Author Topic: early progress  (Read 258 times)

BigTLabbe

• Who are you?
    • Insight, zazen
early progress
« on: October 23, 2019, 12:31:25 AM »
So I haven't been meditating very long but finally feel like I'm starting to notice the first real progress I've felt I've had.

Not long after i first started meditating regularly i started to become aware of my mind and it seemed hyper-consciously aware of thoughts, feelings and stimuli in an almost frantic sort of way. Sort of like i was aware of things but in an unbalanced way. almost as if i was saying to myself "look, i told you i could do this."

That went on for a while until recently, after a period of a couple days of being frustrated with the practice, I noticed a more patient part of my mind emerging and it seemed more balanced. It seems like I might simply be getting over the novelty of meditating and on my way to a more sound practice.

I'd love any advice or maybe suggestions for a 1 day retreat schedule.

Thanks,
Tony

stillpointdancer

• stillpointdancer
  • Retired teacher, deepening understanding of Dharma
    • Insight meditation
    • Exploring the results of 30 years of meditating
Re: early progress
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2019, 01:42:10 PM »
Meditation has an effect on the mind, so things happen when you meditate.
“You do not need to leave your room. Remain sitting at your table and listen. Do not even listen, simply wait, be quiet, still and solitary. The world will freely offer itself to you to be unmasked, it has no choice, it will roll in ecstasy at your feet.” Franz Kafka

dharma bum

• Certified Zen Master (second degree black belt)
    • vipassana
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2019, 09:17:15 PM »

Mr Goenka's organization (dhamma.org) uses the following schedule on their 10-day retreats. it might be a bit too intense - I think maybe a couple of 30-45 minute sessions each in the morning, afternoon and evenings might be a good beginning.

4:00 am   Morning wake-up bell
4:30 – 6:30 am   Meditate in the hall or in your room
6:30 – 8:00 am   Breakfast break
8:00 – 9:00 am   Group meditation in the hall
9:00 – 11:00 am   Meditate in the hall or in your room according to the teacher’s instructions
11:00 am – 12:00 pm   Lunch break
12 pm – 1:00 pm   Rest and interviews with the teacher
1:00 – 2:30 pm   Meditate in the hall or in your room
2:30 – 3:30 pm   Group meditation in the hall
3:30 – 5:00 pm   Meditate in the hall or in your own room according to the teacher’s instructions
5:00 – 6:00 pm   Tea break
6:00 – 7:00 pm   Group meditation in the hall
7:00 – 8:15 pm   Teacher’s Discourse in the hall
8:15 – 9:00 pm   Group meditation in the hall
9:00 – 9:30 pm   Question time in the hall
9:30 pm   Retire to your own room — Lights out
Mostly ignorant

stillpointdancer

• stillpointdancer
    • Insight meditation
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2019, 11:36:04 AM »

Mr Goenka's organization (dhamma.org) uses the following schedule on their 10-day retreats. it might be a bit too intense - I think maybe a couple of 30-45 minute sessions each in the morning, afternoon and evenings might be a good beginning.

9:00 – 11:00 am   Meditate in the hall or in your room according to the teacher’s instructions
3:30 – 5:00 pm   Meditate in the hall or in your own room according to the teacher’s instructions

Reads like other guided retreats, but that first one seems rather harsh  ;)
“You do not need to leave your room. Remain sitting at your table and listen. Do not even listen, simply wait, be quiet, still and solitary. The world will freely offer itself to you to be unmasked, it has no choice, it will roll in ecstasy at your feet.” Franz Kafka

dharma bum

• vipassana
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2019, 09:43:34 PM »
spd, I find that when I'm by myself, even a couple of sessions can be very daunting :).
Mostly ignorant

stillpointdancer

• stillpointdancer
    • Insight meditation
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2019, 11:41:44 AM »
spd, I find that when I'm by myself, even a couple of sessions can be very daunting :).

A small group of us used to do double meditations at the Buddhist Centre while the others did one meditation followed by a guided discussion. Most people thought we were strange to want to do so much meditating, and this from people who had been going there for years. I guess most of my by-myself meditation was of a morning during school holidays (I used to be a teacher). My wife would sleep in late so I'd get up early to get in a few hours of meditation. For longer holidays such as the summer I would plan a programme of study meditation, mixing studying (some aspect of Buddhism) and meditation, letting the ideas percolate somewhat and then going back to them. Talking of percolating, I think coffee made it a bit less daunting, sipped as and when (apologies to Buddhists who don't like such stimulants).

dharma bum

• vipassana
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2019, 08:43:58 PM »
Talking of percolating, I think coffee made it a bit less daunting, sipped as and when (apologies to Buddhists who don't like such stimulants).

If I ever get enlightened, the last thing to go will be my attachment to tea. :)
Mostly ignorant

BigTLabbe

• Who are you?
    • Insight, zazen
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2019, 12:13:59 PM »

thats is an intense schedule, not too long ago i did 6 half hour sessions in a day almost like you mentioned in the header and found it helpful.. not sure how i'd fare with the full schedule there, that's one long day.

BigTLabbe

• Who are you?
    • Insight, zazen
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2019, 12:22:14 PM »

A small group of us used to do double meditations at the Buddhist Centre while the others did one meditation followed by a guided discussion. Most people thought we were strange to want to do so much meditating, and this from people who had been going there for years. I guess most of my by-myself meditation was of a morning during school holidays (I used to be a teacher). My wife would sleep in late so I'd get up early to get in a few hours of meditation. For longer holidays such as the summer I would plan a programme of study meditation, mixing studying (some aspect of Buddhism) and meditation, letting the ideas percolate somewhat and then going back to them. Talking of percolating, I think coffee made it a bit less daunting, sipped as and when (apologies to Buddhists who don't like such stimulants).

i agree sometimes it's tough for me to sit down and meditate i feel like it's even tougher now that i feel like i'm progressing a little, it seems like the past week or so one session a day is plenty. I don't have a teacher but i find it helpful to watch lectures on youtube by people like guan cheng or adyashanti.