Author Topic: bodyscan  (Read 473 times)

MarcT

• Who are you?
    • goenka
bodyscan
« on: November 21, 2019, 07:44:43 PM »
Hello Guys,

I am looking for bodyscan instructions like they are taught by Goenka. Can I find here links or downloads? thank you for your help.
Greetings Marc

MarcT

• Who are you?
    • goenka
Re: bodyscan
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2019, 05:01:28 PM »
As I haven't got any response I will pose my question differently.
I haven't practising for a while the bodyscan. therefore I would like to be guided. Can anyone help me?

Thanks
Regards Marc

dharma bum

• Certified Zen Master (second degree black belt)
    • vipassana
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2019, 01:45:02 AM »
Hi Marc,

Have you tried youtube?

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=goenka+vipassana+english+instruction

Sorry, I havent seen any of the videos and can't say exactly which one would work.
Mostly ignorant

Thanisaro85

• When thoughts, sensations, feelings arise,know it
    • Reverend father Jaran, Pramote. Theravada
    • Still breathing.
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2019, 03:17:35 AM »
Hi Marc,

I am not sure how body scan work.

But basically this is what you can do.

1. Start with focusing on your nostril, watching the breathe in and out, that is to train the strength of the focusing. Tranquility can be achieve in this, also called a single pointed meditation.

2. While your senses already focus inward( still paying attention to the breath in and out), be aware of any thoughts, sensations and feelings that arised, and how your mind react to it, but let it go. This may be the body scan i see people mentioning.

During the sit,
If you feel breathless, acknowledging by saying(mentally) "breathless" and let it go.
If you feel agitated, acknowledging by saying(mentally) "agitated" and let it go.
If you feel restless, acknowledging by saying(mentally) "restless" and let it go.
If you feel cannot concentrated, acknowledging by saying(mentally) "cannot concentrate" and let it go ....
The list go on.....each acknowledging may be repetitive.

Serious pain, numb and itch can be do away too...
Focus gently at the area of the pain, saying( mentally) "pain" repeatedly until the pain vanished into a white cloud( individual may have different experiences). This is call segregating the name and the form. Do it too intensely one may have headache....
A Mind Unshaken, when touches by worldy matter, sorrowless, secure and dustless, this is the ultimate great blessing~ Mangala Sutta

raushan

• Staff
  • from India
    • S. N. Goenka switched to Samatha Forest Tradition
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2019, 08:10:36 PM »
The user Laurent has posted earlier the instructions related to Goenka Vipassana on some threads. I am sure you should be able to find it if you search with proper keywords. Also search by user name.

MarcT

• Who are you?
    • goenka
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2019, 09:32:19 AM »
Yes I looked through Youtube already but I couldn't find a video where Goenka is really guiding through the different parts of the body.

regarding user Laurent I wasn't able to find something.

Thanks for your help guys.

dharma bum

• Certified Zen Master (second degree black belt)
    • vipassana
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2019, 03:09:15 PM »
From what I recollect, you start from the top of your head, forehead, eyes, ears, neck etc, slowly make your way down, and then make your way back to the top again. You note if it's gross/subtle. If you don't find sensations, try and keep moving your attention after some time. All the while, stay detached.

Sorry if this is useless. :)
Mostly ignorant

georg7887

• Something in between
    • Vipassana - Phra Ajarn Tong Sirimangalo Lineage
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2019, 03:30:10 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3jY8rwPf4Y

Here is a guided body sweeping meditation, which I've heard is quite similar to goenka, because it's a technique taught by Sayagyi U Ba Khin, who was the "teacher" of goenka. I don't know the exact differences between Goenka and Sayagyi U Ba Khin in their teachings, but maybe there is someone here in this forum, who knows more about it.

raushan

• Staff
  • from India
    • S. N. Goenka switched to Samatha Forest Tradition
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2019, 08:59:21 PM »
https://www.vipassanaforum.net/forum/index.php?topic=3199.msg32952#msg32952

Check the answer by user Vishal. I think he has explained well.

MarcT

• Who are you?
    • goenka
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2019, 07:36:22 AM »
This video was the kind I was looking for. 

Thanks to all for your input. Help is never in vain  :)

Regards Marc