Author Topic: Training the mind to be mindfulness Automatically.  (Read 464 times)

Thanisaro85

• When thoughts, sensations, feelings arise,know it
    • Reverend father Jaran, Pramote. Theravada
    • Still breathing.
Training the mind to be mindfulness Automatically.
« on: April 08, 2020, 03:45:42 PM »
Any living things on the earth have mindfulness to certain extends, there is a cause.

For example, most human being know how to be mindfulness when crossing a road.

In dharma practises, it is to apply this mindfuless to the vedanas- thoughts, feelings and sensations. It is like programming the mind to be mindfulness/knowing at every phenomena changes within the body and mind, so much so one day the mindfulness will become Automatic by its own, and that will lead to the real experiencing of non-self, unsatifactories, impermanence, not conceptualised.

Excerpts from the book A guide to meditation by R.F.Pramote

Allow the feeling or mental state to arise first, and then know it. In this way, at first we will only know the really obvious ones, for example anger. Then later, we will know states which are a little more subtle, like being annoyed. Eventually, we will be able to notice even the slightest irritation. We don’t force ourselves to see subtle phenomena arise; the way is to know simply and enjoyably.
 This is what we all should do. We should practice our normal meditation method, but when the mind gets lost in thought, know so. When it is focusing, know so. When it is happy, sad, angry, greedy or lost, just know that each state has arisen. We train in this way every day, and make sure we find some quiet time to train formally as well.

There need not be the slightest idea about when our practice will improve or when genuine mindfulness will arise. When we have had plenty of practice, our mind will remember many states and thus recognize them at once when they appear.
Mindfulness will arise on its own in our daily life. In this room here, there are many of my students who have mindfulness arise on its own. And when it does, we will come to see that the body is not us. It is just a form that moves. We will also see that the mind is impermanent, ever changing and cannot be controlled.
 At this point, we will have learned what is necessary. And when we keep feeding the truth to our mind each day by watching the bodyand mind, one day true wisdom will blossom. It will be crystal clear that the body and mindare not us. We see more and more clearly as we sever the wrong view that the body and mind are us.
(There are ten “fetters” that are severed.) We will then dislodge from them and never have the feeling that the body and mind are us ever again. There is nothing to hold on to, nothing to maintain.  Let’s keep practicing until one day we relinquish our attachment to the body. The mind will be completely and constantly awake without any effort. This is the Buddhist stage of enlightenment known as the non-returner or anagami. As we practice further, consciousness, the ‘knowing’ element, will show its characteristics of impermanence, unsatisfactoriness, and nonself. The mind will then let go, as it will no longer be anyone’s possession; it will return itself to the world, to the universe, to nature. And then it is final. There is nothing left to do. We don’t even need to call one who has undergone this process “enlightened” or an “arahant” - there remains nothing substantial to label or denote.
A Mind Unshaken, when touches by worldy matter, sorrowless, secure and dustless, this is the ultimate great blessing~ Mangala Sutta

Dhamma

• May we all fulfill our deepest wish for happiness
    • Zen/Tibetan/Theravada
Re: Training the mind to be mindfulness Automatically.
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2020, 02:42:35 AM »
@Thanisaro85

Your post was beautiful. The truth of all truths.

We are not our bodies, neither are we are minds. We cling to thoughts as if they have inherent existence, which they do not. We cling to the body as if it has inherent existence, which it does not. This clinging is why we suffer. We have great delusions of the self, which, again, we cling to and thus make us suffer greatly.

May we all fulfill our deepest wish: to be free from all suffering.
You are already Buddha

May we see clearly the emptiness of all phenomena

NewPathForward

• Who are you?
    • Beginner in Vipassana / The Path
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2020, 03:34:40 AM »
Absolutely beautiful.  I try to force this a lot, but it cannot be forced.  Trying to force things like this is just part of the nature of my suffering.  May the universe reveal itself to me, unwinding itself at my feet. 

Much metta,
Charlie

Dhamma

• May we all fulfill our deepest wish for happiness
    • Zen/Tibetan/Theravada
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2020, 03:50:30 AM »
Absolutely beautiful.  I try to force this a lot, but it cannot be forced.  Trying to force things like this is just part of the nature of my suffering.  May the universe reveal itself to me, unwinding itself at my feet. 

Much metta,
Charlie

Yes, it is. It is the truth.

Zen Buddhism always emphasizes to never have a goal. Just be as you are in the moment. That is all that matters. Forcing and really trying only feed our egos and lead to greater suffering.

As one Buddhist monk says online: Buddhism isn't about giving up out of force. We only give up sensual pleasure because we see the silliness in clinging to them. They only give rise to continual suffering.  We give them up naturally like water flowing in a river.

With the love and compassion of the holy Buddha,

Dhamma
« Last Edit: April 09, 2020, 03:52:10 AM by Dhamma »
You are already Buddha

May we see clearly the emptiness of all phenomena