Author Topic: What is the physical counterpart to YOUR thoughts / emotions?  (Read 427 times)

NewPathForward

• Who are you?
    • Beginner in Vipassana / The Path
Hi everybody, I hope all is well for you!  :)

I am doing a six-week meditation workbook.  I have been doing mindfulness of breath for over a month now, and I am on the second week of the workbook which is mindfulness of breath supported by breadth of awareness.  This means expanding, gently, awareness out to other senses when our attention toward the sensations of the moving belly is continually interrupted.  This means thoughts, sounds, physical sensations, etc.

Lately, the workbook has been prompting me to find the physical counterpart of the emotions behind my distractions (Anxiety, boredom, etc) and I sometimes am struggling to identify these "counter-sensations".  I always write down what I noticed after my sessions and it has been helpful to review past meditation notes before and after I practice again.  I am noticing that in these notes, I am often unsure if the physical sensations I was feeling were fabricated or real.  It even seems that some of these sensations are appearing multiple times despite different emotions being present, which leads me to believe that these sensations are not the actual physical counterpart to the emotion.

Ie: "I noticed a strange sensation in the left side of my head whilst restless"
"Early on, had a lot of itching.  Also, legs twitching more than usual, perhaps this is a physical counterpart to frustration"

My question to you guys is what are some of your "Physical counterparts" to specific emotions and thoughts?  I know that I will not gain insight from somebody on a forum telling me their experience, but I am more so curious as to how subtle these sensations can be and if it may take a very long time to actually begin to notice them.

On an upside, I believe I am beginning to truly comprehend the word equanimity through my own experience.  I also believe slowly expanding my awareness is bringing the positive effects of Samatha into my life, albeit at a slow pace.

Much metta,
Charlie

Goofaholix

• Write something about yourself here
    • Theravada / Insight Meditation
Re: What is the physical counterpart to YOUR thoughts / emotions?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2020, 11:17:48 PM »
I think the problem here is that you are probably expecting to be abler to draw a linear one to one relationship between thought a and physical counterpart b.

Without being able to read the text I can't be sure but I assume the point of what it is trying to get across is each time you notice a thought or emotion you should expand awareness to the body to experience physical sensation.  You won't be able to catalog one to one relationships between these but over time you will start to build an awareness that thought and emotions is rooted in the body.  Sometimes we go through life so caught up in thought and emotion we become disembodied in how we perceive ourselves, this practice should bring you back from that and give you a better awareness of the miond-body process.

Dhamma

• May we all fulfill our deepest wish for happiness
    • Zen/Tibetan/Theravada
Re: What is the physical counterpart to YOUR thoughts / emotions?
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2020, 06:09:50 PM »
I think the problem here is that you are probably expecting to be abler to draw a linear one to one relationship between thought a and physical counterpart b.

Without being able to read the text I can't be sure but I assume the point of what it is trying to get across is each time you notice a thought or emotion you should expand awareness to the body to experience physical sensation.  You won't be able to catalog one to one relationships between these but over time you will start to build an awareness that thought and emotions is rooted in the body.  Sometimes we go through life so caught up in thought and emotion we become disembodied in how we perceive ourselves, this practice should bring you back from that and give you a better awareness of the miond-body process.

I agree completely, dear friend.

We forget we have a body. We have to be learn to be grounded in the body.  When we're not, we shoot off into fantasy and folklore, losing touch with reality.

This is key for greater enlightenment and happiness: to always be grounded in the body. The mind-body awareness is vital.

Kum Nye yoga and Tsa Lung exercises are excellent in helping us to be conscious of the mind-body connection.

Peace and enlightenment to you.
You are already Buddha

May we see clearly the emptiness of all phenomena