Author Topic: Dark night??  (Read 254 times)

Thanisssss

• Who are you?
    • Theravada
Dark night??
« on: April 03, 2020, 07:34:29 PM »
Hello

I am facing a big problem in my meditation path.For many months Ive been dealing with many negative symptoms which I suspect is The dark night.I have extreme brain fog, disoriented feeling,hyper arousal, nausea, lethargy,body shaking/trembling, insomnia,no motivation, body itching,agitation,disease etc..
I know these are symptoms of past repressed emotions coming to surface but the problem is that for example when I have for some day good concentration and tranquility the next day I will have insomnia, lethargy and very bad brain fog which doesnt let me continue the practice .
This pattern has been happening all these months.I feel stuck from this negative effects.

Metta

Thanisaro85

• When thoughts, sensations, feelings arise,know it
    • Reverend father Jaran, Pramote. Theravada
    • Still breathing.
Re: Dark night??
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2020, 04:38:04 PM »
Hello

I am facing a big problem in my meditation path.For many months Ive been dealing with many negative symptoms which I suspect is The dark night.I have extreme brain fog, disoriented feeling,hyper arousal, nausea, lethargy,body shaking/trembling, insomnia,no motivation, body itching,agitation,disease etc..
I know these are symptoms of past repressed emotions coming to surface but the problem is that for example when I have for some day good concentration and tranquility the next day I will have insomnia, lethargy and very bad brain fog which doesnt let me continue the practice .
This pattern has been happening all these months.I feel stuck from this negative effects.

Metta

These symptoms can arised if you focus too much during meditations, loosen up a bit( just focus lightly and be aware when vedana arised) during every new session and do not look for tranquility everytimes. It is ok to finish the session without achieving the tranquility. Rather, be mindful of your body, thoughts, feeling and sensation every moment during daily activities. I have experienced "some" of your symptoms at some point of times but now this has ended.

Maybe some other members can shed more lights on this.
A Mind Unshaken, when touches by worldy matter, sorrowless, secure and dustless, this is the ultimate great blessing~ Mangala Sutta

Dhamma

• Who are you?
    • I practice Vipassana meditation + mental noting (mostly Theravadan)
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2020, 05:20:27 PM »
Hello

Metta

These symptoms can arised if you focus too much during meditations, loosen up a bit( just focus lightly and be aware when vedana arised) during every new session and do not look for tranquility everytimes. It is ok to finish the session without achieving the tranquility. Rather, be mindful of your body, thoughts, feeling and sensation every moment during daily activities. I have experienced "some" of your symptoms at some point of times but now this has ended.

Maybe some other members can shed more lights on this.

What you say is so true.

When we get like this, our meditations sessions are bringing all our subconscious fears to the forefront. We need to relax into our meditation; in other words, we go into and out of meditation with no expectations or goals. We must learn to just be in the moment. We must let all go.  Otherwise, we can go through periods of "darkness" as you mention above, which is not necessarily a bad thing. All states are impermanent.

Maybe practice samatha meditation, or do some yantric yoga and breathing exercises (great videos online, mainly Youtube).

Things will get better.

Wishing you the love and compassion of the holy Buddha,

Damma.

NewPathForward

• Who are you?
    • Beginner in Vipassana / The Path
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2020, 06:16:35 PM »
I am also new in my practice and am experiencing similar things.  I do not have much wisdom to offer in terms of personal experience but I believe there may be value in remembering that meditation is not going to put us in a state of bliss every single time.  When I have this expectation then I will inevitably be disappointed.   I still do this all the time without realizing it of course, but I think I find more value when I decide to meditate “Just to see what happens”. 

For example, I try not to meditate when angry just to try and not be angry.  Rather, I meditate when angry to observe what effect that anger has on my concentration.  I just started doing this and it’s been helping a lot!

Perhaps these negative emotions are just part of the cleaning up process.  Let them be what they are.  I’ve found that my emotions are not grounded in reality whatsoever, but they feel like accurate depictions of reality.  Most of the time when I’m lonely I am telling myself that I am not surrounded by loving people, but I really am.  Just push through! 

Dhamma

• Who are you?
    • I practice Vipassana meditation + mental noting (mostly Theravadan)
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2020, 01:21:50 AM »
I am also new in my practice and am experiencing similar things.  I do not have much wisdom to offer in terms of personal experience but I believe there may be value in remembering that meditation is not going to put us in a state of bliss every single time.  When I have this expectation then I will inevitably be disappointed.   I still do this all the time without realizing it of course, but I think I find more value when I decide to meditate “Just to see what happens”. 

For example, I try not to meditate when angry just to try and not be angry.  Rather, I meditate when angry to observe what effect that anger has on my concentration.  I just started doing this and it’s been helping a lot!

Perhaps these negative emotions are just part of the cleaning up process.  Let them be what they are.  I’ve found that my emotions are not grounded in reality whatsoever, but they feel like accurate depictions of reality.  Most of the time when I’m lonely I am telling myself that I am not surrounded by loving people, but I really am.  Just push through!

Yes, we can skip meditations when we are an emotional wreck at times, but we should strive to meditate, even when we feel at our worse. Try to observe the terribly negative emotion. You aren't the emotion; you're simply experiencing the emotion. Try to see it for what it really is. Sure, we can do Samatha or some breathing techniques as they do in Tibetan yoga to calm us done beforehand. That is fine. I understand that some emotions are so overwhelming that we almost have to do calming abiding meditation or breathing technique to begin to be able to slightly observe what is really going on.

Remember, it is true: our minds tell us untrue stories about reality all the time. But when we meditate and watch very closely with our minds, we start to see that our minds are lying to us; in other words, we're not seeing ultimate reality.  Thoughts and emotions are just that: thoughts and emotions. They have no inherent existence (emptiness). They come and go (impermanence). Behind those thoughts, is our true Buddha nature:  we are perfectly peaceful and calm with everything in the cosmos; that is, we are free from all suffering.

On a personal note:  I experience severe anxiety at times (much better now, but still there at times). I will believe that I am going crazy.  I start to tell myself stories. Nothing is based on reality. It's like my mind has become a fictional book.  And, now, after having meditated for some time, I can pull myself out of it a bit easier. And you all can do the same, too, whatever mental affliction you have.

Remember when you experience terrible feelings (even pleasant ones), where do you feel them in the body? Watch and observe. You will slowly but surely get answers to all your suffering. It takes time, though - a lot of time.  I still suffer with bad delusions at times, but I have also made great progress.

I wish you all freedom from suffering.

With love and compassion of the holy Buddha,

Dhamma
« Last Edit: April 06, 2020, 01:29:32 AM by Dhamma »