Author Topic: Microsleep during TM meditation  (Read 386 times)

jaggo

• Who are you?
    • TM
Microsleep during TM meditation
« on: March 12, 2020, 08:15:52 PM »
Hi,
Im very new to mediation all together, and have since just one week back started doing "Kind of" TM-meditation, 2x20 min a day (as good as I can from what I have read online as I can't afford a real course). Basically what Im doing is sitting in a quite room with eyes closed, repeating a mantra silently.

Now, I don't think I am yet "really meditating", at least not reaching any real deeper states without thoughts, but sometimes I feel more relaxed, like Im going deeper (usually the excitement of something happening pulls be quickly up again though) - any tips on how to avoid this is welcomed - but there is another question that I have in mind here:
Sometimes, when going "down" its like Im forgetting I am meditation, instead I kind of hear words, phrases or imagine images and scenes, like Im am micro-dreaming, its like the state right before going to sleep. Sometimes I also see vague circling patterns. I hav read that it might be something called "Yoga Nidra", which can be a desired state for some practices, but that its not really the meditative state.

However, as I want to learn to really meditate, going deeper, and reaching the "thought less" alternative states of consciousness or pure awareness, or whatever, "awakening", so I guess I would like to avoid this "micro sleep" or Yoga Nidra states? So, any tips on how to avoid this state? Or is it perhaps on the right track to meditation anyway?

Very thankful for all tips, both on the topic, but also on how to learn deep meditation on my own.

stillpointdancer

• stillpointdancer
  • Retired teacher, deepening understanding of Dharma
    • Insight meditation
    • Exploring the results of 30 years of meditating
Re: Microsleep during TM meditation
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2020, 12:19:35 PM »
Counting the breath is one that works for me when I want to stay with the meditation, followed by concentrating on the breath. Another is a Metta meditation where you are wishing people well. Anything which keeps the attention, like chanting a mantra, while meditating. On the other hand I don't knock myself out if I find that my mind has wandered, just bring it back to the counting or whatever. Like you I spent many years meditating before finally going to a Buddhist Centre and learning their basic meditations.
“You do not need to leave your room. Remain sitting at your table and listen. Do not even listen, simply wait, be quiet, still and solitary. The world will freely offer itself to you to be unmasked, it has no choice, it will roll in ecstasy at your feet.” Franz Kafka

dharma bum

• Certified Zen Master (second degree black belt)
    • vipassana
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2020, 01:32:44 PM »
However, as I want to learn to really meditate, going deeper, and reaching the "thought less" alternative states of consciousness or pure awareness, or whatever, "awakening", so I guess I would like to avoid this "micro sleep" or Yoga Nidra states? So, any tips on how to avoid this state? Or is it perhaps on the right track to meditation anyway?

I think it is not useful to think about all these advanced states of consciousness and stuff like that. A lot of people come to meditation attracted by mystical stuff, sometimes they have read about kundalini awakenings and activation of third eyes and usually after a couple of days, they want to know if they're there yet. :)
Mostly ignorant

mobius

• vipassana
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2020, 05:59:23 PM »
I think that in the beginning I also had these "micro sleeps" as you call them or I was literally going into a state of sleep or sleep like more so than meditation. That is partly because I was sleep deprived. It is now well documented by scientists that many (if not most) people in western society are sleep deprived, even if they don't think they are. Basically; if you're a person who says "if I sit down I'm out." you're sleep deprived.
Anyways; while I'm no expert and this is simplifying a complex issue a bit: I think this is not meditation at all; at least it's not getting some of the goals or benefits that 'true' meditation gives. This was true for myself at least. I've heard many expert say things like; "meditation is essentially all about awareness. It's about training or realizing awareness etc." If you forget that you're meditating; that's not exactly being aware imo.

For myself I can tell now when I need sleep or not when I meditate. If I'm healthy I can sit and meditate for a while and not feel sleepy/strange, or have hallucinations or other dream like or bizarre mental things going on. If try to sit and I feel sleepy; these days I don't bother to meditate and instead go to bed.
Sleep (and meditation) is more important than most people realize and this fact is only very recently becoming understood and circulated through our society.
"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain