Author Topic: What is the most effective piece of advice you ever heard re meditation?  (Read 447 times)

ItsBetterThanTV

• Who are you?
    • self taught
What piece of advice was most powerful to you? Most helpful?

To help you achieve a peaceful happy state not necessarily during formal meditation practice but in general.

For me it was keep admitting whats real is real. No fighting against reality, if you cant do it, admit that, if you cant do it fully but some, and youd like to do it fully, admit that too, if this que doesn't work anymore admit that, and so on forever.

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Staff
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
Re: What is the most effective piece of advice you ever heard re meditation?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2020, 01:40:00 AM »
The basic foundation of all Buddhist traditions is morality, living a wholesome life. This includes your thoughts, deeds and words. Don't do such things hastily. Hasty choices are often not so wise. Be honest in your dealings with people. Develop kindness, sympathetic joy for others, compassion and empathy. Before you speak, ask yourself, "is this kind, is this helpful, is this the right time".

To live according to basic moral principles is to set yourself up to live in peace. You don't even have to meditate to gain these benefits, though of course when you do meditate, you will find it easier, as you are not conflicted by unwholesome thoughts, actions or words - and meditation will only enhance the qualities that make living a moral life, a simple life, more obvious.

This is the best advice I have been given, to live well, to live the good life.
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

Siddharth

• Staff
    • unlearning, relearning and letting go
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2020, 03:11:38 AM »
The best advice depends on where one is wrt level of maturity, practise etc. For eg. reading Plato's Republik to a toddler might not be a good idea(though all toddlers are not the same). Similarly, as one progresses on the path, the best advice keeps on changing. I guess the best advice is the one you need at any given point.

That being said, something powerful that I have come across, which is good for almost everyone, meditating or not is this :
a. Give close attention to what you speak(later you can expand this to what you are thinking/ your thoughts as well).
b. Observe the effect that your own speech has on you (and it does big time).
c. Do not speak anything that makes you weaker. (This includes saying lies, victimizing yourself, speaking with an intention to hurt etc.)

As most people speak (or write on online platforms) often, this exercise helps one be mindful along the day, which complements and supplements the practice on the cushion. It is also powerful to counter anxiety, depression etc. and gives insight into our own narrative for our lives and how at times it can be us deluding our own selves by playing victim/ tyrant/ slave to people, situations etc.

As I said, one does not need to be a meditator to do this, but it helps one be mindful throughout the day, and is more manageable than aiming to be mindful at all times.

Regards and Metta,
Siddharth
And what is good, Phædrus,
And what is not good...
Need we ask anyone to tell us these things?

stillpointdancer

• stillpointdancer
  • Retired teacher, deepening understanding of Dharma
    • Insight meditation
    • Exploring the results of 30 years of meditating
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2020, 12:28:54 PM »
I think the best piece of advice was to develop two core meditations, mindfulness of breathing and Metta Bhavana, and to keep returning to them frequently. This was because I took up meditation way before taking up Buddhism, and the people at the Buddhist centre there thought that I needed a basic meditation practice to ground all the experimental stuff I was trying.
“You do not need to leave your room. Remain sitting at your table and listen. Do not even listen, simply wait, be quiet, still and solitary. The world will freely offer itself to you to be unmasked, it has no choice, it will roll in ecstasy at your feet.” Franz Kafka

ItsBetterThanTV

• Who are you?
    • self taught
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2020, 06:48:19 PM »
I think the best piece of advice was to develop two core meditations, mindfulness of breathing and Metta Bhavana, and to keep returning to them frequently. This was because I took up meditation way before taking up Buddhism, and the people at the Buddhist centre there thought that I needed a basic meditation practice to ground all the experimental stuff I was trying.

clever man :)))

ItsBetterThanTV

• Who are you?
    • self taught
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2020, 06:48:47 PM »
thanks so much guys!!!