Author Topic: drinking water  (Read 204 times)

Ottercreek

• less is more
    • Vipassana, Zen, Chan
drinking water
« on: November 12, 2019, 12:06:14 PM »
I just read Matthew's hint on the importance of keeping well hydrated to avoid sleep problems. Happy to read that, I find I feel much better in all respects when I drink enough water (I just stupidly tend to "forget" and be influenced by people around me who drink no water- what a shame!).

It just reminds me of an instruction on some meditation retreats (I'm not sure which, but I'd say I've heard it more than once): not to drink too much water, or actually to drink very little. It puzzled me very much. I can understand, sleep less than usual, I find it can be helpful (although if you arrive at retreat already in a state of sleep deprivation, burned out like most people are nowadays... it's probably more harmful!!!). But I can't see or imagine any advantage in dehydrating youself. Anyone has an idea about that?

dharma bum

• Certified Zen Master (second degree black belt)
    • vipassana
Re: drinking water
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2019, 04:09:17 PM »
Well, if you drink too much water, you have to get up in the night for a bathroom visit.
Mostly ignorant

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Staff
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2019, 05:35:34 PM »
Too much of anything is excessive dharma bum ;)

I've never heard of retreats telling people to refrain from drinking water ottercreek - that's news to me.
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

Ottercreek

• less is more
    • Vipassana, Zen, Chan
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2019, 11:56:32 AM »
Oh well, good to know it's not a common instruction  :)  It was probably at a Chan retreat, inspired by some chinese theory lol...