Author Topic: Could listening to a guided meditation can help to boost mindfulness?  (Read 280 times)

Ysa@29

• Self-control is a strength. Calmness is a mastery.
    • self-practice
Namaste!
 I just want to know if listening to a guided meditation can help to boost mindfulness. Mindfulness meditation practice sometimes hard to do it alone. I tried to research in youtube then I found this,
{snip ....}and a lot more... Now, how will you boost mindfulness( or being aware of what is arising) with the help of guided meditation?

Thanks in advance for the tips! :)
« Last Edit: June 03, 2019, 03:22:11 PM by Matthew »

raushan

• Staff
  • from India
    • S. N. Goenka switched to Samatha Forest Tradition
From my experience guided meditation in Buddhism isn't recommended. If you want to start the meditation there is very clear instructions written for the meditation which is written by one of the member of this forum. You can find at the home page of this forum. I would suggest to do that.

Guided meditation can be helpful for the beginners but as you progress you should do without any guidance.

Goofaholix

• Write something about yourself here
    • Theravada / Insight Meditation
It's helpful for beginners, and it's often practiced in groups to help get people settled in or to help them try new techniques.

I wouldn't recommend it as a long term practice though, and when listening to the instructions if you want to practice mindfulness then I think the primary object to be mindful of is then the listening.

stillpointdancer

• stillpointdancer
  • Retired teacher, deepening understanding of Dharma
    • Insight meditation
    • Exploring the results of 30 years of meditating
To use a sports analogy, say golf, you learn a couple of basic skills, practice them until you have developed them to a stage where they will let you become a more successful golfer, and then you see how useful they are in all the situations you find yourself in around the golf course. Mindfulness meditation such as mindfulness of breathing is a basic skill you then develop, both on the mat and out and about in everyday life.

The interesting question is why people practice mindfulness, and how they choose a programme of mindfulness practice to bring this about. I experimented with lots of things, but always came back to a few basic meditations on a regular basis.
“You do not need to leave your room. Remain sitting at your table and listen. Do not even listen, simply wait, be quiet, still and solitary. The world will freely offer itself to you to be unmasked, it has no choice, it will roll in ecstasy at your feet.” Franz Kafka

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Staff
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.

I just want to know if listening to a guided meditation can help to boost mindfulness.

Short term perhaps, but only to start you going. Long term no, it is an obstacle.

Mindfulness meditation practice sometimes hard to do it alone.

All the more reason to keep at it and more quickly find out why you find it hard alone.

Now, how will you boost mindfulness( or being aware of what is arising) with the help of guided meditation?

To ask another question, how will you boost mindfulness while you distract yourself from what is arising with the outside stimulus of a guided meditation? It is your discomfort with what is arising that makes meditation hard - being mindful of the discomfort and distraction is the quickest way to move beyond those obstacles.
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Staff
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
Can you please stop posting these videos Ysa@29. You seem to be promoting them as they are all you have posted.

I've removed them for now, and your latest post. If you post more you will be banned.
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~