Author Topic: Learning Vipassana  (Read 220 times)

efeatherly1

• Who are you?
    • Vipassana
Learning Vipassana
« on: November 11, 2019, 07:14:39 AM »
Does learning Vipassana meditation need to be as intensive as a 10-day retreat? I'd like to try this meditation but not via a retreat. If one were to meditate the same number of hours (10-11 hours) between each of the S.N. Goenka Discourses, over a longer number of days while meditating 2-3 hours/day, would this be effective? I've  practiced TM meditation for years and very recently discovered Vipassana. I'm working through Day 7 using the above method. I'd very much appreciate thoughts, suggestions and input.

stillpointdancer

• stillpointdancer
  • Retired teacher, deepening understanding of Dharma
    • Insight meditation
    • Exploring the results of 30 years of meditating
Re: Learning Vipassana
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2019, 10:34:06 AM »
You could learn vipassana in a few minutes, but a structured programme takes longer. It depends whether you are talking about the act of meditating or how long it would take to 'work'. I suspect that real change is much more gradual, that it would be far better to view a timescale of a few years rather than a few days. Of course, you don't need such intense meditation with a bigger timescale, say an hour every few days. Regular meditation fitted into your lifestyle rather than on a retreat.
“You do not need to leave your room. Remain sitting at your table and listen. Do not even listen, simply wait, be quiet, still and solitary. The world will freely offer itself to you to be unmasked, it has no choice, it will roll in ecstasy at your feet.” Franz Kafka

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Staff
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2019, 02:43:09 PM »
You can't "learn Vipassana". Vipassana is not a meditation technique, though I realise many people sell it as such.

So what is Vipassana? Vipasana is insight, seeing things as they really are, seeing into things, eventually seeing that everything is impermanent, unsatisfactory and selfless.

Vipassana is a quality of being, not a technique. It is wholesome to develop this quality: it makes you less likely to act from ignorance.

The development of Vipassana goes hand-in-hand with the development of Shamatha/tranquillity. A tranquil mind is one that can be pointed towards the development of insight (Vipassana). Both qualities build on each other in a kind of "bootstrapping" process. Right mindfulness (Sati) is development of both to the fullest potential.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2019, 02:46:25 PM by Matthew »
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

efeatherly1

• Who are you?
    • Vipassana
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2019, 04:36:27 PM »
Thank you for your replies. If I'm understanding then, a person can develop the quality of Vipassana within their own schedule using the discourses of Goenka as a guide. Is the development of tranquility within Vipassana?

raushan

• Staff
  • from India
    • S. N. Goenka switched to Samatha Forest Tradition
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2019, 05:06:27 PM »
Hi efeatherly1,

You can start the meditation by following the meditation technique given on the home page of this forum. Do it for few months and you will see the change. You can watch discourse by Goenka or other Buddhist monk. But until you practice the meditation watching just discourse won't help you.

And No it's not mandatory requirement to attending the retreat. While it can certainly help you but you can start your own.

Thanks
Raushan

Matthew

• Staff
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2019, 05:22:17 PM »
Thank you for your replies. If I'm understanding then, a person can develop the quality of Vipassana within their own schedule using the discourses of Goenka as a guide. Is the development of tranquility within Vipassana?

1/ Your best guide is your own level of qualities of tranquillity, insight, compassion, mindfulness. Develop these through experience.

2/ Development of insight/Vipassana is grounded in development of tranquillity/Shamatha and mindfulness/Sati.

This is why everyone making money (or personality cult) from teaching "Vipassana" is, on one level or another, bullshitting you.
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

efeatherly1

• Who are you?
    • Vipassana
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2019, 05:56:26 PM »
I'm seeking confirmation on my understanding of the forum's Shamatha instructions of:
Breathe in paying attention to bodily sensations as you breathe and calming the body as you breathe. pay attention to the sensations in the body as you breathe.
The core of the practice is breathing and relaxing.

Is Shamatha concentration on a single point.

What is that single point? The sensations? Aware of when I'm breathing in and out?, the calming and letting go?
I'll try to answer my own question and say is it keeping my awareness on whole body sensations, maintaining calm. The breathing facilitates this. But I'm not always aware of in/out breath. At times I'll breath more deeply to be sure I'm awake.

My whole body seems to buzz, with sensations of specific location rising and falling. I note these and return to expand awareness to whole body sensations.   

I sit for an hour 2x/day. I get antsy to get up, but note that emotion as part of the experience, remaining calm and in the moment of sensations when it tries to pull me.
Do I have the idea?  Thank you for guidance!

Matthew

• Staff
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2019, 06:19:54 PM »
I'm seeking confirmation on my understanding of the forum's Shamatha instructions of:
Breathe in paying attention to bodily sensations as you breathe and calming the body as you breathe. pay attention to the sensations in the body as you breathe.
The core of the practice is breathing and relaxing.

The next bit is important:

Notes: Do not intellectualise where you pay attention to or try to "follow the path of the breath in the body" or any other such thing - these are fabrications. Pay attention to the actual sensations in your body, wherever they are. Do not interfere with the natural breathing pattern, just pay attention to the sensations in the body as you breathe.

Emphasis added

Is Shamatha concentration on a single point.

What is that single point?

No it is not. Whole body awareness.

The sensations?

Aware of when I'm breathing in and out?, the calming and letting go?

Yes - all of the above.

I'll try to answer my own question and say is it keeping my awareness on whole body sensations, maintaining calm. The breathing facilitates this. But I'm not always aware of in/out breath. At times I'll breath more deeply to be sure I'm awake.

This is a good understanding yes - one point, not just "maintaining calm": developing calm/relaxation.

My whole body seems to buzz, with sensations of specific location rising and falling. I note these and return to expand awareness to whole body sensations.

Yes! You have liberated your awareness from single point focus ... it will make you aware of the whole body, something that single-point awareness suppresses. The "buzz" you refer to may well be a release from your previous technique. This will subside/become more subtle as you continue your practice.

I sit for an hour 2x/day. I get antsy to get up, but note that emotion as part of the experience, remaining calm and in the moment of sensations when it tries to pull me.
Do I have the idea?  Thank you for guidance!

You are doing really well. You do have a good grasp of the technique.

efeatherly1

• Who are you?
    • Vipassana
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2019, 12:36:19 AM »
Well, Ya-hoo! Onward and forward! Thank you!