Author Topic: Remembering Dreams  (Read 101 times)

mobius

• shamatha
Remembering Dreams
« on: June 27, 2019, 02:21:10 AM »
Since I began meditating I've started to remember my dreams a lot more often. Not only that but often times, maybe once per day or more often I will randomly think of an image, thought or feeling of a dream from years ago; sometimes dreams so old from when I was a very young child. Most of the time they pass and I forget them again but I can recall quite a few vague images at the moment and can say that I now know of at least the hint of hundreds of dreams. Sometimes this happens and I need to think for a minute to tell if what I'm remembering actually happened (was an actual memory) or 'just' dream. But for the most part I wouldn't say this is a problem and I'm not confusing reality for dreams. Still; it feels strange. The amount of dreams I'm remembering, even if just in part is beginning to feel like I have a whole other life that I've forgotten. The one I lived while I was asleep. This has began to change my entire view of sleep and dreams and reality.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

Some more oddities on dreams:
I've occasionally had a dream where within the dream I remember thinking; "Oh they're (referring to a person within the dream) doing this differently this time." As if I've dreamt this before; OR am I remembering an actual memory and dreaming about it that I've forgotten; OR is the familiarity just part of the delusion of the dream?

Often; (probably all the time) I 'think' to myself in my dreams. In other words; my self or ego is apparently active (although perhaps not as usual) during dreaming, which is interesting. So it's like I am still there as myself within the dream; me in another part of my mind experiencing the dream world.

Also since meditating I'm getting a better understanding of why the term 'stream of consciousness' exists. It literally seems to be that at times; like our brains (or a part of our brains) job is to merely constantly regurgitate data and churn out thoughts; words, images, emotions in a continuous stream; and another part of the brain has to somehow make sense of that.

Often if I wake early in the morning then fall back to sleep I begin dreaming immediately and it's interesting to watch my mind go from lying in bed comfortably to seeing/being somewhere else or seeing weird random things.

I feel like there is a ton of information about how all this works that I'm very much missing. If anyone wants to fill me in on as much as you know, feel free. Or point me to some good reading on it. Researching on your own without any guide is kind of difficult.
"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

"If you learn to laugh at your own stupidity, all your crap will turn into manure very fast. And manure is good for growth." -Sadhguru

Goofaholix

• Write something about yourself here
    • Theravada / Insight Meditation
Re: Remembering Dreams
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2019, 02:34:49 AM »
Generally when I am on retreat after it's been a few days I find for much of the night I am semi-lucid and aware that I'm dreaming.

Like you say "our brains (or a part of our brains) job is to merely constantly regurgitate data and churn out thoughts" and one soon becomes very aware of this when developing a meditation practice.  When you've observed the mind churning out this stuff all day while you're on the meditation cushion it's hardly surprising it does so overtime at night, observing the process of thought without buying into the story or believing it's something significant is the key to practicing with it.

Thanisaro85

• Practising vipassana, to eliminate suffering.
    • Vipassana, wat amphawan Singburi, thailand
Re: Remembering Dreams
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2019, 11:51:43 PM »
Intensive meditation make the always busy mind come to stillness, its a big change to the body and mind behaviour and different meditators experiences different thing. Just like smokers trying to quit ot non smoker pick up smoking, they experienced changes.

But back to meditation, you are to observe them and let it go, meaning, understand there are changes to your body and mind but let it go. If one keep drilling into what happened, it is distracting them from the practises

Some people like me face more hostility in social and obstacles in life after meditations. I had learnt to let it go.
A Mind Unshaken, when touches by worldy matter, sorrowless, secure and dustless, this is the ultimate great blessing~ Mangala Sutta