Author Topic: Are there any modern day teachers that can see the things written in the suttas?  (Read 244 times)

nicktw

• Who are you?
    • mix
I'm quite new to buddhist, hindu teachings and enjoy reading about 'other worldly' things spoken about in ancient texts. But why is it that all recent teachers always refer to suttas for explanations rather than their own visions and insights. Is it because no one has reached Buddha's level, which from my understanding is not even a very high level or because people after the buddha era don't develop certain abilities like wisdom eye etc to see the things spoken about in the suttas.

I've mainly been reading about meditation techniques and at least in this regard there seems to be some modern masters who teach a certain way, or at least some agreement that if you do A it will lead to B which leads to C and so on. But are there any (modern) teachers who have seen things like the 31 levels of existence and openly talk about this or things like

The six heavenly planes

11. Paranimmitavassavatī bhuṃ (Realm of devas who enjoy sensory pleasures created by others for them)
10. Nimmānarati bhuṃ (Realm of devas who delight in creating)
9. Tusita bhuṃ (Realm of devas of  happiness and contentment)
8. Yāmā bhuṃ (Realm of blissful existence)
7. Tāvatimsa bhuṃ (Realm of the thirty-three gods)
6. Cātummahārājika bhuṃ (Heaven of four great kings)

Are all the ancient Tibetan paintings just forms of art based on descriptions given by buddha or have the scenes actually been seen by the artists themselves?

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Staff
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
But why is it that all recent teachers always refer to suttas for explanations rather than their own visions and insights. Is it because no one has reached Buddha's level, which from my understanding is not even a very high level or because people after the buddha era don't develop certain abilities like wisdom eye etc to see the things spoken about in the suttas.

The Buddha taught his teachings would be lost 500 years after he died.

But are there any (modern) teachers who have seen things like the 31 levels of existence and openly talk about this or things like...

No.

Are all the ancient Tibetan paintings just forms of art based on descriptions given by buddha or have the scenes actually been seen by the artists themselves?

Forms of art.
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

nicktw

• Who are you?
    • mix
Thanks for your reply!