Author Topic: What does it feel like to you when you get meditation right and it goes well?  (Read 182 times)

ItsBetterThanTV

• Who are you?
    • self taught
Goes really well?

Even if its just for a short period of time what does those few moments of near perfect presence feel like to you?

Dharmic Tui

• Something
    • Some Theravada, some secular
Beyond words.

mobius

• vipassana
Though I think I have ideas or at least delusions of an idea I would like to hear others thoughts on this question as well.

If I ever meditated correctly and any of the things I felt was progress on the meditative path then just as Dharmic Tui said it's beyond words. But I think also you also just kind of know. It's one of those things that you'll know when you get there. If you're not sure then it hasn't happened yet.
"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

chin

• Goenka
At the start of my meditation practice, a few years ago, I had a few "experiences" wherein my mind went completely quiet, it completely relinquished all sense of control and it felt like free-falling through infinite empty space. It was incredibly blissful, but I soon realized that I was artificially creating these experiences by forcing the mind shut and also craving these experiences. Nonetheless, I wasn't seeing any improvements in my off-the-cushion life.

I have since realized that meditation done correctly, and if it goes well, has nothing to do with these fleeting experiences. It is all about insights you develop about the nature of mind, self, and its relationship with the rest of the world. It brings about a lightness of being in my off-the-cushion life. I'm smiling more often in situations that I would otherwise be tightly contracting against. Love, joy and connection become freely available to me all the time. That's when I know I'm doing it right.

stillpointdancer

• stillpointdancer
  • Retired teacher, deepening understanding of Dharma
    • Insight meditation
    • Exploring the results of 30 years of meditating
I know what you mean. For me it feels like I'm aligning myself with something 'out there' as well as within myself. Or a bit like when you suddenly find yourself on a path after walking across rough ground, or when you are playing tennis and as you hit the ball you know it's going to go exactly where you wanted it to go. Of course the memorable times when the instances of insight happen are beyond description, but that's not meditation 'going well' but the result of many meditations happening in the past.

Looked at this way, the times when things don't seem to go well are important and 'right' too. You can't hit the ball right without a lot of hitting it wrong, just as you can't get meditation right without a lot of it not going 'well'. Looking back over thirty odd years of meditation I think that the important times were those when I just shrugged after a difficult meditation and carried on in the face of things continuing to be difficult.

“You do not need to leave your room. Remain sitting at your table and listen. Do not even listen, simply wait, be quiet, still and solitary. The world will freely offer itself to you to be unmasked, it has no choice, it will roll in ecstasy at your feet.” Franz Kafka

dharma bum

• Certified Zen Master (second degree black belt)
    • vipassana
Looked at this way, the times when things don't seem to go well are important and 'right' too. You can't hit the ball right without a lot of hitting it wrong, just as you can't get meditation right without a lot of it not going 'well'. Looking back over thirty odd years of meditation I think that the important times were those when I just shrugged after a difficult meditation and carried on in the face of things continuing to be difficult.

I believe this too. If we think of meditation as causing some rewiring of the brain in how the mind deals with desires and the non-fulfilment of desires, then the rewiring can only happens in times of distress.

However, moments of liberation don't last but their memory can help in knowing that the sense of liberation is possible. During such times, every breath is sweet, every second seems full of contentment, time slows down so you are actually aware of every second.
Mostly ignorant

eatyhappy2000

• Who are you?
    • N/A
The closest experience I have to your description is something that happened to me recently, I felt as though my sense of scale and location was thrown out the window, basically just really distorted. I can't explain it well but I felt like I was both big and small while having more than three dimensions all at the same time, it's odd. All I know is that it felt amazing and I stayed for approximately an hour in that state.

Hope this helps :)

mobius

• vipassana
At the start of my meditation practice, a few years ago, I had a few "experiences" wherein my mind went completely quiet, it completely relinquished all sense of control and it felt like free-falling through infinite empty space. It was incredibly blissful, but I soon realized that I was artificially creating these experiences by forcing the mind shut and also craving these experiences. Nonetheless, I wasn't seeing any improvements in my off-the-cushion life.

I have since realized that meditation done correctly, and if it goes well, has nothing to do with these fleeting experiences. It is all about insights you develop about the nature of mind, self, and its relationship with the rest of the world. It brings about a lightness of being in my off-the-cushion life. I'm smiling more often in situations that I would otherwise be tightly contracting against. Love, joy and connection become freely available to me all the time. That's when I know I'm doing it right.

This is very much like what I went through. I indulged in what seemed like life-altering pleasures (of sorts..).  At times I felt like I was being sucked down a black hole. Other times I felt like I was leaving my body. A few times it felt like I was Neo waking up from the Matrix for the first time.
But ultimately that was not where the answer lies.

One reason I know it's working (and I'm apparently doing something right) even if most of the time there seems to be no difference; I'm less angry than I used to be. Just the act of realizing anger is present is often enough. I'm admittedly an angry person (used to be worse) and used to spend whole days being grumpy. Now sometimes when I get angry I become aware of it and it just quickly, almost immediately melts away. I just realize how silly and pointless the anger is; it's not doing any good for me and it looses all it's power. My muscles loosen up (if they'd been tense). I'd not say things I'd regret etc..  :)
"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

stillpointdancer

• stillpointdancer
  • Retired teacher, deepening understanding of Dharma
    • Insight meditation
    • Exploring the results of 30 years of meditating
Hi dharma bum. I think the rewiring goes on every day, whether we meditate or not. It carries on during any kind of meditation. However, it makes sense that the breakthrough times have an effect on strengthening particular changes, and that the memory of them helps to bring about future changes as we carry on with our practice. 
“You do not need to leave your room. Remain sitting at your table and listen. Do not even listen, simply wait, be quiet, still and solitary. The world will freely offer itself to you to be unmasked, it has no choice, it will roll in ecstasy at your feet.” Franz Kafka

ItsBetterThanTV

• Who are you?
    • self taught
Thanks everyone these answers were educational, for me at my current state I feel that point of awareness, serene empty oneness, and a deeper happiness than natural happiness, also I notice my breathe in a way where I cant NOT notice it