Author Topic: Is this how you do Samatha and Vipassana? It should not be stressful  (Read 371 times)

Thanisaro85

• Practising vipassana, to eliminate suffering.
    • Vipassana, wat amphawan Singburi, thailand

Watch 15.51 onward...

https://youtu.be/zJsqTtM9rvQ

A Mind Unshaken, when touches by worldy matter, sorrowless, secure and dustless, this is the ultimate great blessing~ Mangala Sutta

stillpointdancer

• stillpointdancer
  • Retired teacher, deepening understanding of Dharma
    • Insight meditation
    • Exploring the results of 30 years of meditating
Re: Is this how you do Samatha and Vipassana? It should not be stressful
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2019, 03:04:12 PM »
Now that's how to explain the path to enlightenment. Use the whole variety of meditation techniques in the knowledge of how they work together to come to terms with body and mind, to allow insight experiences to arise in the unforced way necessary for these things to work. Many thanks for the video, Thanisaro85
“You do not need to leave your room. Remain sitting at your table and listen. Do not even listen, simply wait, be quiet, still and solitary. The world will freely offer itself to you to be unmasked, it has no choice, it will roll in ecstasy at your feet.” Franz Kafka

Ben

• Who are you?
    • skepticism
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2019, 06:38:54 PM »
That analogy about ice-cream and children is really good. Simple, yet convincing.

Since I am here, I think I might have another, smaller unresolved issue about meditation - one that fits with the video above, about how the breath should be pleasant to watch:

In short, should the breath be watched as a physical feeling, as it is simply felt? Like, for example, the air breezing at the nosetips, the change of temperature within the nose during in- and exhaling, the belly expanding and contracting.

Or should it be watched as concept? Examples here are: Noting "in" while inhaling, noting "out" while exhaling, but also counting to ten with every breath and then counting back to one. Or counting to hundred instead.

Or doesn't it matter at all? Even a meditation teacher I asked said both would work.

Or is one method better for samatha and the other one better for vipassana? Sorry for not watching the whole video, I lack patience, but find it utterly fascinating that breath could be as enjoyable as ice-cream to children.

Dharmic Tui

• Something
    • Some Theravada, some secular
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2019, 08:06:40 PM »
Generally the breath is a focal point away from thinking as it is always present. The specifics of how you watch isn't so critical. You don't want to be trying to breathe in a certain way though, just breathe normally.

dharma bum

• Certified Zen Master (second degree black belt)
    • vipassana
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2019, 02:55:24 PM »
I found it very encouraging that he said

1. you can end suffering in this lifetime.
2. mindfulness in daily life is very important. This is aligned with my own experience.
Mostly ignorant

Thanisaro85

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2019, 03:43:23 AM »
That analogy about ice-cream and children is really good. Simple, yet convincing.

Since I am here, I think I might have another, smaller unresolved issue about meditation - one that fits with the video above, about how the breath should be pleasant to watch:

In short, should the breath be watched as a physical feeling, as it is simply felt? Like, for example, the air breezing at the nosetips, the change of temperature within the nose during in- and exhaling, the belly expanding and contracting.

Or should it be watched as concept? Examples here are: Noting "in" while inhaling, noting "out" while exhaling, but also counting to ten with every breath and then counting back to one. Or counting to hundred instead.

Or doesn't it matter at all? Even a meditation teacher I asked said both would work.

Or is one method better for samatha and the other one better for vipassana?

Take a deep breath now, u know it right? That's it.
The same for watching your breathe in and out, only thing is that you focus slightly more, that is focusing only at one point(nostril for instance)instead of the whole chest, if the breathe is longer, shorter, deeper, aware of it. The whole purpose of breathing observing, also known as anapanasati. Is to anchor the mind which run non stop, this can be use for training the mind to stay focus on one thing rather than restless.

Anapanasati can be use to strengthen the focusing, while to develeop vipassana, got to watch the 3 characteristics of the body and mind phenomenon, rising, passing and impermanence.

A Mind Unshaken, when touches by worldy matter, sorrowless, secure and dustless, this is the ultimate great blessing~ Mangala Sutta

Thanisaro85

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2019, 03:47:43 AM »
Now that's how to explain the path to enlightenment. Use the whole variety of meditation techniques in the knowledge of how they work together to come to terms with body and mind, to allow insight experiences to arise in the unforced way necessary for these things to work. Many thanks for the video, Thanisaro85

Am glad that members watch it, hope our members can get enlightened in this life with these fine tuning tips.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2019, 03:56:26 AM by Thanisaro85 »

Siddharth

• Staff
    • unlearning, relearning and letting go
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2019, 02:57:01 PM »
he really hit it home. I needed this. Thanks middleway!

And what is good, Phædrus,
And what is not good...
Need we ask anyone to tell us these things?

Middleway

• Staff
  • Just be a witness.
    • Vipassana as taught by Mr. Goenka - Switched to Shamatha
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2019, 11:18:16 PM »
Yes, this is a keeper. Thanks to Thanisaro85.
Take everything I say with a grain of salt.

mobius

• vipassana
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2019, 11:38:32 PM »
really nice! Indeed he explain things very well; simple and direct.

Out of curiosity; where is this and what language is he speaking?
« Last Edit: December 16, 2019, 11:42:59 PM by mobius »
"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain