Author Topic: Relationship between stress, suffering, and certain parts of the body  (Read 191 times)

NewPathForward

• Who are you?
    • Beginner in Vipassana / The Path
I came into Vipassana practice thinking that it was just Anapana.  This is how I practiced for a couple weeks.  Of course, through reading, asking questions, and continuing my practice I've discovered that it is actually so much more than that.

I've been implementing a lot more body scanning into my practice, usually after 15-20 minutes of Anapana so I am concentrated.  I am trying to further understand the connection between mind, body, and trauma.

I've noticed that when I am scanning downward, I tend to experience a lot of aversion when I am scanning the space between my elbow and my hands, and likewise with my lower neck, lower back (this might be due to my posture), and legs.  I think the legs are simply due to me feeling pain from meditating quite a bit right off the bat (I average 1hr+ a day over 2-3 sessions for the last three weeks).

How do I develop awareness of this physical connection with my emotions?  Regarding the negative emotions / aversion I feel when simply feeling my arms, could this be where I've stored a lot of stress for the last few years? 

In the Summer of 2018, I decided to leave my support group for drugs and alcohol because I thought I had outgrown my problem.  There was a year straight of opiate use as well as methamphetamine.  On those drugs, I took very, very self-destructive actions that I am not proud of.  Perhaps I stored some of these memories within my body?

stillpointdancer

• stillpointdancer
  • Retired teacher, deepening understanding of Dharma
    • Insight meditation
    • Exploring the results of 30 years of meditating
Re: Relationship between stress, suffering, and certain parts of the body
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2020, 11:37:58 AM »
Hi. I always use body scanning with relaxation, so that if I notice any tension I can do something about it before going on with the meditation. Body scanning works in that you become more aware of your body but there doesn't seem much point if you don't do something about it. In terms of stress, it may show physically but it is mostly there in the mind and meditation will make you more aware of it and give you a chance to do something about it.
“You do not need to leave your room. Remain sitting at your table and listen. Do not even listen, simply wait, be quiet, still and solitary. The world will freely offer itself to you to be unmasked, it has no choice, it will roll in ecstasy at your feet.” Franz Kafka