Author Topic: Chi/Prana  (Read 542 times)

DogManStar

• Who are you?
    • Vipassana
Chi/Prana
« on: January 07, 2020, 03:18:47 PM »
Hello,

I have been meditating for 7 months. Over the past 3 or 4 months I have getting very strong sensations of energy moving across my face and insde my head and neck.   I have these sensations all the time, not just when I am meditating.  From what I have read on the internet I presume this is prana or chi.  Although these feelings are usually pleasurable they can be quite tiring when they feel like they are pressing into my head or pushing my head down into my neck.   The sensations get stronger everyday.

My question is, will I ever reach a point where these sensations begin to recede,  and if so how long does it take to reach this stage?

Dharmic Tui

• Something
    • Some Theravada, some secular
Re: Chi/Prana
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2020, 05:38:05 PM »
Hi Dogmanstar,

What you are describing is common and can subside although how long that takes is up to the individual. What sort of meditation are you doing? I would suggest calm abiding.

Cheers

DogManStar

• Who are you?
    • Vipassana
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2020, 10:57:11 PM »
I am just doing breath meditation.  Is that different to calm abiding?

Dharmic Tui

• Something
    • Some Theravada, some secular
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2020, 11:21:54 PM »
Check out the calm abiding instructions on the front page of the forum to see how that may differ from your practice.

stillpointdancer

• stillpointdancer
  • Retired teacher, deepening understanding of Dharma
    • Insight meditation
    • Exploring the results of 30 years of meditating
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2020, 10:56:49 AM »
Hello,

I have been meditating for 7 months. Over the past 3 or 4 months I have getting very strong sensations of energy moving across my face and insde my head and neck.   I have these sensations all the time, not just when I am meditating.  From what I have read on the internet I presume this is prana or chi.  Although these feelings are usually pleasurable they can be quite tiring when they feel like they are pressing into my head or pushing my head down into my neck.   The sensations get stronger everyday.

My question is, will I ever reach a point where these sensations begin to recede,  and if so how long does it take to reach this stage?

I've often been through periods where I seem to have too much energy while I meditate. My body jumps and twitches, sometimes violently. On occasions it has become so pleasurable that I have had to try hard to let it all go and calm down enough to carry on with the meditation. I developed a visualisation practice where the energy circulated throughout my body, finishing with it exiting through the top of my head as metta, and that seemed to work. These things used to last for a month or so, and were often balanced by times when I had no energy at all.
“You do not need to leave your room. Remain sitting at your table and listen. Do not even listen, simply wait, be quiet, still and solitary. The world will freely offer itself to you to be unmasked, it has no choice, it will roll in ecstasy at your feet.” Franz Kafka

DogManStar

• Who are you?
    • Vipassana
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2020, 09:50:19 PM »

Ok, so I tried some calm abiding today and I really liked it. 

I have tried doing metta in the past but it doesn't really feel like I am meditating.
Perhaps I don't have the concentration power for doing this yet?

It's also nice to just sit and watch the chi flow around my body.  Is beneficial to me though?

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Staff
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2020, 03:33:42 AM »
Feel the sensations created by the physical process of breathing. Breathe in sensitive to the entire body and breathe out sensitive to the entire body. Breathe in mindful of bodily fabrications and breathe out mindful of bodily fabrications. Breathe in calming bodily fabrications and breathe out calming bodily fabrications. When the mind wanders return gently to the sensations created by the breathing process.

Bodily fabrications would include chi as you label it. Any verbalised conception of sensation, any labeling is fabrication. Just follow the felt sensation and calm your body and mind as you breathe in and out.
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~