Author Topic: Back cracking while inhaling during meditation  (Read 73 times)

Chaska

• Practicing vipassana meditation 🧘🏼‍♀️
    • Vipassana as taught by S.N. Goenka
Back cracking while inhaling during meditation
« on: July 10, 2019, 11:48:51 AM »
It might seems like a weird question.
But who knows maybe it happens to some of you.

Since 2018 every time I do my 1hour sitting my upper back is « cracking every time I inhale. And then it keeps cracking during the day and at night at the same spot (probably more than 100 times a day). I went to doctor, osteopath etc.. but they don’t have answers, it is so small it’s a tiny crack deep near the spinal cord.

It is difficult to meditate with it sometimes because it distracts me (when I am doing the Vipassana part by part technique) as most of the time I inhale it does crack and it tends to keep my attention to the sensations near by.

Any advice? Or similar experiences in the past?

Thanks for you help and metta 🙏🏼
My life is a stepping stone for something bigger

Goofaholix

• Write something about yourself here
    • Theravada / Insight Meditation
Re: Back cracking while inhaling during meditation
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2019, 02:08:55 AM »
I assume what you are saying is that it is making a small cracking sound as the bones move as you breath in and out.

Can you feel a sensation?  If not you should investigate the area to see what you can feel.

Do you hear this sound when you go about your daily activities?  If not there are probably two possibilities either it's been happening for a long time but it's too subtle for you to notice until you started meditating, or when you meditate you are tensing up or forcing the breathing causing the sound.

Either way this is an interesting experience to investigate, can you become more aware and relaxed around it, are you tensing up and making it worse etc

stillpointdancer

• stillpointdancer
  • Retired teacher, deepening understanding of Dharma
    • Insight meditation
    • Exploring the results of 30 years of meditating
Re: Back cracking while inhaling during meditation
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2019, 11:24:05 AM »
It might seems like a weird question.
But who knows maybe it happens to some of you.

Since 2018 every time I do my 1hour sitting my upper back is « cracking every time I inhale. And then it keeps cracking during the day and at night at the same spot (probably more than 100 times a day). I went to doctor, osteopath etc.. but they don’t have answers, it is so small it’s a tiny crack deep near the spinal cord.

It is difficult to meditate with it sometimes because it distracts me (when I am doing the Vipassana part by part technique) as most of the time I inhale it does crack and it tends to keep my attention to the sensations near by.

Any advice? Or similar experiences in the past?

Thanks for you help and metta 🙏🏼

Happened to me and went to chiropractor who said that my spine was misaligned and who straightened it for me, and the noise stopped. Mind you, I haven't been since then as I heard a lot of horror stories about what damage these people can do.
“You do not need to leave your room. Remain sitting at your table and listen. Do not even listen, simply wait, be quiet, still and solitary. The world will freely offer itself to you to be unmasked, it has no choice, it will roll in ecstasy at your feet.” Franz Kafka