Author Topic: Persistent ringing in ears after vipassana  (Read 24909 times)

Harry

• Who are you?
    • Vipassana
    • Love life - enjoy every moment
Re: Persistent ringing in ears after vipassana
« Reply #50 on: January 17, 2017, 04:45:33 PM »
Hi,

I just attended a 10 day retreat.  On day five I developed a horrible ringing in my ears and it is still with me a week later.  I don't know what I did or what happened.  Has anybody heard of this before?  I think I am going insane the technique is only making it worse.  Any insight anyone has would be much appreciated.

Brian

Hello Brian,

I have suffered with tinitus for a long time and the brain has a miraculous way of tuning it out. It just becomes background noise that you do not notice until you are still and present.

It could be that you had a mild / certain tone of tinitus that you have never noticed and from practicing Vipassana and becoming deeply aware you now notice it.

I wish you all the best.

kazujintenno

• Who are you?
    • mantra chanting and vipassana
Re: Persistent ringing in ears after vipassana
« Reply #51 on: April 09, 2020, 02:35:56 PM »
Hi all,

I'm sharing my experience with my tinnitus. First and foremost I became a devoted Buddhist practitioner after gaining tinnitus. my case is more like a reverse as it is not gained from Vipassana.
I got it during my days when I was hospitalized together with my vertigo.  I was suffering from depression and all kinds of mental afflictions during the stay in the hospital about 3 - 4 years ago. Few MRI scans here and there, all kinds of drugs not a single one can fix my situation. Eventually, the doctors managed to stabilize my vertigo to a very very mild stage, but my tinnitus remains the same.

Thanks to my supportive parents and friends, I managed to pull through.

Now, I know the frequency of the tinnitus differs from everyone but, I am sharing how I personally deal with my own frequency.  I discovered it when I try to sleep.

First attempt.
-----------------
1. Focus a sound that you don't mind hearing continuously when resting. E.g. fan motor, air conditioning hum, very very minor sounds. if you have those mini in-door fountains (feng-shui ones) that will work too (i loved focusing on the water sound of the fountain).
2. Focus on that sound for like half an hour before sleeping, the whole focus process is tiring. Well, that's the way to sleep.

2nd attempt
-----------------
1. Exposing yourself with water element. I go swimming in my apartment whenever my tinnitus goes high. Swimming into the water helps to dampen all kinds of sound left just you and the tinnitus. For some reason I'm more relax after swimming and can sleep after the swim.

3rd attempt (my personal fav)
-----------------
1. Night Crickets. my tinnitus frequency is very close to the ones generated by night crickets but it goes continuously (u know the tsk tsk tsk... but my tinnitus goes tsssssssssk....) . I like to focus on their sounds. I focus so much on their sound. I decided to download the app that generates similar sound. 
2. After few months, I adapted my tinnitus using cricket sounds and I no longer need to use the app anymore. Its has become a habit to just equating that long tssssssssssk sound as tsk tsk tsk... of a relaxing serene and natural night by the park.

I really hope this help those inflicted by tinnitus to adapt themselves and eventually find some peace.

For those who really think that the tinnitus originates from vipassana. Maybe you can google some articles related to some Pali teaching called Dibba sota. I read about this before but, since Pali teachings are all oral transmitted, I cant tell more. Not saying this the miracle cure or anything but, just saying there's such thing as an induced tinnitus meditation. Again i dont know much about those teaching I cant really share much.