Author Topic: Obesity and Vipassana  (Read 216 times)

spandey101

• Who are you?
    • Nothing as of now
Obesity and Vipassana
« on: May 28, 2019, 03:08:24 PM »
Hi all,

This is my first post to this forum.

I am an obese adult, about to for my first Vipassana 10 day retreat. I weigh around 120KGs.

I was wondering that whether I'd be able to do the 10 day course (physically)?

Any and all advices are welcome.

Many thanks

Siddharth

• unlearning, relearning and letting go
Re: Obesity and Vipassana
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2019, 07:17:01 PM »
If you are going for the retreat by SN Goenka(his assistant teacher), I can assure that it would not be a problem at all.
Like anyone obese or not, there is likely to be some discomfort in sitting for long hours, but they are very accommodating in this regard and will help you with extra pillows, personal guidance and you are free to respond to your body by walking out of the hall and stretching etc.

Other than this aspect, your obesity will not be any issue.

Also, you will only get very light snacks for dinner, say some fruit. Your body won't need more food than provided but you might out of habit feel hungry going to bed for the first few days.

All in all, I would encourage you to take this step on the path if you body weight is the only thing putting you in doubt.
And what is good, Phædrus,
And what is not good...
Need we ask anyone to tell us these things?

spandey101

• Who are you?
    • Nothing as of now
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2019, 07:53:10 PM »
Thanks a lot, Siddarth. Your informative advice is really appreciated.

Yes, I would be going for a 10 day retreat in India. It is conducted by Dhamma.org. I hope it is the one you're talking about (the one with Goenka's assistant teachers).

Could you kindly, if you have some spare time of course, tell me anything about this retreat/session? Some key things a first timer should be aware of? If you've done it yourself?

Kind regards

dharma bum

• Certified Zen Master (second degree black belt)
    • vipassana
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2019, 02:48:44 AM »
You can also ask for a chair.
Mostly ignorant

Siddharth

• unlearning, relearning and letting go
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2019, 11:32:02 AM »
Thanks a lot, Siddarth. Your informative advice is really appreciated.

Yes, I would be going for a 10 day retreat in India. It is conducted by Dhamma.org. I hope it is the one you're talking about (the one with Goenka's assistant teachers).

Could you kindly, if you have some spare time of course, tell me anything about this retreat/session? Some key things a first timer should be aware of? If you've done it yourself?

Kind regards

Keep it simple is the best advice I can offer. do not take any kind of predispositions if possible. these retreats are designed and refined keeping in mind first timers like you.

And what is good, Phædrus,
And what is not good...
Need we ask anyone to tell us these things?