Author Topic: Hello, I am new to meditation.  (Read 395 times)

LECHISY2008

• Who are you?
    • practice
Hello, I am new to meditation.
« on: July 16, 2019, 01:54:35 AM »
Hello everyone,

I have been doing meditation for almost 6 months now.  I do not know whether I have been breathing correctly or not.  I am not sure whether to exhale through your nose or your mouth?  Some people said to breathe naturally so I just use my nose to breathe.  However, breathing in and out through the nose is shallow and short.  Inhaling through the nose and exhaling out by the mouth is deeper and longer but feel less natural.   Thank you for your inputs.

stillpointdancer

• stillpointdancer
  • Retired teacher, deepening understanding of Dharma
    • Insight meditation
    • Exploring the results of 30 years of meditating
Re: Hello, I am new to meditation.
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2019, 09:53:33 AM »
It depends what you are trying to do. There are all kinds of breathing exercises, each changing the meditation to larger or lesser degrees. Not only that but where you breath from, chest or diaphragm, brings change too. Nowadays I usually breath through the nose after starting with consciously breathing deeply for a few minutes to refresh the air in my lungs. If I become conscious of my breathing becoming too shallow I either repeat the deep breathing or, as you say, try nose and mouth breathing for a while.
“You do not need to leave your room. Remain sitting at your table and listen. Do not even listen, simply wait, be quiet, still and solitary. The world will freely offer itself to you to be unmasked, it has no choice, it will roll in ecstasy at your feet.” Franz Kafka

LECHISY2008

• Who are you?
    • practice
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2019, 03:15:40 PM »
Thank you so much Stillpointdancer!

chin

• Goenka
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2019, 10:19:29 AM »
If it's Vipassana (or its precursor, Anapana) you want to practice, then the idea is to just observe the breath as it comes and goes naturally. You may notice that as soon as you start observing the breath, it changes - it becomes longer or shorter, lighter or heavier, ... If this happens, just observe that it has happened and try and notice the inner mechanism that causes it to happen.

As for breathing through the nose or mouth, I don't recall if any specific instruction is stated about this. But I would say just go with whatever happens naturally.

VipassanaXYZ

• Write something about yourself here
    • Goenka
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2019, 05:14:29 PM »
Breathe in and out through the nose only.

If you look at any traditional Indian methods, ranging from yoga to other forms of developing insight, correct breathing is through the nose only.

Breathing through the mouth is an indication of blockages and less energy, develop a daily routine-sleep early and wake up early, exercise and nourish the body with good fresh food.

Breathing through the nose might look difficult, but it is like keeping a straight back, helps to develop this habit for long-term progress.

Be well!