Author Topic: New to meditation, and scary things are going on  (Read 53 times)

Mahomet

• Who are you?
    • Individual
New to meditation, and scary things are going on
« on: November 07, 2019, 07:39:38 PM »
I started meditation for the first time and scary things are going on, has anyone had similar experience who can share his/her story

I experienced strange muscle contractions in my face and contortions, resulted in extreme smiles that aren’t really smiles (i wasn’t smiling) but more like a smirk or grin face that I can’t control, my head turned extreme to either directions more than i could do in normal day to day life, my mouth and eyes are contracted that can more be described like a possessed person!. Now i reached to that point where i feel so scared and that something is going wrong, I don’t know if this was just a reaction to my Inner emotions or if it’s really something going bad.

i meditated very few times roughly 5-6 for shortest 10 minutes and longest was 50 minutes. I should note that i really felt relaxed after the first 2 times, but proceeding with more meditation the next days turned into scary experiences.
And now i feel lonely that i just want to leave the house even when there is no reason to leave, i just want to stay out around people in streets. Its all strange what’s happening

lastly, i want to mention that day when i was sitting between people and suddenly zoned out to find myself about to get into a meditating mood, i just woke my self up before drifting away with it.

Please advise
« Last Edit: November 07, 2019, 07:41:11 PM by Mahomet »

dhammaseeker

• Who are you?
    • Vipassana (Goenka)
Re: New to meditation, and scary things are going on
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2019, 09:33:40 PM »
Hey Mahomet!

Doesn't sound too healthy. I strongly advise you to meditate under proper guidance with a qualified teacher. For now, take a break. Do some research on different meditation traditions and see which retreat is convenient for you to try out.

Do some activity that you normally enjoy and helps you to chill out. Get your mind away from that scary experience. You need to get involved with a meditation tradition that suits you. Where you will get the guidance you need. I do not advise you to continue meditation unsupervised.

Take care!