Author Topic: Dark night got me spooked  (Read 335 times)

Travis_Says_Hi

• Who are you?
    • Theravada
Dark night got me spooked
« on: July 05, 2019, 08:59:25 PM »
I was doing some Mahasi-style noting yesterday when all of a sudden I had intense clarity and super strong focus (A&P). Then a few moments later I desperately wanted to stop meditating. It’s a difficult feeling to describe, but it was a strong aversion to sitting. I also couldn’t seem to focus on anything. Things were happening, but I couldn’t place my focus on it. Definitely Dark Night stuff. Just interesting to note.

Now that I know what the A&P feels like, I find myself trying too hard to achieve it, thus not achieving it. It’s a paradox

Nicky

• Pali
Re: Dark night got me spooked
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2019, 01:18:42 PM »
Since you are interest in Dark Night or Christian Mysticism, have you considered joining Christianity? Jesus loves you. God loved the world that he gave his only Son to die that whosoever believeth on him should not perish but have eternal life. Btw, what does A&P mean? Andrew & Peter? Thanks. Amen  :D

As for your attempt at Buddhist meditation, it seems your mind generated fear due to imminent loss/reduction of self. :o

Mert

• None
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2019, 02:17:38 PM »
Now that I know what the A&P feels like, I find myself trying too hard to achieve it, thus not achieving it. It’s a paradox

What you're attempting is Samatha Jhana. You can acquire Samatha Jhana momentarily but what helps you keep that equanimity is through Vipassana Jhanas.

mobius

• shamatha
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2019, 04:37:15 PM »
I too would like to know what A &P stands for.  And exactly what kind of noting (im not familiar with this type of meditation)
Are your eyes closed or open? What exactly were you focused on? Were you still able to note during this time? Did you feel like your internal voice was waining or absent?
Do you notice any feelings afterwards? When your not meditating? Hours or days later?
"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

"If you learn to laugh at your own stupidity, all your crap will turn into manure very fast. And manure is good for growth." -Sadhguru

Mert

• None
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2019, 06:03:11 PM »
A&P stands for "Arising & Passing Away". Further reading for those interested below.

https://www.dhammatalks.org/Archive/Writings/CrossIndexed/Published/ePublish_talks_3/080825_Arising_&_Passing_Away.pdf

mobius

• shamatha
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2019, 06:50:00 PM »
Thanks for the link. :)
Btw, just in case it wasn't clear, my other questions were for Travis, not directly about A&P
"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

"If you learn to laugh at your own stupidity, all your crap will turn into manure very fast. And manure is good for growth." -Sadhguru

Quardamon

• Teachers were: P.K.K. Mettavihari, Frits Koster, Nel Kliphuis. (In the line of Mahasi Sayadaw)
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2019, 12:31:34 PM »
Hello Travis,
You speak of Arising & Passing Away, and you speak of a strong aversion. It is unclear to me, whether you are aware that the first should bring the last (sooner or later). According to Mahassi Sayadaw, after one experienced Arising & Passing Away, one should later meet with Knowledge of Misery, and with Knowledge of Disgust.
You could look it up here:
http://www.saraniya.com/books/mahasi-sayadaw/pdf/mahasi_sayadaw-1944_progress_of_insight.pdf
A certain meditation method puts one on a certain path. So it is good to have knowledge of that path, anyway.
Cheers.