Author Topic: Noting whilst painting  (Read 179 times)

ASkelton

• Who are you?
    • Mahāsi Sayadaw
Noting whilst painting
« on: June 28, 2019, 09:15:30 AM »
Hello everyone, I hope you are happy and well and thank you for reading my question.

I have recently just started to note during meditation and general daily activities and I am enjoying the struggle. What I struggle with most is getting too hung up on what exact word I should use to note a specific activity. I am an artist and spend my spare time painting. My question is; how could I note during painting? Could I just note ‘painting’ or maybe note ‘mixing’ when I am mixing ‘dipping when I am
Dipping or ‘brushing’ when I am brushing?

Thank you very much.

stillpointdancer

• stillpointdancer
  • Retired teacher, deepening understanding of Dharma
    • Insight meditation
    • Exploring the results of 30 years of meditating
Re: Noting whilst painting
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2019, 10:58:00 AM »
Never heard of this. Sounds interesting, but raises a lot of questions in my mind. Do you mean you label an activity as you do it? Isn't that doing an extra something rather than just being in the moment?
“You do not need to leave your room. Remain sitting at your table and listen. Do not even listen, simply wait, be quiet, still and solitary. The world will freely offer itself to you to be unmasked, it has no choice, it will roll in ecstasy at your feet.” Franz Kafka

ASkelton

• Who are you?
    • Mahāsi Sayadaw
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2019, 01:14:23 PM »
Hello Stillpointdancer thank you for reading my question and asking me about my practice.

As you mentioned, I do indeed label an activity as I do them, or a particular movement, bodily sensation, sight or sound etc, whatever arises at the six sense doors. It would sound as if my labelling/ noting would take away from the experience but it feels more like a note frames and compliments what I am experiencing and allows me to put it under a magnifying glass for closer examination! I think there is a fine balance between making sure you note with intent but not paying too much attention to the noting itself and letting it take away from the experience. 😊

Dharmic Tui

• Something
    • Some Theravada, some secular
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2019, 08:07:21 PM »
The intentional noting helps train your mind to be more conscious of whatever it is you are doing. Over time you should be more in tune with what you are doing and not need to note it.

I'm a painter (of buildings not pictures) and I'm happier than a pig in shit to be immersed in the process.

Goofaholix

• Write something about yourself here
    • Theravada / Insight Meditation
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2019, 06:04:39 AM »
Noting is mainly about what is being experienced through the six sense doors, so seeing, smelling, touching, tasting, hearing, and thinking.  One or more of these will be happening at any one time and that is all you really need to note, just those six words are enough.  Especially when you are working on quite a technical activity like painting, you don't need to note each movement in a very detailed way like you would  on retreat.

It's also useful to note in more detail when you get caught up in thought or emotion, things like.. frustration, impatience, longing etc.

stillpointdancer

• stillpointdancer
  • Retired teacher, deepening understanding of Dharma
    • Insight meditation
    • Exploring the results of 30 years of meditating
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2019, 09:54:39 AM »
Thanks guys. So is it part of a training process, to be more aware of the moment, or an end point, that this is how we maintain awareness?
“You do not need to leave your room. Remain sitting at your table and listen. Do not even listen, simply wait, be quiet, still and solitary. The world will freely offer itself to you to be unmasked, it has no choice, it will roll in ecstasy at your feet.” Franz Kafka

Goofaholix

• Write something about yourself here
    • Theravada / Insight Meditation
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2019, 08:36:06 PM »
Thanks guys. So is it part of a training process, to be more aware of the moment, or an end point, that this is how we maintain awareness?

Yes, this is Mahasi Sayadaw technique.  Noting is merely a more structured support for mindfulness, it's just mentally acknowledging what is happening moment to moment.  Labeling (using words in the mind) is often used together with noting to help get it going but this can easily become clunky and one can get caught up with the words.

This is best done in retreat conditions, I wouldn't recommend it in daily practice where are looser more intuitive mindfulness works better.

dharma bum

• Certified Zen Master (second degree black belt)
    • vipassana
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2019, 03:49:10 AM »
I paint too and am occasionally mindful. But it's more of awareness of the rhythms of breathing, the touch of the brush in my hand, the pressure on my fingers as I mix colours or put colour on the canvas. I've tried the labeling thing before after reading about it somewhere. It doesn't work for me.
Mostly ignorant