Author Topic: Sharing personal Benfits of meditation  (Read 159 times)

raushan

• Staff
  • from India
    • S. N. Goenka switched to Samatha Forest Tradition
Sharing personal Benfits of meditation
« on: November 28, 2019, 11:14:12 PM »
Hi,

One thing I noticed that meditation helps me to deal with the high pressure.  Keeping the mind calm in the high pressure can be a great gift. Meditation helps to develop that. Even retreating just for 15 minutes from outer world to inner world immediately refreshes the mind. One can clearly see when mind is anxious it is not doing any productive work, And if one is able to see that then one can also make the mind calm.

Thanks
Raushan
« Last Edit: November 28, 2019, 11:30:50 PM by raushan »

Siddharth

• Staff
    • unlearning, relearning and letting go
Re: Sharing personal Benfits of meditation
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2019, 01:17:20 AM »
Hey raushan,
Neuroticism(one of the big 5 personality traits)  according to psychoanalytic research is negatively linked to happiness, satisfaction, income outcomes amongst other things.
One of the effects of meditation is to counter neuroticism in one's personality and thus it seems to help us in our day to day lives, hence its benefits in situations of pressure...like being able to watch with lesser reactions even when everything around is burning so as to say...

I am grappling more with the issue of seeing something in me which i recognize fully as something unwholesome, but being unable to act on it.
Though i have now resorted to a more piece meal approach and learned to be equanimous relatively to these things i see in myself, i am still craving to overcome limitations and become a so called better person in my own eyes, or reduce the self induced suffering from my life at this point of time...

Middleway advised me to see these limitations as teachers and allow them to take their time with me..which i found interesting.

With metta,
Siddharth
And what is good, Phædrus,
And what is not good...
Need we ask anyone to tell us these things?

raushan

• Staff
  • from India
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2019, 09:38:15 PM »
Hi Siddarth,

Yes it's true. I read once that researchers found that Buddhist monks in Tibet have smaller amygdala in their brain. This fact is available on wikipedia also. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amygdala#Memory_modulation
Amygdala basically controls the Fight-or-flight response in human, which is also associated with fear and anxiety. But yes it was not visible immediately.

Your approach is good. It really takes sometimes long time to really understand the problem. You might have to go to multiple cycle to truly understand and resolve it.

Middleway gives good advice though he is now less active on the forum.

Thanks
Raushan

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Staff
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2019, 11:00:12 PM »
One thing I noticed that meditation helps me to deal with the high pressure.  Keeping the mind calm in the high pressure can be a great gift. Meditation helps to develop that.

This is good to hear Raushan - I know you have struggled sometimes to find real benefits from meditation, and have continued to practice diligently, despite the doubts that inevitably arise. It is good to see that you are discovering the fruits of practice manifesting off the cushion - where they really matter.

Even retreating just for 15 minutes from outer world to inner world immediately refreshes the mind. One can clearly see when mind is anxious it is not doing any productive work, And if one is able to see that then one can also make the mind calm.

This is very true. I have often advised people to take short breaks if they are in a high pressure working situation and go to the bathroom. Just sit on the toilet for five or ten minutes and calm and centre the mind. Nobody is allowed to disturb you when you are in the bathroom.  When you return to working your efforts will be twice as productive.

Middleway advised me to see these limitations as teachers and allow them to take their time with me..which i found interesting.

This is great advice. Explore the nature of the limitations without pushing them - give them space to expose themselves to you.

I read once that researchers found that Buddhist monks in Tibet have smaller amygdala in their brain. This fact is available on wikipedia also.
Amygdala basically controls the Fight-or-flight response in human, which is also associated with fear and anxiety. But yes it was not visible immediately.

Again this is true - and a direct consequence of calming the body and mind. The calming of body precedes calming of the mind and sends a strong signal via the vagus nerve to the brain, including the Amygdala, that everything is OK. Continued practice reduces the fight/flight response and thus shrinks the Amygdala.

There are also strong connections between these systems and memory. Mindfulness and remembering are synonymous in the English language.

https://www.apa.org/monitor/apr04/vagus

There is a lot to this. Much to continue exploring through practice.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2019, 11:02:18 PM by Matthew »
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

stillpointdancer

• stillpointdancer
  • Retired teacher, deepening understanding of Dharma
    • Insight meditation
    • Exploring the results of 30 years of meditating
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2019, 11:21:51 AM »
Being able to remind yourself to be mindful in the midst of high pressure situations is a big step forward. It may be being mindful of how you are breathing, or where there is tension in your body, or how you are communicating at any given time. They are the best times to evaluate how your practice is working in the real world, and only take a few seconds when you can't take a break (as a teacher I was always in the classroom so could never take a break when I needed one).
“You do not need to leave your room. Remain sitting at your table and listen. Do not even listen, simply wait, be quiet, still and solitary. The world will freely offer itself to you to be unmasked, it has no choice, it will roll in ecstasy at your feet.” Franz Kafka

raushan

• Staff
  • from India
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2019, 07:58:13 PM »
Hi Matthew,

That's true. Something always keep me going. Either a podcast or article I read.

Hi spd,

That's true. Applying it in day to day life is the real progress. Didn't imagine that teaching could be so stressful.