Author Topic: Long retreats  (Read 1795 times)

yadidb

Long retreats
« on: October 14, 2007, 10:59:52 AM »
has anyone done any long Vipassana retreats and willing to share some insights and experiences?

Ben

Re: Long retreats
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2007, 07:52:40 AM »
Hi Yadidb

I did the Teacher Self-Course (15 day) in India in 1989 and recently completed a 20-day course in New Zealand.  One insight I can share with you is that the maintenance of your practice from day-to-day, keeping your sila, extending mindfulness in different situations, dana, service, study is where you make the most profound progress on the path.  Walking on the Noble Eightfold Path requires us to just put one foot in front of the other.  As simple as it sounds, this is where you make your progress.
Kind regards

Ben

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Staff
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
Re: Long retreats
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2007, 09:36:19 AM »
yadidb

I can agree entirely with everything that Ben has said and add that long retreats take you deeper into the practice: deeper samadhi (calm-abiding or quiet-mind also synonymous with concentration or focus), deeper shila (effort or discipline).

Longer retreats are thoroughly recommended for the dedicated practitioner.

Personally I have lived in Dhamma centres for around three years. All of this time was retreat time though it was not all intense on-the-cushion practice time. The longest intensive practice retreat I have undertaken is 30 days of 14 - 15 hours sitting a day and this was the most profound experience of my life.

You sound thoroughly motivated to investigate the realities of the path of meditation. I could not encourage you more strongly than to put yourself in positions where you will be able to do this and the longer the uninterrupted periods of practice you can immerse yourself in the greater the fruits..

In the Dhamma,

Matthew

EDIT ps Here is a post which supports that intensive practice is very beneficial on the path.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2007, 04:29:13 AM by The Irreverent Buddhist »
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~