Author Topic: How far are we taking our sila/morality?  (Read 155 times)

garyatblackhouse

• Getting on with it
    • Practice Vipassana. Retreat at Thai Forrest.
How far are we taking our sila/morality?
« on: May 20, 2019, 07:45:20 PM »
Hi everyone,

There are aspects of morality I would like to ask about and discuss. It involved the little things, things I have neglected to think about until just lately. Things like streaming TV shows on the internet, not wearing my seat-belt on public transport, bringing my bike on public transport and not paying for it unless the driver asks me to, going to the local school and filling a few bottles of filtered water, lighting a candle at the church and not paying the 20c even though they ask you to.

All of these, though perhaps minor examples, are still lies and stealing nonetheless, but for some reason I've never really considered it before. So my question, how far do you take your morality? Is it in every aspect of your life or just the bigger aspects, such as don't kill/harm another living being, don't rob a bank, don't commit adultery, and so on. It seems obvious to most not to do the latter, but what about the seemingly smaller day to day actions?

Or is it just common sense, and I should get over myself and stop taking it all so serious? :D

"If you haven't cried deeply a number of times, your meditation hasn't begun." - Ajahn Chah

garyatblackhouse

• Getting on with it
Re: How far are we taking our sila?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2019, 08:53:42 PM »
I read back over this and it sounds more obvious than I thought. I've been fairly lax with my sila over the years but aiming to put it right, been thinking so much about the big things, like weed, meanwhile passively taking little bits of olive oil from my housemates cupboard.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 09:04:43 PM by garyatblackhouse »
"If you haven't cried deeply a number of times, your meditation hasn't begun." - Ajahn Chah

Dharmic Tui

• Something
    • Some Theravada, some secular
Re: How far are we taking our sila/morality?
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2019, 09:08:41 AM »
In all honesty these all lead to bad karma. You should behave the opposite, donate more than 20 cents, make your housemate tea, etc.

Heitentinger

• Some random guy
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2019, 01:56:13 PM »
Personally , I wouldn't bother much about it.

Everybody has his own morallity and I don't belive that if you decide that your action aren't immoral it will affect you in any way. Good actions are good because they make you feel good, and bad actions are bad because they make you feel bad. If you don't feel bad, it's not a bad action.  :P

In my sence stealling can be very moral if done like Robin Hood (only my opinion). You are the only juge of what you are doing. :angel:

I know a lot of people won't agree with me but that's only my opinion.
You can never be sure to really understand something, until you are certain you can't totally understand it.

dharma bum

• Certified Zen Master (second degree black belt)
    • vipassana
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2019, 03:16:48 PM »
I think the goal is be free of attachment to 20 cents or not feel the need to take without permission. The way to detachment is to practise morality as a first step.

If the mind is resistant to spending 20 cents extra, then it is an opportunity to practise detachment.  I think that is the theory.
Mostly ignorant

Dharmic Tui

• Something
    • Some Theravada, some secular
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2019, 04:17:35 PM »
Perhaps this may be of use.

https://tricycle.org/magazine/noble-eightfold-path/

I think true Sila requires conscious effort. We are all living in glass houses to an extent.

garyatblackhouse

• Getting on with it
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2019, 06:08:43 PM »
Thanks for your responses. Taking it all on board. My foundation has been very much lacking since I began meditating, but I believe it is growing with age and effort. I feel as if I've had to learn the hard way my entire life, it's one thing the buddha, anyone else or an establishment/organization saying "be good" but it's another thing actually knowing that you should be good and what the motivations for it should be.

It's probably a rebellious thing taken from my youth, if my mother or the church say don't steal and don't lie and don't drink, you had best be sure'd I'm going to test that out! Someone told me once that when someone tells a child "don't" they hear "do." I think I had to learn for myself, basically. Still a few areas to work with but getting there, paradoxically, in the moment. I don't think perfect morality happens over-night, as described in the book "the buddha's brain." There seems to be a process, for me anyway. Others might catch on quicker, or have a different perspective, or just be more faithful and courageous.

stillpointdancer

• stillpointdancer
  • Retired teacher, deepening understanding of Dharma
    • Insight meditation
    • Exploring the results of 30 years of meditating
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2019, 12:19:17 PM »
Thanks for your responses. Taking it all on board. My foundation has been very much lacking since I began meditating, but I believe it is growing with age and effort. I feel as if I've had to learn the hard way my entire life, it's one thing the buddha, anyone else or an establishment/organization saying "be good" but it's another thing actually knowing that you should be good and what the motivations for it should be.

It's probably a rebellious thing taken from my youth, if my mother or the church say don't steal and don't lie and don't drink, you had best be sure'd I'm going to test that out! Someone told me once that when someone tells a child "don't" they hear "do." I think I had to learn for myself, basically. Still a few areas to work with but getting there, paradoxically, in the moment. I don't think perfect morality happens over-night, as described in the book "the buddha's brain." There seems to be a process, for me anyway. Others might catch on quicker, or have a different perspective, or just be more faithful and courageous.

My argument is that if you had perfect Buddhist morals you wouldn't need to practice or even be a Buddhist. There are two different schools of thought, which are both right. If you act morally, then your brain changes and you become a more moral person. If you undertake certain programmes of meditation, your brain changes and you become a more moral person. Either or both is good, but it depends on you.
“You do not need to leave your room. Remain sitting at your table and listen. Do not even listen, simply wait, be quiet, still and solitary. The world will freely offer itself to you to be unmasked, it has no choice, it will roll in ecstasy at your feet.” Franz Kafka