Author Topic: Problem starting meditation  (Read 240 times)

dennis0324

• Who are you?
    • none
Problem starting meditation
« on: May 09, 2020, 11:08:42 PM »
Hello everyone. for about a week I have been trying to start meditating but am having a hard time doing it. when I sit to meditate and try to focus or concentrate on my breath for some reason I seem to be  putting pressure on my right eye and that causes me to get eye pain and a headache on the right side of my head. On top of that  I think I might be developing neurological problems because my stress/anxiety levels are thru the roof. For a few months now out of nowhere my hands are constantly sweating. Even when I get up in the morning my hands are already clammy. I anyone has any ideas or suggestion i would greatly appreciate it.

Goofaholix

• Write something about yourself here
    • Theravada / Insight Meditation
Re: Problem starting meditation
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2020, 10:05:19 AM »
Firstly don't concentrate, just observe, you need a relaxed but diligent observation not a forced concentration.

I assume you are observing the breath at the nostrils, try observing the breath somewhere else like the abdomen or chest.

stillpointdancer

• stillpointdancer
  • Retired teacher, deepening understanding of Dharma
    • Insight meditation
    • Exploring the results of 30 years of meditating
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2020, 12:30:48 PM »
Hi dennis0324. I think it's important to enjoy meditation from the start, otherwise it can quickly become a chore or a negative experience such as yours. Goofaholix is right about being relaxed, although I would go further and say that a basic meditation which only has the objective of making you feel relaxed and less stressed is important. It means that whenever things do start to get as bad as you describe you have a fall-back meditation to destress and relax, and then possibly return to your original meditation. I've been meditating one way or another for forty-odd years and I still go back to such meditations when I need to.
“You do not need to leave your room. Remain sitting at your table and listen. Do not even listen, simply wait, be quiet, still and solitary. The world will freely offer itself to you to be unmasked, it has no choice, it will roll in ecstasy at your feet.” Franz Kafka

dennis0324

• Who are you?
    • none
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2020, 05:03:03 PM »
Firstly don't concentrate, just observe, you need a relaxed but diligent observation not a forced concentration.

I assume you are observing the breath at the nostrils, try observing the breath somewhere else like the abdomen or chest.

Thanks that is what I am trying to do but am having a hard time just observing without concentrating. I cant seem to be able to one without the other. yes I was trying to observe the breath at the nostril like Goenka says. I will try the different parts to see if It is easier.

dennis0324

• Who are you?
    • none
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2020, 05:07:20 PM »
Hi dennis0324. I think it's important to enjoy meditation from the start, otherwise it can quickly become a chore or a negative experience such as yours. Goofaholix is right about being relaxed, although I would go further and say that a basic meditation which only has the objective of making you feel relaxed and less stressed is important. It means that whenever things do start to get as bad as you describe you have a fall-back meditation to destress and relax, and then possibly return to your original meditation. I've been meditating one way or another for forty-odd years and I still go back to such meditations when I need to.

Thanks I do not see it as chore I do genuinely enjoy meditating when I can do it correctly. The goal I trying to achieve to be able to relax and let go of the tension. Its seems the eyes are the part that are giving me more problem. But I will try a different approach and see how that develops.

dharma bum

• Certified Zen Master (second degree black belt)
    • vipassana
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2020, 02:39:03 PM »
Hello everyone. for about a week I have been trying to start meditating but am having a hard time doing it. when I sit to meditate and try to focus or concentrate on my breath for some reason I seem to be  putting pressure on my right eye and that causes me to get eye pain and a headache on the right side of my head.

Are you clenching your jaw/neck/shoulders?
Mostly ignorant

dennis0324

• Who are you?
    • none
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2020, 05:41:48 PM »

Are you clenching your jaw/neck/shoulders?

no I am relaxed

Dhamma

• Who are you?
    • I practice Vipassana meditation + mental noting (mostly Theravadan)
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2020, 05:57:00 PM »
Sometimes our bodies just don't want to relax.  So, we just watch our body and become aware of where are mind and body tenses up.  We let go while observing closely.  We learn to just be. 

My left leg still - after all this time of meditating - wants to tense up during meditation. It's fascinating.  Just only recently has it begun to ease up after strong awareness during meditation.

Not all types of meditation are about relaxation, which is important:  It is also very much about observation and insight, which helps us ultimately to find inner peace from "clear-seeing".  Always remember, too, that peace is the highest happiness. This is so emphasized in many of Ajahn Brahm's teachings. Those moments of deep silence between our chaotic thoughts - yes, that is our truest Buddhist nature. And to quote our Tibetan Buddhists who do Dzogchen meditation: "The rainbow was never *out there*; it was always IN you" (in the "you" who doesn't exist in ultimate reality).

Full peace = stop clinging to external world (sensual pleasures, hating aversions, etc.) + going inwards (meditation and mind/body observation)

Peace and enlightenment.  :)
« Last Edit: May 11, 2020, 06:04:19 PM by Dhamma »

Thanisaro85

• When thoughts, sensations, feelings arise,know it
    • Reverend father Jaran, Pramote. Theravada
    • Still breathing.
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2020, 03:25:57 PM »
For a few months now out of nowhere my hands are constantly sweating. Even when I get up in the morning my hands are already clammy. I anyone has any ideas or suggestion i would greatly appreciate it.

Physical health need to be address separately for some cases, you mentioned your hands sweat for past few months, any changes in diet? Like too much caffiene, nicotine, alcohol or too much mints/ menthol?

For meditation, perhap you want to change to watch the rising and falling of the abdominal instead? This will lessen the pressure built up at the eye area. It is just like people staring the pc for long time they get a migraine.

« Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 03:27:54 PM by Thanisaro85 »
A Mind Unshaken, when touches by worldy matter, sorrowless, secure and dustless, this is the ultimate great blessing~ Mangala Sutta

paxton9

• Who are you?
    • medtation.org
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2020, 03:29:57 PM »
Hello
I started meditation but I can't focussed because my schedule is very busy. and I can't give time in meditation but I do for my best.
I started some meditation postures.

Thanisaro85

• When thoughts, sensations, feelings arise,know it
    • Reverend father Jaran, Pramote. Theravada
    • Still breathing.
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2020, 03:47:04 PM »
Hello
I started meditation but I can't focussed because my schedule is very busy. and I can't give time in meditation but I do for my best.
I started some meditation postures.

Do u have 5 mins before u sleep? No need to sit on the cushion, just sit on your bed. Close your eye, take some deep breath to relax yourself. Meditation is not all about making your mind still, just observing them. You had probably read the front page where Mathew has provided some guidances. That's that.
A Mind Unshaken, when touches by worldy matter, sorrowless, secure and dustless, this is the ultimate great blessing~ Mangala Sutta

Dhamma

• Who are you?
    • I practice Vipassana meditation + mental noting (mostly Theravadan)
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2020, 05:00:59 PM »
Do u have 5 mins before u sleep? No need to sit on the cushion, just sit on your bed. Close your eye, take some deep breath to relax yourself. Meditation is not all about making your mind still, just observing them. You had probably read the front page where Mathew has provided some guidances. That's that.

Absolutely! Meditation is not all about relaxing the mind; in fact, a big part of meditation is simply watching the mind and the bodily sensations associated with your emotions. We do it no matter how bad we feel. The problem is, is that many people won't meditate when they feel the worst, but that is a crying shame, as that is when it is perfect to meditate.

You come to realize over the time that you are not your thoughts; they're impermanent with no inherent existence. This leads to greater happiness and contentment over time.

Peace and enlightenment.