Author Topic: Practicing Shamatha-Vipassana in Goenka retreat  (Read 309 times)

yonski3

• Who are you?
    • vipassana
Practicing Shamatha-Vipassana in Goenka retreat
« on: July 30, 2019, 04:54:05 AM »
Hello all

I learned the Goenka style of Vipassana  many years ago and been practicing it on and off since then. recently I discovered on this site the Shamatha Vipassana way and it clicked with me. I been practicing it since then and I wish to continue doing so.

Now I would like to go for a short retreat as I have some time on my hands but there are no places that offer Shamatha Vipassana retreats around here. my only option is to go to a Goenka retreat center.

Do you think it's a good or bad idea to go to s Goenka retreat and basically ignore their Vipassana instruction and just practise Shamatha?

Would love to get your views about it.

Also another thing, I use to love the Goenka discourses, do you think they are still valid for the Shamatha way?

with Metta

dharma bum

• Certified Zen Master (second degree black belt)
    • vipassana
Re: Practicing Shamatha-Vipassana in Goenka retreat
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2019, 07:21:35 PM »
They make you promise to use only Vipassana and no other technique. If you can live with that then I don't see why it would be bad. I myself haven't kept all my promises. One time, I kept a notebook to take notes, for example.

I can't say much about Mr Goenka's discourses. Sometimes I find a contradiction between what Goenka says and what some other people. For example, Goenka says "man ko vash mein karo" which to me translates to "Try to control your mind". Some others say "Don't try to control your mind."

I don't know if intuitively they mean the same thing. I don't know if concentration and focus is all that important in Shamata meditation.
Mostly ignorant

stillpointdancer

• stillpointdancer
  • Retired teacher, deepening understanding of Dharma
    • Insight meditation
    • Exploring the results of 30 years of meditating
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2019, 09:44:03 AM »
Hello all

Do you think it's a good or bad idea to go to s Goenka retreat and basically ignore their Vipassana instruction and just practise Shamatha?
Would love to get your views about it.
Also another thing, I use to love the Goenka discourses, do you think they are still valid for the Shamatha way?

with Metta
I always mix the two, Shamatha first (say, mindfulness of breathing) followed by Vipassana after the mind has calmed down somewhat. Since nobody can see into your mind you can do what you like. I used to go my own way most of the time at the Buddhist centre, unless there was a guided meditation or Puja.
“You do not need to leave your room. Remain sitting at your table and listen. Do not even listen, simply wait, be quiet, still and solitary. The world will freely offer itself to you to be unmasked, it has no choice, it will roll in ecstasy at your feet.” Franz Kafka

VipassanaXYZ

• Write something about yourself here
    • Goenka
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2019, 05:59:18 PM »
When you go to practice at a place dedicated exclusively for a certain practice, with many people doing the practise, you will create a silent conflict for yourself, and for others. Knowingly or unknowingly.

There are audio instructions everyday, quite loud and comprehensive. Hard to ignore basically.

Any meditation practice starts with basics, you are searching for true reality, truth that would free you.

Why create this stress?

Look into why you wish to go to a Goenka centre?

I would suggest going to a Goenka centre and follow the instructions, the discipline with truth and dedication!