AM by Dhamma »

DogManStar

• Who are you?
    • Vipassana
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2020, 04:03:13 PM »
I'm skeptical anyone who owns  90 Rolls Royces can really claim to have given up clinging.

Dhamma

• Who are you?
    • I practice Vipassana meditation + mental noting (mostly Theravadan)
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2020, 05:22:58 PM »
I'm skeptical anyone who owns  90 Rolls Royces can really claim to have given up clinging.

And you should be...

The root of all suffering is clinging and aversion to things in the external world. These are facts about existence, about samsara.

A lot of Christians cling to, and even promote sensual pleasures while proclaiming the name of Jesus. They support everything that Jesus in the Gospels preached against. Go figure! And they turn their wrath towards the government-assisted poor, women who have had abortions, and to gay and transgendered people. They are caught up in major delusions about ultimate reality. They are ignorant, and will continue to be so. We must look at these people with strong condemnation of their views, but with compassionate wisdom towards them as people. After all, they are people who want to happy like you. They just don't know how. And because of karma and emptiness, they are not completely responsible for all of their actions.

We know the delusions caused by anger, fear and aversion.

Dear friend, please don't allow a few bad apples to distort your view on the holy teachings of the Buddha.  Continue on your path, and may you see clearly and find enlightenment.

Much love in the Dharma,
Dhamma
« Last Edit: May 17, 2020, 05:24:42 PM by Dhamma »

Middleway

• Staff
  • Just be a witness.
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2020, 11:01:10 PM »

Osho told a beautiful fable about Kamal, the son of great saint named Kabir. Kabir never accepted any gifts but his son who was also an enlightened saint accepted all gifts.

One day a rich king came to pay respects to Kabir and offered him the most expensive diamond. Kabir refused it and the king on his way out met Kamal in his hut. When king mentioned that Kabir would not accept his gift, Kamal said to the king that he carried that useless stone all the way and what is the point in taking it back. He said to the king to leave it in his hut. The king got suspicious and asked where should he put it. Kamal said it doesn’t matter. So, the king left it on top of his hut and left. He came back a couple of weeks later thinking that surely Kamal must have sold the diamond. When king asked about the diamond, Kamal replied it must be in the same place you put it unless someone took it. Much to his surprise, the king found the diamond exactly where he left. Kamal had no value for the stone.

Osho had no value for those Rolls Royces. So he accepted all 90 of them as gifts. I can understand if Osho accepted one Rolls Royce because of his desire. It does not make sense to accept 90 Rolls Royces.

I am not trying to convince you that Osho is an enlightened person. He is dead now and can not possibly harm anybody. Accept his teachings if they make sense to you and discard those that do not.

If anything, just contemplate on the significance of the Kamal story. Only a perfectly content person can be austere in its true sense. I hope you can set aside your judging mind and simply focus on the the unity among the opposites.

Warm regards,

Middleway
« Last Edit: May 17, 2020, 11:04:42 PM by Middleway »

Middleway

• Staff
  • Just be a witness.
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2020, 12:07:12 AM »

It’s the other way around. Insights bring about the still mind.

dharma bum

• Certified Zen Master (second degree black belt)
    • vipassana
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2020, 02:50:03 AM »
I'm curious about teachers who clearly have a lot of charisma but whose lifestyles would be called excessive such as Rajneesh and Chögyam Trungpa. What do they teach other than what is already taught by so many teachers? The teachings of the Buddha are not that complicated.

I have to say I have some degree of skepticism about gurus who appear to run vast business empires, gurus who dress in fancy costumes and gurus who give themselves fancy titles or let their students give them fancy titles. There are a lot of these in India.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2020, 03:55:17 AM by dharma bum »
Mostly ignorant

DogManStar

• Who are you?
    • Vipassana
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2020, 07:06:02 PM »
I am also noticing that Osho seems to get very angry at people who displease him,  calling them foul and abusive names and damming them to hell etc.  By creating so much aggression he is surely harming himself.   If I can see this surely people further along the path should see this too?